Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
IBCLC to RA Doctorate
Hi everyone,

So, I have been trying to formulate a clear plan towards my doctorate at the cheapest price, as I am a homeschooling mom with very limited budget. Ultimately, I want to be able to teach at the college level for my church's missionary colleges, so I won't be making much money in the end. Currently, I work at one as the IT Admin for the midwifery department and I hope to do more teaching there and be a better asset for the school. Our school is working towards regional accreditation and I'd like to be counted on staff as one with a doctorate degree. Our school has a few majors - health, Bible, business, and education. 

I have a RA bachelors degree in chemical engineering, but it has been so long, I just can't imagine diving deep into that difficult material again. I have spent the last 12 years getting lay certifications in childbirth related professions, and I used to run a tutoring company. So, I feel that (women's) health or education would be the best fits for me and my interests. Since I am already working in the midwifery department, I would like to contribute more there and maybe help with teaching in the health department. So, I am leaning towards the health side of things. 

So, this is what I am thinking and have been working on with my tiny little budget.

1. Get my IBCLC (international board certified lactation consultant).
- I only need 4 more college-level classes to finish the health science prerequisites. Thankfully the board accepts ACE credits, etc. I finished Sociology at Saylor and am working on Nutrition at Study.com. I plan to do Intro to Biology at Straighter Line, Psychology at Saylor, and Infant Toddler Development at Cooper Smith. I hope to get these done by the end of December.
- I will take the 95 lactation education hours with Lactation Education Resources at $1200. 
- When you study with LER, they will hook you up with an internship to complete your clinicals for an additional $2000 can that can paid in monthly installments over the course of the year. I have to complete 500 hours of clinicals, then I can sit for the board exam.

I am hoping with my IBCLC I can get a telehealth part-time position (I have seen these available on Indeed.com) that can give me a little added income, while at the same time being able to contribute with more authority at the Midwifery Department at the mission college I work at. As I would now be able teach breastfeeding and I hope we can potentially start our own IBCLC education program there.

2. Get the cheapest/fastest masters degree I can get.
Let's start with the end in mind. So, I have been looking at American College of Education's Ed.D. in Public Health Education. I think that would fit really well with the IBCLC and be broad enough that I hope I can contribute teaching classes to the general health majors at our school. This doctorate only requires a masters degree with no specification as to subject matter. Please confirm for me based on this statement from their Admissions policy that they will accept a masters degree from a nationally accredited college?
  • For Bachelor’s and Post-Baccalaureate Level (excluding RN to BSN/MSN) Applicants:
    • Provide official transcripts from an institution indicating successful completion of the level of education required for entry to the program and any credits to be considered for transfer to a program.
      • Institution must be accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the US Department of Education (DOE) or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
      • Transcripts are considered official when mailed in a sealed envelope or through secured electronic transmission, directly from the institution attended to American College of Education or sent electronically. 
If I am understanding correctly, ACE will accept a nationally accredited masters degree, correct? If so, based on my research it seems like the Masters of Education from U of People is the cheapest, fastest, easiest one I could do that fits with my interests/skills, at under $4K in 12 months.  What do you think? I can't beat that price, right?

3. Get a doctorate from an RA college. 
So, ultimately, I want a doctorate from a regionally accredited school. As I mentioned I am looking at rolling a NA masters into a RA doctorate program at ACE, specifically Ed.D. in Public Health Education which would cost $24K over the course of 3 years. I will definitely need to be making some part-time money with the IBCLC to be able to afford paying for that. 

I have also considered Liberty U's PhD in Health Science which is for allied health professionals. They have a generous transfer policy and I keep wondering where/how would someone acquire cheap doctorate credits to transfer in to that program to bring the cost down. 

Anyways, that is my plan thus far. I am wondering if it makes sense and if I am understanding correctly ACE's admissions policy. Finally, I want to mention that I have checked out your forum from time to time over the years as I plan how I am going to get my kids through college cheaply. You all are incredibly generous with your helpfulness. It's exciting for me to be going through the process myself.
The only thing I would contribute is the the WGU MSML or MBA will almost certainly be easier, faster, and aproximately the same price (assuming completed in one term, which is very easy to do).  If you haven't already done that I would look into their program.
Getting a doctorate from an RA school without a master's from an RA school may prove challenging. You're much better off getting an RA master's degree. Are you in the US?
(10-14-2022, 01:55 PM)knaves Wrote: The only thing I would contribute is the the WGU MSML or MBA will almost certainly be easier, faster, and aproximately the same price (assuming completed in one term, which is very easy to do).  If you haven't already done that I would look into their program.

Thank you for responding! I have looked at WGU and always loved the concept. I will look into that option as well!

(10-14-2022, 03:40 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Getting a doctorate from an RA school without a master's from an RA school may prove challenging. You're much better off getting an RA master's degree. Are you in the US?

Yes, I am in the US. How did you interpret that admissions statement from ACE regarding what degrees they will accept?
Liberty University might accept the master's but I would consult with the school. They usually accept NA degrees.
Degrees In Progress:
EVMS Doctor of Health Science
Completed Degrees:
Doctor of Healthcare Administration Dec 2021 
Masters of Business Administration July 2022
Masters of Public Administration '19
Masters of Arts in Urban Affairs '17
Masters of Arts in Criminal Justice '16
Bachelors of Science in Police Studies '14
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Criminal Investigations '15
Well, other paths to a doctorate where you can teach at your college ideas..

Cheapest- Do a MBA at Hellenic American University for $3,000 (RA) then either a DBA Healthcare Adminsitration at South College (RA) IF you can do in 3 terms at $15,000 ($20,000 and change about 3.5 years)

IF you aren't 100% certain you can do DBA/EdD south College in 18 months, I would look at one of the EdD programs at ACE (https://www.ace.edu/programs?program=68) A few of them would work for you at $24,000 and 36 months. Then you would be ~5 years and $27,000 invested.

The fastest path if you can handle competency based education and can accelerate would likely be a MBA at WGU (RA) in a term at $4,240 (MHL) or $4,530 for the MBA in healthcare followed by the DBA Healthcare Admin at South College. 2 years and $19,530. By the way, as you work at a college, you will get $1,000 a 6 month term discount at South College so $5,000 a 6 month term versus the regular $6,000 (The totals above took into account).

I actually think the cheapest first choice is best, then again it's the path I am taking. Did the HAU MBA in 14 months, just started my DBA at South college. IF you really are certain you can bang out a MHL in 6 months at WGU and Ok with the extra $1500 go for it! But if you can't do in one 6 mnth terms you will be another $4,240 out of pocket and whatever extra time, in which case the HAU MBA makes more sense. Back to HAU MBA, if you aren't up to the accounting fiance stuff you may be better to do the WGU MHL

Bottom line, I think you could do a masters and a DBA Heathcare admin for under 25 grand and 3-3.5 years
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
(10-14-2022, 04:00 PM)newdegree Wrote: Liberty University might accept the master's but I would consult with the school. They usually accept NA degrees.
 Thank you for your input!

(10-14-2022, 04:02 PM)cerich67 Wrote: Well, other paths to a doctorate where you can teach at your college ideas..

Cheapest- Do a MBA at Hellenic American University for $3,000 (RA) then either a DBA Healthcare Adminsitration at South College (RA) IF you can do in 3 terms at $15,000 ($20,000 and change about 3.5 years)

IF you aren't 100% certain you can do DBA/EdD south College  in 18 months, I would look at one of the EdD programs at ACE (https://www.ace.edu/programs?program=68) A few of them would work for you at $24,000 and 36 months. Then you would be ~5 years and $27,000 invested.

The fastest path if you can handle competency based education and can accelerate would likely be a MBA at WGU in aterm at $4,240 (MHL) or $4,530 for the MBA in healthcare followed by the DBA Healthcare Admin at South College. 2 years and $19,530. By the way, as you work at a college, you will get $1,000 a 6 month term discount at South College so $5,000 a 6 month term versus the regular $6,000.

Thank you! I will look into these options, too!
For Liberty University see below on admission requirements for DBA, they got a number of doctoral programs and they do indeed accept nationally accredited degrees.

https://www.liberty.edu/online/business/...uirements/

"Mail official transcripts (a sealed, unopened copy or sent via a direct electronic transcript system) showing an earned master’s degree in business or a business-related field with at least 30 hours of graduate business credit from a regionally or nationally accredited institution. You may also file a transcript request form to allow Liberty to attempt to request your transcripts on your behalf. Additional requirements will be necessary for the DBA in accounting and information systems areas of study.* A cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above is required for entrance into the program."
Degrees In Progress:
EVMS Doctor of Health Science
Completed Degrees:
Doctor of Healthcare Administration Dec 2021 
Masters of Business Administration July 2022
Masters of Public Administration '19
Masters of Arts in Urban Affairs '17
Masters of Arts in Criminal Justice '16
Bachelors of Science in Police Studies '14
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Criminal Investigations '15
Basically, for the cheap, easy, fast master's option, I would skip NA U of People MEd Advanced Teaching for a WGU Masters option instead as it'll be RA and the cost is virtually the same if you can finish in 1 term of 6 months. Since you're looking into Education, the MBA/MSML may not be the option to take...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-14-2022, 06:41 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, for the cheap, easy, fast master's option, I would skip NA U of People MEd Advanced Teaching for a WGU Masters option instead as it'll be RA and the cost is virtually the same if you can finish in 1 term of 6 months.  Since you're looking into Education, the MBA/MSML may not be the option to take...
I agree about WGU over an NA school. The Masters of Health Leadership or MBA-Healthcare Management seem like really natural choices for OP. The MHL makes a lost more sense than the MSML.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Country Preview : Graduate/Doctorate Degrees in Malaysia bjcheung77 11 2,355 01-13-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  European Professional Doctorate Unlucky 33 3,689 10-01-2023, 04:37 AM
Last Post: Unlucky
  Little Rock Information Science Doctorate, any new Information alexvictorwhite 7 1,968 09-21-2020, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Aspen University: online Doctorate in Computer Science sciencemathematics1 22 4,719 08-26-2020, 01:54 AM
Last Post: sciencemathematics1
  Help on a Doctorate in Psychology johnjaxs 18 4,004 02-08-2019, 06:46 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Self-Paced Doctorate CS? or Cybersecurity? stretcharmy 0 887 01-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Last Post: stretcharmy