Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I suck at life choices, help?
I suck at making decisions. I've been consumed with this for a while now. I would like to come to some conclusions soon. Because it effects the credits that I get with my remaining 6 from Study.com and how I should be spending my time over the next few months. I can start WGU on Aug 1st or I need to submit my application fee to UofPeople by the 5/25

My goal is MS: Statistics. But, I'm not sure which route I should take to get there, but I've narrowed down my choices. In both cases, I'll be able to work fulltime for the next year at least. My gut tells me UofPeople because it is less expensive. But quite honestly, I would like to get done with the undergrad portion of school ASAP. I'm being pressured to move across the country, so love for everything to be wrapped up by then.

UofPeople:
  • Classes in Java, Stats, Machine Learning with Electives Stats + R and Biostats (if I take the preqre health courses, though)
  • Doesn't accept trasfer credit
  • BUT, is considering accepting up to 20 credits for $17/cr evaluation. If I go this route, I figured I'd save all my general ed for last so I can apply them when/if they do start accepting credits.
  • will cost aout $4000 total, which is about $200/5 month term
  • I won't be done until 2020ish. You can only take 2 courses per term. But you can take 3 if your GPA stays high enough. Also, if they do accept credits soon, that deducts another 3-4 terms. I actually found out this school in about 2014 and said that I would wait for them to accept transfer credit. But, if I went ahead and started, I would have been done by now!

WGU
  • Classes in Java, Stats, R Langauge and Machine learning.
  • I'll be done in about a year. As soon as you pass a course you can start on the next one. I've taken alot of the courses through self-study sources( EDx.org,efor example)So alot of it will be a refresher and homework/projects.
  • For some reason I reallydon't want to take A+ and Network+. I attempted to study and my brain completely shut OFF.
  • The only way in is by getting a tech cert. I decided to get the MTA Database certification.
  • My Finacial aid is uncertain. I have one default private school loan. Also, because of my divorce and my taxes the FAFSA is going to be a hassle.
Currently working on: BSBA-Accounting @ WGU

Open Source Degrees: Computer Science | Data Science | Game Development
I fear that some master's programs will not accept a non regionally accredited degree like UofPeople. Check the requirements for the master's programs you'd like to apply to before picking the bachelor's.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:I fear that some master's programs will not accept a non regionally accredited degree like UofPeople. Check the requirements for the master's programs you'd like to apply to before picking the bachelor's.

Further to that, there are a few RA competency based programs that are cheaper than UofPeople. Such as the Patten, WGU for your MBA.
Patten=2k/4month, WGU=3.5k/6m - MS Stats is something to look into, I would suggest after the MBA for future or further specialization.
I would highly suggest you finish your Bachelors first, if it's WGU, go with them until you finish your MBA as well. They're well recognized.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I would work backward from the degree you want to end up with, and figure out what will get you there.

If WGU's MS in Data Analytics will work, that's a great price. And it would probably be a good fit with the BS in Data Management/Data Analytics.

First, I would apply to WGU to see what you have, and what you could get done cheaply before enrolling. I would make sure all of my Gen Ed's were completed except maybe Critical Thinking (supposed to be quick and easy at WGU). Then, I would do any other courses that will transfer into the degree:

SL's C++ Programming course comes in as Scripting & Programming - Foundations (on SL's website)
Study.com's PM course MAY (or may not) come in as Business of IT - PM (can't hurt to take it)
Management Info Systems (DSST or Davar) may work for Business of IT - Applications (worked for my husband)
Network Technology (TECEP) may come in as Networks

Then, enroll, and get the BS.

Then, get the MS. I'd probably wait to see if I could work somewhere where they'd pay for it before doing it though.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Of course, all of my advice is predicated on whether or not WGU requires that all transcripts from all schools be sent. If you have a school loan in default, then the school may not release your transcripts, and then you've got a problem.

Also, Financial aid is not uncertain - if you have defaulted on a school loan, you should not get financial aid from anywhere else. That's not up in the air, it's pretty much a certainty.

My advice, really, is to pay off the student loan. It will haunt you for the rest of your days. You may even be denied jobs because of it - companies look at things like that all of the time.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
WGU will definitely not let you get away with not sending all transcripts. They won't even let you enroll in an undergraduate program if they don't have your ACE, CLEP, and DSST transcripts. If they recognize courses on a transcript from a source you didn't list, they'll add that source to the list of transcripts you need to send.

I don't recommend University of the People or WGU. University of the People IS cheaper than the competency-based programs. Hardly anyone finishes an undergraduate degree at a competency-based school in one term, even when transferring in around 90 credits. University of the People, however, does not accept transfer credits.

There are only three schools that I know of that have an agreement to accept University of the People graduates. These are very expensive schools that hardly have any online programs, are extremely expensive, and are difficult to get in to. Otherwise, you would have a limited number of options among graduate programs that will accept graduates of nationally accredited schools. These schools will likely not have a masters program in statistics.

I do not recommend WGU because the school does not award letter grades. A pass/fail is the equivalent of a B. If you're trying to get into a competitive program, then this is not going to cut it unless you have super high GRE scores. We had a member here who completed a degree at Excelsior and got into Texas A&M's online masters program.

bjcheung77 Wrote:Further to that, there are a few RA competency based programs that are cheaper than UofPeople. Such as the Patten, WGU for your MBA.
Patten=2k/4month, WGU=3.5k/6m - MS Stats is something to look into, I would suggest after the MBA for future or further specialization.
I would highly suggest you finish your Bachelors first, if it's WGU, go with them until you finish your MBA as well. They're well recognized.

Did I miss something? When did the OP ask about an MBA? Was that in another thread? If the goal is an MS in Statistics, then an MBA is a waste of time and money.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:WGU will definitely not let you get away with not sending all transcripts. They won't even let you enroll in an undergraduate program if they don't have your ACE, CLEP, and DSST transcripts. If they recognize courses on a transcript from a source you didn't list, they'll add that source to the list of transcripts you need to send.

I do not recommend WGU because the school does not award letter grades. A pass/fail is the equivalent of a B. If you're trying to get into a competitive program, then this is not going to cut it unless you have super high GRE scores. We had a member here who completed a degree at Excelsior and got into Texas A&M's online masters program.

Did I miss something? When did the OP ask about an MBA? Was that in another thread? If the goal is an MS in Statistics, then an MBA is a waste of time and money.

I remember a few years ago, my ex-husband was applying and he found that WGU can exclude a school. I don't know the specifics, but the form asked for unofficial transcripts and a valid reason why you want it to be excluded. If they still offer this, I may not be able take advantage of it, though. Also, earning a MBA is my signature. Initially, I wanted to do MS in Statistics and an MBA from UofPeople just because. Anyway, if I went there, I planned on going two terms full time.

As for MS programs. I am very interested in Coursera and Georgia Tech's MS in CompSci and Analytics. I think a WGU grad got into the MS CompSci verison at Udacity. I have to search the forums for my second and third pick since I lost my bookmarks. But, the only requirements were high level math, programming and statistics experience.

dfrecore Wrote:Of course, all of my advice is predicated on whether or not WGU requires that all transcripts from all schools be sent. If you have a school loan in default, then the school may not release your transcripts, and then you've got a problem.

Also, Financial aid is not uncertain - if you have defaulted on a school loan, you should not get financial aid from anywhere else. That's not up in the air, it's pretty much a certainty.

My advice, really, is to pay off the student loan. It will haunt you for the rest of your days. You may even be denied jobs because of it - companies look at things like that all of the time.

I need to get on that ASAP. My Student loan situation sucks. My defaulted loan is from ITT and course, that's where there missing transcript is from. Anyway, I didn't really mean it is uncertain, its just going take a lot of work to fix. Ont op of all of the defaulted mess, the FAFSA now requires a year prior's tax statements - back when I was married. Then I have to request for them to consider my current situation.

Brownie82 Wrote:I remember a few years ago, my ex-husband was applying and he found that WGU can exclude a school. I don't know the specifics, but the form asked for unofficial transcripts and a valid reason why you want it to be excluded. If they still offer this, I may not be able take advantage of it, though.

