Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I know some things have changed since I was last one here
Yenisei Wrote:For law school, it really doesn't matter what courses you take- get good grades and as good an LSAT score as you can. However, you should not go to law school unless you can get into a Top 14 school, and perhaps even only a Top 6, which is an extremely tall order. The debt load for law school isn't worth it for the vast majority of people.

For an MBA for an MS in Finance, make sure you check the admissions requirements for any foundation courses and knock them out as part of your bachelor's, and be aware that you will need calculus and statistics for any MBA or masters level program worth its salt. Don't get into too much debt for an MBA.

So it sounds like business is the way to go and possibly Finance. I do not understand where to check for foundation courses I apologize can you elaborate or point me in the right direction. It also sounds like you have already walked the path that i am starting to take my first steps on so you have a course list that you have taken or will the fine people at TESC help me with that thanks so much again.
Take a look at Financial World's posts on the BSBA in Finance for the best info I have seen. I'd advise considering accounting instead of finance, or a dual major unless time and finances prevent that. Adams State College and Columbia College have some good accounting and finance offerings, and there are a few TECEP exams- highly recommended due to their reasonable price tag.

If you get a BSBA, you are probably going to be covered as far as foundation courses go, but as I said make sure you have calculus and statistics (statistics is very useful in business and economics and you will see it again in graduate business programs). Foundation courses may vary somewhat by MBA programs, so check with the schools you are interested in as well as taking their MBA tuition into account.
Yenisei Wrote:Take a look at Financial World's posts on the BSBA in Finance for the best info I have seen. I'd advise considering accounting instead of finance, or a dual major unless time and finances prevent that. Adams State College and Columbia College have some good accounting and finance offerings, and there are a few TECEP exams- highly recommended due to their reasonable price tag.

If you get a BSBA, you are probably going to be covered as far as foundation courses go, but as I said make sure you have calculus and statistics (statistics is very useful in business and economics and you will see it again in graduate business programs). Foundation courses may vary somewhat by MBA programs, so check with the schools you are interested in as well as taking their MBA tuition into account.

I already work in the finance industry I am an annuity wholesaler. I just need the degree in business or finance to move up the ladder further. The accounting degree would not help me at all so I appreciate it but I feel that might be a step backwards... They told me I needed a degree in Law(which from the looks of things is the path of most resistance and expense) , business or finance. From what I can see here it looks like business is the fastest and easiest am I correct in my assumptions?
The very fastest and easiest business degree would be the General Management BSBA from TESC.
If you're looking for the path of least resistance, take Yenisei's advise. If you would like a business degree with a concentration in finance, check out my previous post. I list my whole degree plan. I don't know that any of the Big 3 offer a finance degree, but they have business degrees with a concentrations in finance.
FinancialWorld Wrote:If you're looking for the path of least resistance, take Yenisei's advise. If you would like a business degree with a concentration in finance, check out my previous post. I list my whole degree plan. I don't know that any of the Big 3 offer a finance degree, but they have business degrees with a concentrations in finance.
wow that sounds amazing..... do you know how big of a time difference there is with a the concentration in finance vs just business...... if its only a couple of courses seems worth it I will follow your plan most likely how long did it take you if you dont mind me asking.
acesup_11 Wrote:wow that sounds amazing..... do you know how big of a time difference there is with a the concentration in finance vs just business...... if its only a couple of courses seems worth it I will follow your plan most likely how long did it take you if you dont mind me asking.
You could probably test out of the whole general business degree. That would be the quickest, but also everyone and their brother is getting that. You may want to go a little more specialized, like I did with my finance concentration.

With the finance concentration, you have to take a few courses, which will lengthen the amount of time it will take. Only by a few months though.

It took me just around two years, start to finish, to complete all coursework. I won't receive my degree until December, but that's OK. With dedication, it could be completed in about 12-24 months easy. It helps to have a plan Wink

If you want to get started right now, start taking all the CLEPs and DSSTs that are listed on my degree plan. I believe you said that you had previous credits, so only take the exams that absolutely won't duplicate. This will allow you to begin knocking out credits, and give you a little more time to figure out exactly what you want to do.

Let me know if you need any help. I'm glade to help because others have helped me.

FW
BSBA in Finance from TESC by fall 2011
Total: 147 credits
It might help to look at financial world's plan and old postings. You will see a lot of these questions have already been answered in the past.
My wife has a finance degree and is doing very well for herself, but I doubt that a degree in accounting would hold you back.
Thomas Edison has a degree in financial management too.
There is a lot of overlap until you get to the end so just start knocking out the business core:
microeconomics, macroeconomics, marketing, management, statistics, accounting I&II, business law, information systems etc.

I bet you could knock out 4 CLEPs per month if you dedicate yourself.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:It might help to look at financial world's plan and old postings. You will see a lot of these questions have already been answered in the past.
My wife has a finance degree and is doing very well for herself, but I doubt that a degree in accounting would hold you back.
Thomas Edison has a degree in financial management too.
There is a lot of overlap until you get to the end so just start knocking out the business core:
microeconomics, macroeconomics, marketing, management, statistics, accounting I&II, business law, information systems etc.

I bet you could knock out 4 CLEPs per month if you dedicate yourself.

I am going to really commit my self to this and try to get through as fast as possible.... would it be a better idea to bang out the actual business degree first to just get it done then do the classes afterward for the concentration in finance? Can that even be done that way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm back. So much has changed! Snickerdoodle 9 2,093 06-01-2018, 07:36 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Age waiver denied from TESU. Policy changed Jan. 1, 2018 stampbuyme 61 11,579 05-31-2018, 08:05 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
  Changed from BSBA in CIS back to Gneral Management tsimmns 14 1,919 05-03-2017, 12:29 PM
Last Post: tsimmns
  speed up things at tesc? creditmonsoon 10 1,486 11-03-2016, 10:58 AM
Last Post: msd2012
  Have the Arnold Fletcher Award requirements changed? Laura.C 5 1,687 07-20-2016, 04:23 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Been gone, how have things changed at TESU? loops77 2 747 05-13-2016, 11:59 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Doing things a little backwards at TESC? kb4ns1 12 1,134 11-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Last Post: mednat
  This website changed my life. I went from NOTHING to AAS, BS, MS, CISSP, in < 3 years brucet3 15 1,613 10-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Ladyplf
  TESC changed Gen Ed Reauirements? swalke321 16 1,088 07-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Getting back into the swing of things...TESC related JBS 5 1,042 04-13-2015, 05:42 AM
Last Post: JBS