Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Initial Questions About BA History (T
(08-14-2019, 12:39 PM)natshar Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 10:14 AM)historicalarsonist Wrote: So after doing a little bit more research, just wanted to share with you guys the preliminary plan I developed with classes I absolutely need to take or know I want to take right now:

- Two Vietnam Courses @ Study.com (considerable overlap between the two as mysonx3 pointed out, makes sense to take them together)
- English Comp I & II @ Study.com (for the 6 credits of English composition gen requirement)
- Communications 101 @ Study.com (for the communications gen ed requirement)
- Calculus I @ Saylor (I believe I have already fulfilled quantitative reasoning with my GED math credit so this would just be an elective? Regardless, just want to take for fun)
- Soviet Union DSST (Plan to take prior to Sept. 30 for free retake eligibility)

I decided on the above to try and maximize the number of tests I could potentially take at Study.com this month (5 total, 2 + 3 extra for $70 each). I also definitely know I want to do Calculus, so adding it through Saylor (with the intention of self-studying via other sources) and the Soviet Union DSST (for the aforementioned free retake), and this is what I have in the works for right now. Does anyone see any issues with this initial plan? After this month, plan would probably be to put Study.com on hold and work on CLEPs/other sources.

Also, quick question - is there any particular way you guys recommend going through the Study.com courses? I haven't run into any issues, but I was a bit thrown off by the way the website seems agnostic to whether you take the quiz after each lesson or simply come back to it later. Is there a general consensus about taking the quizzes now vs. after you finish the chapter (or whole course)? What about the chapter practice exams? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Sound like a good plan. Some notes.
  • Doing 5 Study.com courses in one month is a lot. So don't get mad at yourself if you are not able to complete 5 in a month.
  • If you are good are writing or near a test center, I would recommend CLEP for English Comp instead. There is one CLEP exam that is worth 6 credits (comp I and II). There is also another clep exam that is worth only 3 (Comp I) but all multiple choice and no essay. If you know your stuff it might be worth it do the 6 credit one and just get it done way faster. If you think you need the practice with writing, though then do study.com just be aware it could take long with all of the essays you have to write. Study.com could be good though if you think you need the practice.
  • Yes the Calc would come in as a GE elective. If you like math while you are at it why not add a math associates for free. This wouldn't take any extra work or extra credits, just take math courses for some of your GE/free electives. CSM is the best course out there fun too, only $39. ALEKS is only $20 and if you can do statistics, and your choice of either pre calc or trig. College math CLEP is also supposedly easy as well and is worth 6 credits. Outside of the algebra and calculus, you'd only need to take 12 credits in other math and you can take math that is easier than calculus. Maybe even use CSM, CLEP and ALEKS as way to study for Saylor Calculus.
  • I'd recommend doing the free ethics course to get the ethics requirement done. You might be able to finish it in a day or less it all depends on the person. Also, do the free sophia courses, you finish them both in a day as well.
  • Plan study.com carefully as 90 credits the max from study.com and you can also only do 5 exams a month max as well.

1. You are definitely right about 5 courses on Study.com being a lot, but it's more of a high aspiration than a hard requirement. I'll have to see how it goes, and then potentially adjust my goals in the future. I am confident that I have a reasonable probability of completion though.

2. I am super confident in my writing, but also super rusty. It's been over 7 years since I've written an essay. Although I feel it's like riding a bike, I would like some practice prior to taking a bunch of classes with writing assignments. I think it will probably make life a bit easier.

3. Pardon my ignorance, but could you explain what the benefits are of getting an associate along with a bachelor's degree? I wasn't that even aware that it was an option, but it sounds like I will basically stumble into one. In my preliminary plan for the rest of my gen ed electives, I have already planned on taking discrete math, statistics, etc.

4. Good recommendation on the ethics course, I will definitely use that for this requirement.

5. I was aware of this credit max, but wasn't too worried about it because I doubt I'll hit the 90 credit max on Study.com alone. I already have preliminary plans to take a lot of CLEP exams as well as a few SL/DSST and even a couple at TESU (to hit the 16 credit requirement for residency waiver). I will keep this in mind, however.

As always, thank you a ton for the wealth of information. It makes the process so much easier and assuring.

(08-14-2019, 01:04 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: I think for your "final" transcript at EC and TESU the grade will not be shown, it will just be P/F. Only COSC shows external grades to some extend and only if it is direct, not through ACE. I'm not sure about the policies, but be sure to check if it is really important to you. (Or do you just don't want C's on your transcript, but P's are fine?)

Yeah, I think you basically nailed it. I was always self-conscious about GPA stuff in school, and I don't think that ever went away. If it's P/F, then that's that. If not, I would definitely like to avoid low percentages showing up on my transcript as much as possible.
You may consider taking CLEP instead of SDC/Saylor for English 1&2 and Calculus. If you're comfortable with CLEP, it's the cheapest you can get.