WGU did tell me that I could petition to exclude my CSU Global transcript. There was just one stupid, pass/fail test on that transcript, and I was never a matriculated student there. I didn't bother to petition because I didn't meet the admissions requirements for experience, a qualifying associates, or an acceptable certification. I don't know if owing a school money will be considered a valid reason for excluding a transcript, but you can try. WGU ticked me off because they couldn't answer the simple question of whether or not my experience or associates degree qualified for admission. I had to spend over $100 on sending transcripts that gave them no additional information to make that determination.

Do you have the option of dumping your ITT Tech credits to discharge your loans?

Quote:Also, earning a MBA is my signature. Initially, I wanted to do MS in Statistics and an MBA from UofPeople just because. Anyway, if I went there, I planned on going two terms full time.

I see. I still think it's a waste. What would be your purpose for earning the MBA?

Quote:As for MS programs. I am very interested in Coursera and Georgia Tech's MS in CompSci and Analytics. I think a WGU grad got into the MS CompSci verison at Udacity. I have to search the forums for my second and third pick since I lost my bookmarks. But, the only requirements were high level math, programming and statistics experience.

That's because the Georgia Tech program is not all that competitive. They don't even require a graduate admissions test. If you have a lot of graded credits from elsewhere, then the lack of a GPA from WGU courses shouldn't hurt as much.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:WGU did tell me that I could petition to exclude my CSU Global transcript. There was just one stupid, pass/fail test on that transcript, and I was never a matriculated student there. I didn't bother to petition because I didn't meet the admissions requirements for experience, a qualifying associates, or an acceptable certification. I don't know if owing a school money will be considered a valid reason for excluding a transcript, but you can try. WGU ticked me off because they couldn't answer the simple question of whether or not my experience or associates degree qualified for admission. I had to spend over $100 on sending transcripts that gave them no additional information to make that determination.

Do you have the option of dumping your ITT Tech credits to discharge your loans?

I see. I still think it's a waste. What would be your purpose for earning the MBA?

That's because the Georgia Tech program is not all that competitive. They don't even require a graduate admissions test. If you have a lot of graded credits from elsewhere, then the lack of a GPA from WGU courses shouldn't hurt as much.

I've completed all the steps needed for admission except for that transcript. I wish they would at least evaluate my current transcripts.

Also, I dropped out of ITT without even earning any credit. I can't even remember why anymore - I think this was back in 2003ish. I was always enrolled somewhere so that loan was always in deferment. I had completely forgotten about it until it was time to consolidate and I found that I couldn't.

Brownie82 Wrote:As for MS programs. I am very interested in Coursera and Georgia Tech's MS in CompSci and Analytics. I think a WGU grad got into the MS CompSci verison at Udacity. I have to search the forums for my second and third pick since I lost my bookmarks. But, the only requirements were high level math, programming and statistics experience.

I need to get on that ASAP. My Student loan situation sucks. My defaulted loan is from ITT and course, that's where there missing transcript is from. Anyway, I didn't really mean it is uncertain, its just going take a lot of work to fix. Ont op of all of the defaulted mess, the FAFSA now requires a year prior's tax statements - back when I was married. Then I have to request for them to consider my current situation.
I can tell you for sure that GTech is going to require that missing transcript even if you talk WGU out of requiring it. I would think that most other Master's programs will as well.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Mother's Day! Life is Good! Vanity Update Charles Fout 4 666 10-14-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
Video A Modern Movie That Shows the Brutal Life of Communism LevelUP 1 531 04-10-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Sad My Whole Life Was a Lie LevelUP 10 4,011 07-24-2022, 05:52 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  A Conversation About Inflation, Life Abroad, and Education Kal Di 0 532 05-31-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Why African Americans Prefer Life in Africa Kal Di 18 1,504 05-19-2022, 08:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  Living the Good Life on $24,000 a Year? Retire in Your 20’s or 30’s? LevelUP 34 5,741 03-26-2022, 12:28 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  How to Minimize Inflation in Your Life Kal Di 16 1,524 03-24-2022, 08:43 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Life After Career Switch Alpha 1 683 03-04-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Great Resignation - Better Balance of Life & Work? bjcheung77 5 979 01-30-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: uncapentin
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 929 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher