Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want to go to graduate school!
Yeah, some names are funny. How about the list of names for some college/university sports teams?
Here are some funny yet interesting ones: https://www.thoughtco.com/strangest-divi...mes-788263
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-13-2020, 02:07 PM)adegree4me Wrote: So I can’t get a bachelors at COSC and then get an MBA at WGU?

If you want an MBA, you're likely going to want to try to get a BSBA first. You should still be able to get an MBA even with a BALS/BALA degree but, again, it would be easiest to start with the BSBA immediately out of the gate since you don't already have a degree. I am not sure how easy/difficult this would be to get at COSC. At a glance, it appears that it wouldn't be too difficult to get a BSBA in Organizational Management using SDC as your main source except they want you to take Business Statistics and that's not something that SDC has.

You'd either have to take Business Statistics with them, adding another $1200 to the total degree price (still extremely low compared to others) or else get a BSBA from Excelsior or TESU.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
There is no reason to get a business undergraduate (BSBA) if you want to go later on an earn an MBA.  It might be helpful if you were 22, had no real work experience and just graduated with a bachelor degree and wanted to go straight through - but if you have even a few years work experience (and all jobs are in some type of business) it makes no practical difference.

Many people who don't have a business based bachelor go the MBA route specifically to obtain the business based credentials there later careers require. In many fields a better suited bachelor/MBA would look better than business, business, business (not well rounded education). If you have a specific school MBA in mind it does help to take any prerequisites while earning your bachelors (eg; statistics or economics are popular prerequisites - both subjects that fit well into gen eds/lib arts).

The shear number of quality MBA programs makes it relativity easy with any bachelor to pursue that degree path; getting into a top/ivy school program isn't most people's objective - they just want a quality program at an affordable cost.  I'm not anti-BSBA to MBA route; it works for some, but it is far from being the best.  I even started out on the MBA path (I've already dropped out of 3 MBA programs, and accepted to all I applied - no trouble getting in with my Big3 degree - I just found it so very boring, especially right after earning my BSBA. I have since found my perfect path with an MSDS). An important fact to remember is that most MBA candidates don't start until their about 28 and have 5 years of full-time work experience; this is not your typical right out of college group.

"What is the Best Undergrad Degree for an MBA?" https://www.topmba.com/blog/down-busines...degree-mba
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

You don't need a BSBA to get an MBA. But, it wouldn't hurt to take some classes to make the MBA easier to get. I probably would at least do Accounting I & II, Macro and Microeconomics, Finance and Statistics before tackling an MBA (and econ and stats are considered liberal arts courses, so at least you can use those in any degree).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
(12-14-2020, 01:35 AM)Thorne Wrote: How about the previously unfortunately-named University of Maryland University College?

That name NEVER made any sense! It sounded like a total scam. I know it's a real university with a campus and not bogus, but it sure sounded fake.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • eLearner, rachel83az
In this day and age, grad schools are looking at the whole student. I'll send a separate update, but with my TESC degree, with 110 non traditional credits, I got into American University's MBA and now into Georgetown (McDonough) MS Business Analytics.

They are going to look at your GPA, resume, GMAT/GRE (or they may waive it), and your history and personal story. Unless you are looking to get into a top 10 (which GMAT/GRE are going to be incredibly important), any of the "Big 3" will qualify so long as you have other attributes the college desires.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Prloko's post:
  • adegree4me
(12-14-2020, 08:42 AM)allvia Wrote: There is no reason to get a business undergraduate (BSBA) if you want to go later on an earn an MBA.  It might be helpful if you were 22, had no real work experience and just graduated with a bachelor degree and wanted to go straight through - but if you have even a few years work experience (and all jobs are in some type of business) it makes no practical difference.

Many people who don't have a business based bachelor go the MBA route specifically to obtain the business based credentials there later careers require. In many fields a better suited bachelor/MBA would look better than business, business, business (not well rounded education). 

Wow, I have to disagree, especially with the last comments. Having a business undergrad and then getting an MBA is like learning a lot about something and then fine tuning your skills to an elevated level. This shows your desire to increase your knowledge about business and encompassing as much knowledge through graduate level work by rounding out complex problem-solving skills, strategic leadership acumen or learn some additional skills around economics or operations above and beyond undergraduate degree

Most employers look highly upon this.
[-] The following 2 users Like AZDan's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
(12-26-2020, 12:56 AM)AZDan Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 08:42 AM)allvia Wrote: There is no reason to get a business undergraduate (BSBA) if you want to go later on an earn an MBA.  It might be helpful if you were 22, had no real work experience and just graduated with a bachelor degree and wanted to go straight through - but if you have even a few years work experience (and all jobs are in some type of business) it makes no practical difference.

Many people who don't have a business based bachelor go the MBA route specifically to obtain the business based credentials there later careers require. In many fields a better suited bachelor/MBA would look better than business, business, business (not well rounded education). 

Wow, I have to disagree, especially with the last comments. Having a business undergrad and then getting an MBA is like learning a lot about something and then fine tuning your skills to an elevated level. This shows your desire to increase your knowledge about business and encompassing as much knowledge through graduate level work by rounding out complex problem-solving skills, strategic leadership acumen or learn some additional skills around economics or operations above and beyond undergraduate degree

Agree with Dan here. While a separate Bachelors and Masters in different areas may be complementary, that is not always the case. A Bachelor of Engineering will commonly get a Masters of Engineering. Sometimes a Bach of Engineering will get an MBA. It all depends on your current journey and your planned endgame.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Prloko's post:
  • rachel83az

Not to mention how difficult many grad courses will be without that bachelor's degree foundation courses.  Just because one works in the business world doesn't mean that they have any understanding of accounting, financial management, human resources, or operations management. I can't imagine jumping into an MBA program without an undergrad accounting or financial management course. Talk about a nightmare! 

I took many business courses to get my AAS in business administration years ago. I've had to repeat a few to get UL credit and the UL version was definitely more difficult. The MBA version will be even more difficult and most MBA programs have a lot of papers which you don't typically in undergrad business programs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
I disagree wholeheartedly with AZDan and Prloko. My wife started her MBA and quit because she said she learned all of what she was doing in her undergraduate business program. In fact, a lot of people I have spoken to said that what they learned in their MBA was what they learned in their undergrad business programs. They only did it for the letters/promotions. If you think an MBA will fine-tune your business skills, you are mistaken as it is a general business degree. It is a not a specialized degree. If you want to fine tune your skill set then pursue a MS in Accounting, Finance, Business Analytics, etc.

(12-26-2020, 12:29 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Not to mention how difficult many grad courses will be without that bachelor's degree foundation courses.  Just because one works in the business world doesn't mean that they have any understanding of accounting, financial management, human resources, or operations management. I can't imagine jumping into an MBA program without an undergrad accounting or financial management course. Talk about a nightmare! 

I took many business courses to get my AAS in business administration years ago. I've had to repeat a few to get UL credit and the UL version was definitely more difficult. The MBA version will be even more difficult and most MBA programs have a lot of papers which you don't typically in undergrad business programs.
I never took an accounting or finance course in my life and had zero issues in my MBA program. Each person will be different of course. In fact, most top business schools accept students from varied backgrounds who have never taken a business course in their life and those students end up excelling and becoming directors of finance departments, CFOs, CEOs, etc.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,150 Yesterday, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 885 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,846 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,175 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 944 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,345 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,469 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,282 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,614 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 649 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz