Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Initial Questions About BA History (T
(08-13-2019, 12:10 PM)historicalarsonist Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 11:45 AM)natshar Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 11:34 AM)historicalarsonist Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 11:18 AM)natshar Wrote: Gen ed electives are anything that counts for gen ed basically any math, science, English, social studies, communications course will count.

Free electives are anything that grants college credit. They are the easiest to plan and don't worry about them. You might just acquire these along the way.

You must take sos-110 and the capstone at TESU. If you also take historical methods that would bring you to 9 credits at TESU. If you take 16 credits at TESU (TECEPs don't count) you avoid paying a $2800 fee. If you feel like you are getting close to the 16 credits you might as while make it 16. You have to take at least 6 credits (2 courses) at the same time to get financial aid. You can take more 6 credits is the minimum.

If you find the other methods for historical methods are only a tiny bit cheaper it might be worth it just to with TESU. Because it will be less hassle and time evaluating and potentially avoid the wavier. So I'd only go with another option for historical methods if it was significantly cheaper or faster.

If you want some motivation to get started start with the free 1 credit sophia courses. You could have 2 credits by the end of the day, which is a good start. Also CSM is a fantastic way to get the math requirement done.

A lot of study.com especially the history overlaps. There was one where you only needed 2 quizzes if you did the right courses. Definitely use this to your advantage. And if by doing this you have too many history courses,they will count for GE electives.

Do you have any prior credit at all? Or are you starting from zero?

Wow, thank you for all the information. This clears up a lot.

So it sounds like the best plan is to go for the 16 credits in a single term (once I have 104 credits) for monetary reasons if I'm understanding you correctly. This would be 3 credits from the capstone, 3 from SOS-110, and 3 from historical methods. The remaining 7 would be a personal choice I assume to finish out the degree. Taking them all at once wouldn't be an issue, I am going at this full time. I think in light of what you said it definitely makes sense to go with TESU for the historical methods and then going for 16 total credits to avoid that $2800 fee.

That's great news about the history courses. I actually decided to go ahead and sign up for study.com to start the two Vietnam courses since it is fresh in my head right now. I recently watched the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary series and took a practice DSST on Vietnam History and did quite well. That was part of where my plan to take the DSST came from, but as mysonx3 pointed out there is just really no reason to do so. I will try and fit in some of those additional history courses on Study.com this month as well to maximize efficiency.

I don't believe I am starting totally from scratch, as I did receive a GED with ACE college credit recommendations in three subjects (Math, Language Arts, and Social Studies). I did a little bit of searching around, as recently as late 2018 I see people mentioning that TESU is honoring these and giving 1 credit for language arts, 3 credits for math, and 3 credits for social studies. It appears the equivalency has changed a couple of times, but regardless I am planning on starting with 7 credits.

Although I haven't created a comprehensive plan for general education yet, I have identified a couple of low-hanging fruit I can knock out for some easy credits, such as the analyzing & interpreting literature CLEP. My understanding is that this is perhaps the easiest CLEP out there, and I'm an above average language arts guy. I believe this is worth... 6 credits? The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is what courses my GED college credits will equate to, and whether or not I am risking duplicating those credits. Does that fear make sense and do you think it makes sense to enroll now and get evaluated so I could start on those things?
You don't need to take all 16 credits in the same term to avoid the wavier. You can but that will be a lot. I would only do that if you have the time to commit to it. You can say 9 credits one term and 7 the next as long as it adds to 16 you should be good. One term is the most cost effective but also most stressful. TESU has a 1 credit Jane Austen course so that to get to 16 because most courses are 3 credits.

If you like Literature the American lit and brit lit cleps are also worth 6 credits. Know a forgiven language those cleps can worth up to 9. Cleps can be easy and quick if you have knowledge on the subject. If you don't have the prior knowledge it can be overwhelming and another method like study where they "teach" you can be helpful. Also dsst is having a special where you get free retakes id sign up for the dsst soon and if you don't pass you get a free retake.

The thing about the DSST is it is one of the few (if not only) ways to meet the non-western/non-us history and still be UL as well. You don't have to take it, but not sure how else to meet this requirement.

