Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you took Shmoop Lit in the Media...
How long did it take you to finish this class?  It seems like this is taking me "forever," because there's no warning of what texts are needed, so I keep having to wait to obtain reading material.  This is not very good for my economic efficiency.  (I'm about to have to pay for another month of membership.)  Was it always this way, or is this part of the site redesign?
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
Not helpful, but I see this is your second Shmoop class. Is needed additional material standard for Shmoop? Are they definitely required readings to pass the class, are you only needing a vague sentence or two from each book, or can you manage without?
Working towards BALS at TESU

Transfer:
 41 credits 

Currently working on: 
Language and Literacy in Education (OnlineDegree)

Completed:
Study.com: Personal Finance 102, History 108, Psychology 106, Psychology 104, Communications 120, Religion 101

Free: Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for Professionals

CLEP (free through Modern States): American Government, A+I Lit, American Lit, History of the US 1
(09-27-2017, 03:08 PM)a2jc4life Wrote: How long did it take you to finish this class?  It seems like this is taking me "forever," because there's no warning of what texts are needed, so I keep having to wait to obtain reading material.  This is not very good for my economic efficiency.  (I'm about to have to pay for another month of membership.)  Was it always this way, or is this part of the site redesign?

When I had my membership back in April, it seemed like they told you the titles of the books at the start.

You might be able to get the books from a library the same day, or within a few days. Or I would get the ebook version to avoid waiting.

(09-28-2017, 10:29 PM)Doodlebabe Wrote: Not helpful, but I see this is your second Shmoop class. Is needed additional material standard for Shmoop? Are they definitely required readings to pass the class, are you only needing a vague sentence or two from each book, or can you manage without?

I've only taken the two.  Bible as Literature didn't require any outside texts (that weren't linked to and completely free online).  I suspect it might be the exception?  I feel like the other literature classes, though, are probably a bit less "scattered" and it's, therefore, a little clearer what you're likely to need.

There were a number of books where we were supposed to read a single chapter.  I didn't read these, and just fudged it.  I wasn't going to buy a whole book for a single chapter if I didn't have to!  Understanding Comics is pretty non-negotiable; you read pretty much the whole book over the course of almost an entire unit.  (It's good, though.  I ordered it via Amazon Prime b/c that was quicker than waiting on our library, and I'm not sorry to have it.)  And Frankenstein (both book and movie) and The Tempest are pretty essential, I think.  All of these should be easily accessible at the library, though -- IF you know you need them.

I just finished the final, and I've been taking notes, so I'll post a thread with some more detail.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,472 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
Sad Does anyone know what's happening with old Shmoop credits? Sort of freaking out. literalkev 10 1,903 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Shmoop ACE Plan Changes? Tedium 80 8,131 09-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Shmoop outside the Big 3 wow 9 1,562 08-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: wow
  Shmoop Credits? asianphd 59 11,263 02-27-2020, 09:00 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Shmoop: New Look eriehiker 6 2,161 11-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Last Post: jsd
  OnlineDegree vs SDC vs Shmoop vs Other Options? rvm 36 7,731 10-13-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Which colleges still accept Shmoop? nosey561 0 764 10-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  New Shmoop Course: African-American Literature eriehiker 5 1,590 09-14-2019, 07:38 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Shmoop Extention jamshid666 10 2,164 09-12-2019, 02:07 PM
Last Post: jamshid666