Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think I'm ready to take American Government but I feel unsure.
I haven't taken a CLEP exam before. All of my reading here seemed to indicate that American Government is a bit tougher than average, so that made me nervous.

So I've purchased the REA book, a text book (New American Democracy by Fiorina and Peterson). I also have used the IC cards and I also just acquired access to the Peterson's exams.

I read the textbook over a somewhat long period (I started in August and finished at the beginning of the month). I started working through the IC cards shortly before finishing the textbook. I then took the REA diagnostic and did quite well. I then read the REA book to review and fill in some small gaps in the textbook and then took the first REA practice test and again did pretty well. I took the official practice exam you get from the official CLEP study guide and did pretty well (I imagine this is beginning to feel repetitive).

Finally I took a Peterson's exam and did slightly worse than my average on all the other practice tests but I've also heard those tend to be harder than average for other available sources.

I'm not one to normally get nervous about tests but this is literally the last thing I need to do to finish my degree and graduate.

Here are my scores on the various practice tests I've taken:

REA Diagnostic Exam - 96% (48/50 correct)
REA Practice Exam I - 92% (92/100 correct)
Highest IC Flash Cards Score - 92%
Official Clep Practice Exam 2017 - 96% (86/90 correct)
Peterson's Practice Exam I - 80% (80/100 correct)

I take the exam on Tuesday. I plan to take the last REA practice exam and the last two Peterson's test before then.

Does this seem to indicate that I am ready to pass the exam?
You'll do great. Go for it!!!
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Take deep breaths, you're going to ace it! Smile
CLEP - Introduction to Psychology, Introduction Sociology, Human Growth and Development, College Mathematics, Educational Psychology, Humanities
ALEKS - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry, Introduction to Statistic, TEEX: Cybersecurity for Everyone
Study.com - Intro to World Religion, Western Civilization 1, Western Civilization 2, Abnormal Psychology, Info Sys and Comp Apps, American Gov't, Social Psychology, Personal Finance,
FizzixDegree Wrote:I haven't taken a CLEP exam before. All of my reading here seemed to indicate that American Government is a bit tougher than average, so that made me nervous.

So I've purchased the REA book, a text book (New American Democracy by Fiorina and Peterson). I also have used the IC cards and I also just acquired access to the Peterson's exams.

I read the textbook over a somewhat long period (I started in August and finished at the beginning of the month). I started working through the IC cards shortly before finishing the textbook. I then took the REA diagnostic and did quite well. I then read the REA book to review and fill in some small gaps in the textbook and then took the first REA practice test and again did pretty well. I took the official practice exam you get from the official CLEP study guide and did pretty well (I imagine this is beginning to feel repetitive).

Finally I took a Peterson's exam and did slightly worse than my average on all the other practice tests but I've also heard those tend to be harder than average for other available sources.

I'm not one to normally get nervous about tests but this is literally the last thing I need to do to finish my degree and graduate.

Here are my scores on the various practice tests I've taken:

REA Diagnostic Exam - 96% (48/50 correct)
REA Practice Exam I - 92% (92/100 correct)
Highest IC Flash Cards Score - 92%
Official Clep Practice Exam 2017 - 96% (86/90 correct)
Peterson's Practice Exam I - 80% (80/100 correct)

I take the exam on Tuesday. I plan to take the last REA practice exam and the last two Peterson's test before then.

Does this seem to indicate that I am ready to pass the exam?

Yes you are very ready. Schedule your exam and maybe just work on that extra 8% on IC to be very sure. I was scoring around 80% on REA tests and hit close to 60's on the CLEP test. Think I got 61 and 59 when I was only hitting 80's. When I was hitting 70's I still was getting 55's and passing scores. You should be fine. I have to take the A & I Lit CLEP in a few weeks and I hate these types of test. Hope I do well enough. Don't care if i get exactly a 50 ill be happy. Then just Biology and I'm done with CLEPS!!!
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
You will do great!! I passed with a 67 using Instacert, Peterson's practice tests and REA. You sound super prepared. Don't doubt yourself.
Took the test this morning. Got a 75. Definitely thanks to this forum for pointing the way to the resources for this test.
Good luck! You are ready! :hurray:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The American Dream Academy (TADA) coming to an end in April 2024 Vle045 41 5,856 04-17-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,439 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  European-American University Degree Mill elcastor21 21 2,414 11-08-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Johann
  Life Experience degree from the Mexican Government itself elcastor21 6 591 09-13-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Are alternative credits only an American thing? mojave 24 2,253 09-08-2023, 04:14 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  American Dream Academy Course Limit? vintage_jacket 13 4,368 02-16-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Major Regret? See How These Americans Feel About Their College Degrees LevelUP 4 795 11-26-2022, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Johann
  National Trends in Grade Inflation for American Colleges LevelUP 1 509 09-21-2022, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Courcelles
  Most underemployed majors according to the U.S. Census American Community Survey sanantone 33 2,896 09-01-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Latin American University Rankings Alpha 0 422 07-14-2022, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Alpha