Easy credits:
-Free sophia courses
-Free ethics courses
-TEEX (depends on the person, but there are free you can at least try them)
-Any subject you know a lot about CLEP or DSST can be easy
-CSM (also fun and a good course)

Regarding the GED. The credit recommendations have never changed. But it depends on the score you got. You can earn up to 10 credits, but if you score isn't high even you could earn less. You have to score high on all 4 sections to get the maximum 10 credits. Low scores could get you zero credits.

For GED taken after 11/1/14 to 12/31/2020

3 credits for math with a score of 175 or above
1 credit in humanities with an English score of 175 or above
3 credits science with a score of 175 or above
3 credits social studies with a score of 175 or above

If you took the tests before November 1st you get no credit.

If any of these scores pertain to you. Create an ACE transcript account. Then add the particular GEDs you got credit for to your transcript. The ACE transcript is what you send to TESU but wait until you get a lot of credit on it because you have to pay every time you send it.

Yeah, that GED info makes sense. I already went ahead and created an ACE account last night and added my GED tests to it. They were approved this morning, and I meet the criteria for the 3 math credits, 3 social studies credits, and 1 English credit. I guess the only remaining gray area pertaining to these is what exactly these credits go to. Are they equivalent to some course, such that I could accidentally take another course that is also equivalent? Or are they separate credits all together?

Other than that, I think with the information provided I have a decent understanding of how to go about general education. My plan is mostly to take classes that I am interested in, including some of the math/science/English classes that may traditionally be considered more difficult. Although I am "checking a box" with my degree, I am genuinely interested in learning about things I think are helpful/important/interesting, although I know this will inevitably add additional time.

I will plan on taking that Soviet Union DSST ASAP. Do you happen to know offhand how long the retake promotion applies? Thanks again.

You could potentially duplicate your GED credits, yes. Off the top of my head, I know that CLEP/ALEKS College Algebra will duplicate your math credit. You'll want to double-check before taking a course whether it transfers as the same thing as any course you have already taken.

Promo applies as long as your first attempt is by September 30th. Feel free to PM me if you want info on how I studied for the Soviet Union exam
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • historicalarsonist
(08-13-2019, 11:18 AM)natshar Wrote: Gen ed electives are anything that counts for gen ed basically any math, science, English, social studies, communications course will count.

Free electives are anything that grants college credit. They are the easiest to plan and don't worry about them. You might just acquire these along the way.

You must take sos-110 and the capstone at TESU. If you also take historical methods that would bring you to 9 credits at TESU. If you take 16 credits at TESU (TECEPs don't count) you avoid paying a $2800 fee. If you feel like you are getting close to the 16 credits you might as while make it 16. You have to take at least 6 credits (2 courses) at the same time to get financial aid. You can take more 6 credits is the minimum.

If you find the other methods for historical methods are only a tiny bit cheaper it might be worth it just to with TESU. Because it will be less hassle and time evaluating and potentially avoid the wavier. So I'd only go with another option for historical methods if it was significantly cheaper or faster.

If you want some motivation to get started start with the free 1 credit sophia courses. You could have 2 credits by the end of the day, which is a good start. Also CSM is a fantastic way to get the math requirement done.

A lot of study.com especially the history overlaps. There was one where you only needed 2 quizzes if you did the right courses. Definitely use this to your advantage. And if by doing this you have too many history courses,they will count for GE electives.

So it sounds like the best plan is to go for the 16 credits in a single term (once I have 104 credits) for monetary reasons if I'm understanding you correctly. This would be 3 credits from the capstone, 3 from SOS-110, and 3 from historical methods. The remaining 7 would be a personal choice I assume to finish out the degree. Taking them all at once wouldn't be an issue, I am going at this full time. I think in light of what you said it definitely makes sense to go with TESU for the historical methods and then going for 16 total credits to avoid that $2800 fee.

That's great news about the history courses. I actually decided to go ahead and sign up for study.com to start the two Vietnam courses since it is fresh in my head right now. I recently watched the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary series and took a practice DSST on Vietnam History and did quite well. That was part of where my plan to take the DSST came from, but as mysonx3 pointed out there is just really no reason to do so. I will try and fit in some of those additional history courses on Study.com this month as well to maximize efficiency.

