Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If the bachelors degree is the new high school diploma?
As has been mentioned above some HR tasks are being automated. AI is way more advanced than most people fully understand. With more jobs being automated and AI taking over more of the screening process a BA/BS will be needed for entry-level jobs. There will be too many people chasing too few jobs at this level. Even I have had to pull the resumes from the AI so I could see every candidate or just be happy with what was delivered. As of today I do a better job at picking the right engineers than the AI but make no mistake HR is being automated.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
Even the applications my kids are filling out are black and white. They want the name of college, dates attended, degree/major, and almost all ask "did you graduate"
(02-27-2019, 03:00 PM)sanantone Wrote: I like to use the terms Ivy Plus and Public Ivies. Stanford and MIT (and a few other private schools) are included in the Ivy Plus schools, and they're more prestigious than a few of the Ivy League schools. The Public Ivies are prestigious, public universities. You will stand out if you graduate from a Public Ivy or Ivy Plus school.

Above is speaking to overall prestige. Within individual fields, prestige is often based on the program. There's a recent thread on getting a job with the Big 4 accounting firms, and the reputation of the accounting program is extremely important.

I know of the Public Ivies.  Who is the Ivy Plus?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(03-01-2019, 01:32 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(02-27-2019, 03:00 PM)sanantone Wrote: I like to use the terms Ivy Plus and Public Ivies. Stanford and MIT (and a few other private schools) are included in the Ivy Plus schools, and they're more prestigious than a few of the Ivy League schools. The Public Ivies are prestigious, public universities. You will stand out if you graduate from a Public Ivy or Ivy Plus school.

Above is speaking to overall prestige. Within individual fields, prestige is often based on the program. There's a recent thread on getting a job with the Big 4 accounting firms, and the reputation of the accounting program is extremely important.

I know of the Public Ivies.  Who is the Ivy Plus?
It's kind of subjective, but the two sanantone named are the "obvious" ones that fit that category: Stanford and MIT
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Yep. Stanford and MIT are always included. Sometimes, Duke, University of Chicago, and Northwestern are thrown in there. Some people have expanded lists that include Johns Hopkins and several other private schools.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(03-01-2019, 09:28 AM)sanantone Wrote: Yep. Stanford and MIT are always included. Sometimes, Duke, University of Chicago, and Northwestern are thrown in there. Some people have expanded lists that include Johns Hopkins and several other private schools.

Suffice it to say that you're talking about top 50ish schools - maybe less, maybe even top 25. These are schools "everyone" can recognize. But honestly, once you get down the list, can anyone tell the difference between a school that is number 856 and the one that is 1,234?

(I'm using hyperbole, colleges aren't ALL ranked that way, but US News and World Report keeps a catalog of about 1,800 of them - though they only rank the top 300. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges)
What if your state school is top 50 in general, very recognized in your state (very large state) and is top 5 for computer science?
(04-13-2019, 09:05 AM)theclepexam Wrote: What if your state school is top 50 in general, very recognized in your state (very large state) and is top 5 for computer science?

Depends on your end goal. Experience is generally much more important in the CS field, but after you have that a degree certainly helps. As has been the theme in this thread, certainly highly recognized schools are certainly going to stand out, and highly regarded local schools in local markets will sometimes help. But once you get beyond the top tier as Jennifer says, it all starts to even out.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
For the curious, the proportion of people graduating today with bachelor's degrees is similar to the percent graduating with high school diplomas in 1960. Undergraduate and graduate degrees are now three times as common. https://trends.collegeboard.org/educatio...-1940-2009
You're not going to impress anybody with your degree unless you went to either a well-known school, or a school that is popular/respected in the area the job is in. Most of the colleges people go to on online learning boards are about as anonymous as a newly-accredited DEAC school and the overwhelming majority of HR departments couldn't care less. With so many people with bogus degrees getting hired every day, I say to people not to worry so much about this stuff. Do your research on what limitations your degree may have, find the school that gives you what you need and fits you best, and go from there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cs degree for international student LAMi 1 52 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 8,782 11 hours ago
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,279 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 415 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 11 1,436 02-21-2024, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Amazing Student - High IQ bjcheung77 3 332 02-16-2024, 03:40 AM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 566 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 414 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 243 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 744 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden