Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need advice on investments
I value everyone here with their neverending expertise on many subjects, so I ask those who are knowledgeable in the area.

I am looking to start investing, I am still fairly young (26), well I feel old but that is another subject lol. Anyway I am finally starting to realize I need to make some investments, stocks, bonds, ira ect...

But I am unsure of what to do and where to start.

Last week I started with a CD, I know it's not much but it's a start. But I really want to start an IRA but unsure of how they work or really what they do. I know Roth seems better because even though you are taxed to begin with, all your earnings are not.

But after that I am lost.

So if anyone has tips or advice that would be great!
Cleps Passed: (36) English Comp w/essay, Freshman Comp, A & I Lit, Princ of Management, , College Math, Humanities, US History 1 and US History 2, Marketing

Dantes Passed: (48) Astronomy, Supervision, Bus. Math, Intro to Bus, Human Resource Management, Ethics in America, Tech Writing, Intro to Computing, World Religions, Personal Finance, Intro to LE, Org Behavior, Environment & Humanity, Here's to your Health and Criminal Justice.

Traditional: (43)

FEMA: (13)

Military: (70+)
cinderly Wrote:I suppose which vehicle is "right" depends on why you're investing. Most of my investments are geared toward having a secure (and even awesome) retirement. I have both a 401(k) and a Roth IRA. The 401(k) is great because my prior employers all provided matching funds and you can dump more money annually into a 401(k) than a Roth.

I like the Roth because I theoretically won't have to pay taxes on my stock earnings once I hit 59-1/2, but the low annual contribution limit might be an issue for someone in a hurry to build up their retirement savings.

As far as brokerages go, I don't have any I'd swear off. I'm partial to Vanguard because I like their index funds, but I was with Charles Schwab in my early 20s and didn't have any complaints there, either.

I try to buy and hold as much as possible, and I go for stocks or funds that have staying power. I like funds better than individual stocks, generally. (The Vanguard 500 & the Energy Index are my present favorites.)

I've done a poor job as far as diversifying my portfolio. It's all stocks. I need to identify some bonds to invest in to reallocate my risk, since I'm a little closer to retirement now than in my twenties.

I'm also investigating retirement annuities, but I'm not sold on them yet.

My favorite sites for financial advice:

The Motley Fool
Generation X Finance
Money.com
Get Rich Slowly

I am interested in starting some stocks but honestly don't know where to start.
Cleps Passed: (36) English Comp w/essay, Freshman Comp, A & I Lit, Princ of Management, , College Math, Humanities, US History 1 and US History 2, Marketing

Dantes Passed: (48) Astronomy, Supervision, Bus. Math, Intro to Bus, Human Resource Management, Ethics in America, Tech Writing, Intro to Computing, World Religions, Personal Finance, Intro to LE, Org Behavior, Environment & Humanity, Here's to your Health and Criminal Justice.

Traditional: (43)

FEMA: (13)

Military: (70+)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cruise Advice/Other Travel Suggestions burbuja0512 5 1,325 03-19-2024, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Need travel advice Ghostwill 1 524 02-12-2024, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 18 1,214 06-11-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,103 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What is Good Advice for Future Expats? Kal Di 3 690 03-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Messdiener
  How to Evaluate Advice (Before Using It) Kal Di 2 763 03-08-2022, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  UDACITY advice Cofffeee 8 1,290 06-25-2020, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  The Best Life Advice Thread natshar 8 2,505 02-18-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: a4tunatemom
  HR Advice burbuja0512 17 2,939 02-04-2019, 03:56 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question Nervous about transferring , any advice 2L8 2 2,293 10-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Last Post: davewill