Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you were going to be a training manager
Hey yall. I have a question. If you were going to take a position as a training manager (Not in 1 specific field, but leading training programs in general working with different departments to help form programs), what would you pursue to help gain that position? I was thinking adding a HR certificate to my in-progress GM degree might help? Would the Industrial Psychology degree at Patten he worth pursuing? Would a MBA help? Is there anything else online that might help work with adult learners? Basically it would be helping all the departments get training programs set up and giving training. It's something I might like...the more I get involved with safety at work, the more I realize I enjoy teaching and training, and it comes naturally..I like helping.

If this is a dumb idea, I can take the criticism ;-)

Thanks.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

That's a crazy idea! haha, just kidding... I was in your shoes before. There are three things you should work on:
1) Finishing the Degree - you can add a certificate in HR if you wish OR you can have a double concentration, AOS in both GM/HR. Strangely, you need the same amount of 18 credits for the certificate and second AOS, but courses are different! This is true for all other certificates and AOS's, find the one that's "geared for you" or cheaper/easier/faster.

2) Certification - I would start off small, such as getting a Corporate Trainer Certification from MSI, they have other certs I've taken (such as Six Sigma, they're accredited by IASSC not ASQ). MSI https://www.msicertified.com/about-us.html and MSI Certs https://www.msicertified.com/certifications.html

If you want to also venture into TESOL, you can get an online TESOL Advanced certificate or a TESOL Foundation certificate (combination of Advanced + Business). The one I recommend provides ACE credit and it's cheaper than most others I've found! http://www.americantesol.com/american-te...itute.html

3) Experience - I would take the time to learn the "corporate trainer" role while you're getting the degree/certs done, once complete, you'll have more experience and recognition under your belt. Then you should apply for the Corporate Training Manager role. You may want to do that while getting your MBA.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Something like https://extension.ucsd.edu/courses-and-p...t-learners would be what my former department looked for in applicants for the educator positions. Minimum of a course on instructional techniques for corporate environments.
I don't think Industrial Psych would be what you need. Instead, something in HR (since that's where a lot of training comes from) as well as some courses in the education area. I like what DavidHume linked to, that looks interesting and useful.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
This may be too specific, but if you're particularly interested in workplace safety training there's OSHA specific training:

http://osha.ucsd.edu/index.cfm?vAction=s...raining-sd

Scroll down to the trainer courses. I have no idea if anyone offers this sort of thing online.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thanks for the great info, guys (and gals). So it sounds like adding a HR cert or double major would be a good idea. Time to go my "walkingstick". Maybe find some education courses to add to my general electives (still have 3 I need to fill, but was leaving them for last).

I think I will do that MSI cert to start out, and then possibly try to work my way into that position (it's not even a position at this point in time, it could be a year from now or more). I will be taking on safety-type training roles before then (and already do on a small scale), so that should help. I am trying to weasel my way into as many places as I can to gain experience in safety and training in general.

Anyways, thanks for opening my eyes to some of this stuff. That UC SD looks interesting if it looks like I will need an extra boost, or a higher-level training position is something I want to pursue. Soon as I get this degree and any other TESU stuff knocked out, I think I will do that MSI. Thanks again, guys. This forum is so great.

It looks like the "double major" would be easier....in the cert, I need 3 specific courses I have never seen before. In the degree, I need "organizational theory and development" (or something like that) and 2 random HR electives (they counted project management, so maybe other management courses would work).
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

I thought a student could not get a double concentration if one of them was General Management.
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.
I read, maybe 6 months ago, that they changed that. I believe someone had even posted here that did that. I was thinking was a 2017 change. But, I could be imagining things.

(12-19-2017, 03:23 PM)SDO Wrote: I thought a student could not get a double concentration if one of them was General Management.

(12-19-2017, 03:39 PM)icampy Wrote: I read, maybe 6 months ago, that they changed that. I believe someone had even posted here that did that. I was thinking was a 2017 change. But, I could be imagining things.

It's been changed. There are at least one or two people here pursuing a double concentration in general management and another AOS.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Education courses (with an EDU prefix) are not Gen Ed's, they are Free Electives. But it certainly can't hurt to have them on your transcript.

If you do the HR concentration, you can also do the General Management concentration, but honestly, I'm not sure why you would do that. I think a more specific concentration is more useful (or even 2 concentrations). But GM is not that useful if you know what you want to do.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need to Interview an HR Manager GoBroncos95 5 238 04-11-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Project Management Training: ENEB, Google or others? JPN 9 2,418 12-08-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  College majors (again) and career training... bjcheung77 2 579 11-13-2022, 10:44 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Walmart Targets College Grads for $210K Store Manager Gigs LevelUP 3 649 05-18-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  SNHU is Awarding Credits for Free Salesforce Training sanantone 2 1,529 11-23-2019, 03:53 AM
Last Post: lillingworth
  College credit for firefighter training/academy Joeman200 6 6,493 07-07-2019, 12:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Construction Project Manager Certification humboldtjake 2 1,063 03-30-2019, 05:57 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  3 new SL courses Social Entrepreneurs & CompTIA training mvk 3 1,632 07-05-2018, 02:39 PM
Last Post: mvk
  "Smart" Degree Options for Middle-Aged Non-Manager Type :) Nodaclu 34 7,140 11-16-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Free Welding Training Program KayV 2 1,074 02-06-2017, 01:22 PM
Last Post: KayV