Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IT professional wants to earn bachelors
Where do I begin.. After earning an unaccredited 'associates degree' with a for-profit scam-style trade school, I was fortunate enough to enter my career in information technology. I was placed as an intern, was hired as a junior engineer, and rigorously climbed the ladder over the last 10 years.

I've recently applied for admissions with TESU. I have not received any correspondence back yet.

I need a degree program that will allow me to leverage my work experience as well as my current active certifications:

FINRA Series 7
Cisco CCNP, CCNA, CCDA
MICROSOFT MCP
VMware VCP 3,4,5,6

I would expect credit for some of these industry-standard certs, but possibly not others (e.g.: VMware) because they are vendor specific. I presume that I will work through the gory details once I make contact with TESU admissions, however I wanted to reach out to this group and see if anybody is in a similar situation that I am in.

I am interested in one of the following programs:

* BSBA in Computer Information Systems
* BSAST Degree in Information Technology
* Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity

Essentially the program that I enroll in will be determined by which program aligns best with my existing work experience & certifications. I'm hoping to take a prior learning assessment and gain some credits that way.

Can somebody steer me towards a good starting point? I'm starting to learn about CLEP and DSSP tests. My goal is to earn this degree by credit-by-examination. Does anybody have any feedback for me?

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you,

-Eric
Charter Oak generally offers more credit than TESU does for IT certs. For example, your FINRA series 7 would count for
Financial Markets, Institutions and Instruments (3 credits, upper division level)
Investment Management (3 credits, upper division level)

That being said, TESU's BSBA in CIS is probably a much easier-to-complete degree, with the added bonus of having a test for the Capstone instead of having to take a class (they are phasing this option out though). Charter Oak requires 6 hours of residency.

I think I would just send my transcripts and IT certs to all of the Big 3 to see what each one offers.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Obligatory WGU recommendation.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I don't think TESU is the best way to go with this, as they don't give any (or not many) credits for certs. And the IT and Cybersecurity degrees are not able to be tested out of, so would be very expensive.

TESU's business degree is probably not what you're looking for - they certainly won't utilize your certs, and they won't take advantage of what you already know. It's a good degree for some people, but honestly it doesn't sound like what you're looking for. It truly is just a business degree with a FEW computer courses, and while easy enough to test out of, I don't think it's what you want (it will say BSBA, not BSBA in CIS, and if you want to show that it's a BSBA in CIS, you'll have to show your transcript, which will show just how light this degree is in the CIS area).

I think I would recommend WGU on this one. The only caveat - apply, but do NOT enroll until after you get all of the credits you want to transfer in. They will not take any transfer credits after you enroll. But, before you enroll, they will take a bunch of stuff, and you can knock out all of your Gen Ed's via testing out, and probably some of the core that way as well, and more core will be knocked out by your certs. That would leave you with maybe 25% of the degree to complete via the school. You could definitely do that in a single term there, which would be the fastest & least expensive way to get your degree.

Hodges is also a competency-based program and they will take ACE-recommended credit. It's worth looking at, although it's also light on CIS - but not as light as TESU.

You can also try COSC and EC. Not sure what they have that you'd want, but they may also end up not being able to be fully tested out of, so more expensive than WGU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Hodges is also a competency-based program and they will take ACE-recommended credit. It's worth looking at, although it's also light on CIS

Great advice above, but to this particular point, Hodges actually has a competency based BS in Computer Information Technology
(as well as Cybersecurity and Forensics, or Software Development). So their Business options might be light in IT or CIS, but they have much better options for the field.

But I've never heard from anyone who has gone through any of the Hodges programs. I'd be interesting in hearing what the experience is like.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:Great advice above, but to this particular point, Hodges actually has a competency based BS in Computer Information Technology
(as well as Cybersecurity and Forensics, or Software Development). So their Business options might be light in IT or CIS, but they have much better options for the field.

But I've never heard from anyone who has gone through any of the Hodges programs. I'd be interesting in hearing what the experience is like.

I'm trying to get my husband to go through the CIT in Networking degree. Really easy for him to test out of more than half of the courses there, so he would get it done really quickly. I'll let you know how it goes (my arm-twisting, and how he does).
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you so much for the feedback.

I don't mind earning a plain manila BSBA versus a BSBA in CIS. I don't know if I'll stay in IT forever. I may try to break into finance, business consulting, or project mgmt down the road. The challenge is landing an opportunity where I can earn the same wages that I earn today. Unfortunately, that's not realistic for me so I stay put.

I took an MITx class wth EDX which earned credit with Charter Oak. I would have to read up on the residency requirements.

So that's the plan. I've already got the ball rolling with TESU. I'll inquire with WGU and Charter Oak and see where the best fit is (God bless a competitive market)... Thank you again for your help, and please keep the feedback coming if there is anything else that you wish to share.

Best,
-Eric
Charter Oak is like TESU, their residency requirements are low - a cornerstone, and a capstone (6cr total). Definitely check with them to see about your certs, and the Cybersecurity degree, as well as the BSBA.
Can you share more about your vocational credits you posted earlier. ENMU does have a program where they will accept those credits. The drawback is you'd have to take 10 courses with them. I would assume the 10 courses would be less painful than repeating the 60 credits for your vocational degree? If you scam school was ITT Tech COSC will accept those.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
Can you share the name of the for-profit school? I'm curious because a lot of people called ITT Tech unaccredited when it wasn't. WGU and COSC are taking their credits. People have the tendency to call nationally accredited schools unaccredited, so I just want to make sure your school was really unaccredited so that you don't throw away credits.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Finished My Bachelors, Received My Diploma! keepsingin 8 2,186 07-02-2018, 10:21 PM
Last Post: alleycat
  Tesu Psychology Bachelors rixbae 2 1,190 01-27-2018, 12:48 PM
Last Post: jsd
  TESU BS in Professional Studies Sparrowhawk 1 1,180 01-15-2018, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Sparrowhawk
  Transcript retention & 2nd Bachelors ajs1976a 7 1,687 01-07-2018, 01:00 PM
Last Post: DIGI-212
Heart TESU Bachelors Degree (REL, HIS, PSY, ENG) Assistance Request warriortaupou 8 2,344 01-05-2018, 12:14 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  New User Looking For Bachelors Degree Advice jbaugh007 39 9,418 12-07-2017, 03:29 PM
Last Post: originalamyj
  Finance Bachelors, help! mremb 5 1,836 11-14-2017, 07:29 PM
Last Post: mremb
  New International User Seeking Help with Plan for Bachelors Degree GlobalStudent 38 10,546 10-01-2017, 02:43 PM
Last Post: GlobalStudent
  Degree path for a bachelors Chef945 3 1,223 09-02-2017, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Chef945
  Already have AA in Liberal Arts, want a Bachelors Degree in Business Admin quick! NeedingHelp 4 1,358 07-30-2017, 08:05 PM
Last Post: cookderosa