Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If I Could Do Over....
I did over a year of college before I went in the USAF (1982-1986), but not enough to qualify for early promotions. I sent away for a correspondence course from the University of Wisconsin called Intro Forestry, or something like that while I was in. When I was out-processing my permanent duty station I had to check out from all of the offices/services on base. The Education person looked at my transcripts and finally asked me, "Why did you come in the Air Force as Enlisted." I had no answer for her at the time. When I got back to the states I went to the local "big college" and discovered the John Bear book. I have purchased many of his books over the years. The years went by and I did nothing. I was nearing 40; was about to find myself married for the ___ time, and I decided to do whatever it took to get a BA. I changed majors several times, I had long stretches of inactivity, I even rounded off my credits into an AA. When I started again I had additional requirements due to losing my original student date and I just kinda didn't do much for a while. So I got my first-ever sit down job and one of my co workers was (and still is) a lawyer. This is when I finally said I had to earn a BA/BS or else. I earned over 20 UL credits in three months time and waited to start my Capstone in Liberal Studies. I finally finished my BA in Liberal Arts and with Latin honors.

What did I learn? Hit it and hit it hard! If you had crappy parents, so what, get over it, get a study buddy, do whatever it takes to get your college degree done!!
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
dewisant Wrote:I did over a year of college before I went in the USAF (1982-1986), but not enough to qualify for early promotions. I sent away for a correspondence course from the University of Wisconsin called Intro Forestry, or something like that while I was in. When I was out-processing my permanent duty station I had to check out from all of the offices/services on base. The Education person looked at my transcripts and finally asked me, "Why did you come in the Air Force as Enlisted." I had no answer for her at the time. When I got back to the states I went to the local "big college" and discovered the John Bear book. I have purchased many of his books over the years. The years went by and I did nothing. I was nearing 40; was about to find myself married for the ___ time, and I decided to do whatever it took to get a BA. I changed majors several times, I had long stretches of inactivity, I even rounded off my credits into an AA. When I started again I had additional requirements due to losing my original student date and I just kinda didn't do much for a while. So I got my first-ever sit down job and one of my co workers was (and still is) a lawyer. This is when I finally said I had to earn a BA/BS or else. I earned over 20 UL credits in three months time and waited to start my Capstone in Liberal Studies. I finally finished my BA in Liberal Arts and with Latin honors.

What did I learn? Hit it and hit it hard! If you had crappy parents, so what, get over it, get a study buddy, do whatever it takes to get your college degree done!!

Thank you for this post. It is helpful as I have fallen a few times off track.
I keep getting back up and on track again. Guess this is my year!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Very good advice. Similarly, I'd read books by John Bear. Heck, while I was on terminal leave from the Army, I went to a base near my parents' home, and took all of the Gen. Ed. CLEPs. I earned 30 credits in one or two days. For some reason, it didn't click. I didn't know what I could do, or how I could do it.

When I discovered this web site, it all came together. Would it have been nice if I'd understood how to do what I needed to do to get a degree 30 years ago when I left the Army? Yep. Heck, it would have been nice if I'd moved with a purpose when I first encountered this forum and figured out what I had to do. Regardless, I finally got my degree last year.

I concur with your final words. If you don't have a degree, there's no one to blame but yourself. When you decide to go, try to keep up the momentum. You never know when having the degree will make a difference. Better to have and not need, than the other way around.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
I passed most of my 25 tests using/reading books to prepare. Ba in 4weeks was very helpful in choosing books and showing how this all works. I discovered InstantCert late in the game, but I now recommend it to everyone I meet who needs/wants more education.
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
If getting a bachelor's wasn't difficult, it wouldn't be worth anything. I don't see this as a thread of regret, but a thread of someone who persevered and finished something most people don't.

Congratulations to all who have made the journey. To those who haven't finished yet, just keep plugging at those credits, whether its 80 in a year, or 80 in ten.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.