I don't believe I am starting totally from scratch, as I did receive a GED with ACE college credit recommendations in three subjects (Math, Language Arts, and Social Studies). I did a little bit of searching around, as recently as late 2018 I see people mentioning that TESU is honoring these and giving 1 credit for language arts, 3 credits for math, and 3 credits for social studies. It appears the equivalency has changed a couple of times, but regardless I am planning on starting with 7 credits.

Although I haven't created a comprehensive plan for general education yet, I have identified a couple of low-hanging fruit I can knock out for some easy credits, such as the analyzing & interpreting literature CLEP. My understanding is that this is perhaps the easiest CLEP out there, and I'm an above average language arts guy. I believe this is worth... 6 credits? The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is what courses my GED college credits will equate to, and whether or not I am risking duplicating those credits. Does that fear make sense and do you think it makes sense to enroll now and get evaluated so I could start on those things?
You don't need to take all 16 credits in the same term to avoid the wavier. You can but that will be a lot. I would only do that if you have the time to commit to it. You can say 9 credits one term and 7 the next as long as it adds to 16 you should be good. One term is the most cost effective but also most stressful. TESU has a 1 credit Jane Austen course so that to get to 16 because most courses are 3 credits.

If you like Literature the American lit and brit lit cleps are also worth 6 credits. Know a forgiven language those cleps can worth up to 9. Cleps can be easy and quick if you have knowledge on the subject. If you don't have the prior knowledge it can be overwhelming and another method like study where they "teach" you can be helpful. Also dsst is having a special where you get free retakes id sign up for the dsst soon and if you don't pass you get a free retake.

The thing about the DSST is it is one of the few (if not only) ways to meet the non-western/non-us history and still be UL as well. You don't have to take it, but not sure how else to meet this requirement.

Easy credits:
-Free sophia courses
-Free ethics courses

Regarding the GED. The credit recommendations have never changed. But it depends on the score you got. You can earn up to 10 credits, but if you score isn't high even you could earn less. You have to score high on all 4 sections to get the maximum 10 credits. Low scores could get you zero credits.

If any of these scores pertain to you. Create an ACE transcript account. Then add the particular GEDs you got credit for to your transcript. The ACE transcript is what you send to TESU but wait until you get a lot of credit on it because you have to pay every time you send it.

Yeah, that GED info makes sense. I already went ahead and created an ACE account last night and added my GED tests to it. They were approved this morning, and I meet the criteria for the 3 math credits, 3 social studies credits, and 1 English credit. I guess the only remaining gray area pertaining to these is what exactly these credits go to. Are they equivalent to some course, such that I could accidentally take another course that is also equivalent? Or are they separate credits all together?

Other than that, I think with the information provided I have a decent understanding of how to go about general education. My plan is mostly to take classes that I am interested in, including some of the math/science/English classes that may traditionally be considered more difficult. Although I am "checking a box" with my degree, I am genuinely interested in learning about things I think are helpful/important/interesting, although I know this will inevitably add additional time.

I will plan on taking that Soviet Union DSST ASAP. Do you happen to know offhand how long the retake promotion applies? Thanks again.

I updated the post to contain how the GED courses transfer. So you did not score high enough for science? 

Math 121 is college algebra. so don't take any courses called "college algebra" or else it will duplicate. The only college algebra that would not duplicate this the college algebra dsst and I'm not sure why you would take it. Unless you wanted an easy gen ed credit if you were good at algebra.

The others are kind of hard to duplicate via alternative credit so you should be fine and not worry about duplication. Because the others transfer in as general social studies and one credit humanities, I don't know any other credits that duplicate those.

Retakes is from august 1 to September 30 2019 all the info is on their website. getcollegecredit.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • historicalarsonist
(08-13-2019, 12:17 PM)natshar Wrote:

Easy credits:
-Free sophia courses
-Free ethics courses

I updated the post to contain how the GED courses transfer. So you did not score high enough for science? 

Math 121 is college algebra. so don't take any courses called "college algebra" or else it will duplicate. The only college algebra that would not duplicate this the college algebra dsst and I'm not sure why you would take it. Unless you wanted an easy gen ed credit if you were good at algebra.

The others are kind of hard to duplicate via alternative credit so you should be fine and not worry about duplication.

Retakes is from august 1 to September 30 2019 all the info is on their website. getcollegecredit.com

Awesome, yeah, unfortunately, I only scored a 173 on the science GED. It was my last test to take and I got extremely sick and ended up not taking it until several months after the other tests - several months after I had actually studied for it. At that point, I just wanted to get it over with, so I went in a bit cold and felt like I definitely underperformed. Oddly enough, my score of 173 was still high enough to place me in the 94th percentile compared to recent high school graduates, but not quite high enough for college credit.

Okay, that makes sense regarding duplication. The first math requirement I plan to fulfill is Calculus I through Saylor, and that's just because I actually enjoy Calculus. I never took it in school but ended up using it in my profession after some self-teaching. Sounds like I won't run into any duplication errors in that regard.
So after doing a little bit more research, just wanted to share with you guys the preliminary plan I developed with classes I absolutely need to take or know I want to take right now:

- Two Vietnam Courses @ Study.com (considerable overlap between the two as mysonx3 pointed out, makes sense to take them together)
- English Comp I & II @ Study.com (for the 6 credits of English composition gen requirement)
- Communications 101 @ Study.com (for the communications gen ed requirement)
- Calculus I @ Saylor (I believe I have already fulfilled quantitative reasoning with my GED math credit so this would just be an elective? Regardless, just want to take for fun)
- Soviet Union DSST (Plan to take prior to Sept. 30 for free retake eligibility)

I decided on the above to try and maximize the number of tests I could potentially take at Study.com this month (5 total, 2 + 3 extra for $70 each). I also definitely know I want to do Calculus, so adding it through Saylor (with the intention of self-studying via other sources) and the Soviet Union DSST (for the aforementioned free retake), and this is what I have in the works for right now. Does anyone see any issues with this initial plan? After this month, plan would probably be to put Study.com on hold and work on CLEPs/other sources.

Also, quick question - is there any particular way you guys recommend going through the Study.com courses? I haven't run into any issues, but I was a bit thrown off by the way the website seems agnostic to whether you take the quiz after each lesson or simply come back to it later. Is there a general consensus about taking the quizzes now vs. after you finish the chapter (or whole course)? What about the chapter practice exams? Any tips are greatly appreciated.
The study.com courses: just go chapter-quiz-chapter-quiz (or skip the chapters if you are able to pass right away), skip the chapter practice and head to the final.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacussucceed's post:
  • historicalarsonist
(08-14-2019, 10:19 AM)lacussucceed Wrote: The study.com courses: just go chapter-quiz-chapter-quiz (or skip the chapters if you are able to pass right away), skip the chapter practice and head to the final.

Interesting - sounds like that makes sense, especially if the chapter practice is just a repeat of the lesson quizzes. How exactly does the grading work with these credits? I know that your "Study.com grade" for the class I'm taking is 70% final exam, 30% quizzes, but what about on your transcript? Simply a pass/fail? What percent is a pass?

I am curious because I occasionally score a 4/5 on the quiz and always make sure to go back and redo it, even if it was a silly mistake. Is this totally necessary or a waste of time? If it's simply pass/fail and the quizzes only count for 30% of your grade in the first place, it sounds like I may be wasting my time.
You need to check the syllabus. I think you misunderstood the grading.
For lower level it is mostly 100 max quizzes, 200 max proctored final = 300 total, you need 210. For upper level 100 max quizes 100 max assignments and 100 max proctored final, you need 210 again. Pass is 70% overall.
On the study.com transcript it says a percentage, no letter grade I think. And ACE is always only pass.

You need to retake the quizzes you have 4/5 to get 5/5 and have more room for error on your final. You can also do this after the final.
(08-14-2019, 10:14 AM)historicalarsonist Wrote: So after doing a little bit more research, just wanted to share with you guys the preliminary plan I developed with classes I absolutely need to take or know I want to take right now:

- Two Vietnam Courses @ Study.com (considerable overlap between the two as mysonx3 pointed out, makes sense to take them together)
- English Comp I & II @ Study.com (for the 6 credits of English composition gen requirement)
- Communications 101 @ Study.com (for the communications gen ed requirement)
- Calculus I @ Saylor (I believe I have already fulfilled quantitative reasoning with my GED math credit so this would just be an elective? Regardless, just want to take for fun)
- Soviet Union DSST (Plan to take prior to Sept. 30 for free retake eligibility)

I decided on the above to try and maximize the number of tests I could potentially take at Study.com this month (5 total, 2 + 3 extra for $70 each). I also definitely know I want to do Calculus, so adding it through Saylor (with the intention of self-studying via other sources) and the Soviet Union DSST (for the aforementioned free retake), and this is what I have in the works for right now. Does anyone see any issues with this initial plan? After this month, plan would probably be to put Study.com on hold and work on CLEPs/other sources.

Also, quick question - is there any particular way you guys recommend going through the Study.com courses? I haven't run into any issues, but I was a bit thrown off by the way the website seems agnostic to whether you take the quiz after each lesson or simply come back to it later. Is there a general consensus about taking the quizzes now vs. after you finish the chapter (or whole course)? What about the chapter practice exams? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Sound like a good plan. Some notes.
  • Doing 5 Study.com courses in one month is a lot. So don't get mad at yourself if you are not able to complete 5 in a month.
  • If you are good are writing or near a test center, I would recommend CLEP for English Comp instead. There is one CLEP exam that is worth 6 credits (comp I and II). There is also another clep exam that is worth only 3 (Comp I) but all multiple choice and no essay. If you know your stuff it might be worth it do the 6 credit one and just get it done way faster. If you think you need the practice with writing, though then do study.com just be aware it could take long with all of the essays you have to write. Study.com could be good though if you think you need the practice.
  • Yes the Calc would come in as a GE elective. If you like math while you are at it why not add a math associates for free. This wouldn't take any extra work or extra credits, just take math courses for some of your GE/free electives. CSM is the best course out there fun too, only $39. ALEKS is only $20 and if you can do statistics, and your choice of either pre calc or trig. College math CLEP is also supposedly easy as well and is worth 6 credits. Outside of the algebra and calculus, you'd only need to take 12 credits in other math and you can take math that is easier than calculus. Maybe even use CSM, CLEP and ALEKS as way to study for Saylor Calculus.
  • I'd recommend doing the free ethics course to get the ethics requirement done. You might be able to finish it in a day or less it all depends on the person. Also, do the free sophia courses, you finish them both in a day as well.
  • Plan study.com carefully as 90 credits the max from study.com and you can also only do 5 exams a month max as well.
(08-14-2019, 12:36 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: You need to check the syllabus. I think you misunderstood the grading.
For lower level it is mostly 100 max quizzes, 200 max proctored final = 300 total, you need 210. For upper level 100 max quizes 100 max assignments and 100 max proctored final, you need 210 again. Pass is 70% overall.
On the study.com transcript it says a percentage, no letter grade I think. And ACE is always only pass.

You need to retake the quizzes you have 4/5 to get 5/5 and have more room for error on your final. You can also do this after the final.

You are absolutely right about the 100 points from quizzes and 200 points from the final. That is the case for the lower level class I'm referring to. Technically your grade comes from 33.33% quizzes / 67.77% final, I was just rounding to 30%/70%.

Now I understand that a passing grade is 70%. I see where that is also listed in the syllabus. And thanks for the information about the transcript - that is important to me. I will make sure to max out my scores on the quizzes.
I think for your "final" transcript at EC and TESU the grade will not be shown, it will just be P/F. Only COSC shows external grades to some extend and only if it is direct, not through ACE. I'm not sure about the policies, but be sure to check if it is really important to you. (Or do you just don't want C's on your transcript, but P's are fine?)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Lightbulb TESU - Course Transfer Questions mweichert 12 954 02-15-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Troubles with Sophia Transfer (Science & History) poisonedapple 5 603 12-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: poisonedapple
  French international student questions about TESU BACS azuki 19 1,782 11-03-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  International students would like to ask some questions. Ron9 4 743 11-02-2023, 11:25 AM
  Study.com Transfer to TESU Questions Carnation 14 1,549 11-01-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  few questions about TESU sekiflying 3 414 08-20-2023, 11:13 AM
  BALS Concentration/GE Questions PLEX 3 414 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM
  Two questions regarding to 1. TESU second degree and 2. bachelor to master program lylx1981 5 1,573 05-17-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Henry_Patterson
  Testing out of History & Civics and Ethical Leadership requirements? WHOASIS1 6 756 03-31-2023, 09:36 PM
Last Post: dfrecore