I can confirm that, at TESU, there is no grade on my transcript (or anywhere else in their system, for that matter) for any SDC classes, or any other classes I've taken through an alternative credit provider. Only grades I can see are the classes I took from actual colleges.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • historicalarsonist
(08-14-2019, 01:13 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: You may consider taking CLEP instead of SDC/Saylor for English 1&2 and Calculus. If you're comfortable with CLEP, it's the cheapest you can get.

I can confirm that, at TESU, there is no grade on my transcript (or anywhere else in their system, for that matter) for any SDC classes, or any other classes I've taken through an alternative credit provider. Only grades I can see are the classes I took from actual colleges.

I think you could be right about going with Calculus CLEP instead of Saylor. I'm mostly using third-party resources for studying at the moment anyway because I haven't heard amazing things about their course itself, so I would just be using them for the test basically. Once the time comes, I definitely may just decide to go the CLEP route.

As for the English 1&2, here was my reasoning for going with SDC, and please correct me if it sounds wrong: I haven't written an essay in about 7 years, and although I feel strongly about my technical writing ability, I would feel more comfortable going through the courses as a refresher and getting in some practice assignments for a grade (3 assignments for each English course on SDC, as far as I can tell).

As far as the GPA thing, just to confirm my initial suspicion: does this mean the only actual grades on my transcript would come from courses I took directly from TESU (such as the capstone)?
(08-14-2019, 01:51 PM)historicalarsonist Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 01:13 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: You may consider taking CLEP instead of SDC/Saylor for English 1&2 and Calculus. If you're comfortable with CLEP, it's the cheapest you can get.

I think you could be right about going with Calculus CLEP instead of Saylor. I'm mostly using third-party resources for studying at the moment anyway because I haven't heard amazing things about their course itself, so I would just be using them for the test basically. Once the time comes, I definitely may just decide to go the CLEP route.

As for the English 1&2, here was my reasoning for going with SDC, and please correct me if it sounds wrong: I haven't written an essay in about 7 years, and although I feel strongly about my technical writing ability, I would feel more comfortable going through the courses as a refresher and getting in some practice assignments for a grade (3 assignments for each English course on SDC, as far as I can tell).

As far as the GPA thing, just to confirm my initial suspicion: does this mean the only actual grades on my transcript would come from courses I took directly from TESU (such as the capstone)?

I should've added a disclaimer that I actually took the Saylor exam for Calculus, even though I'm very comfortable with CLEPs. To be honest, I didn't feel like going through the trouble of going through the Modern States practice questions to get the voucher, and scheduling the exam, so I just paid to take it through Saylor. Either option is more than defensible.

For English 1&2, that sounds like a plenty solid reason. Keep in mind that Study.com's essay graders are weird, so the feedback might not be that helpful. Nonetheless, getting some practice essays in doesn't sound like a terrible idea at all.

I have only seen my UNOFFICIAL transcript from TESU, and it shows grades for any course I took through a regionally-accredited school (whether or not that school was TESU - I've taken several courses at other schools as well), but none for an ACE/NCCRS course. In your case, that would mean it would include anything you take at TESU, plus the Military History course and the Historical Methods course if you were to take it elsewhere. HOWEVER, my understanding is that the OFFICIAL transcripts (of which I haven't seen mine) only show grades for courses you took through TESU itself.
Completed:

Up Next:

[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • historicalarsonist
(08-14-2019, 01:05 PM)historicalarsonist Wrote: 3. Pardon my ignorance, but could you explain what the benefits are of getting an associate along with a bachelor's degree? I wasn't that even aware that it was an option, but it sounds like I will basically stumble into one. In my preliminary plan for the rest of my gen ed electives, I have already planned on taking discrete math, statistics, etc.

There isn't really much benefits to an associate along with bachelors unless the associates isn't just a general AA and is in a different subject area than the bachelors. For example, a bachelors in history and associates in math those are two different subjects so it showcases two different subject areas. You could always leave the associates off your resume if you don't need it. However, in the case of math, I feel math could be valuable because math is a skill which is something could potentially be valuable in a variety of jobs. Plus the associates would literally be free, no extra cost and courses you were already taking, why not do it? 

You can also get a General AA for free with no extra work as well: https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/aa/index
(This one is pointless for sure and leave it off a resume, but if you want to do it alongside the ASNSM you can with no extra effort or cost as well)

Other options you probably won't want to do but if it happens to line up you can add:

Associates in Business: https://www.tesu.edu/business/asba/index
(If you end up taking business courses)

Associates in Computer Science: https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/computer-science
(you could even do this one mostly for free by using the TEEX courses. and you are allowed do this alongside the math one as well since they are both ASNSM it counts as a second area of study.)

TESU policy allows for two bachelors and two associates. However, they count the same degree type (AA, BS, etc.) as a second area of study and not a second degree. If you wanted to you could get an AA and an ASNSM in math and computer sci. I'm not saying you have to but you can if you really wanted to.

The reason I have three associates degrees is that there was no extra effort to get three. I didn't set out get to three, I only wanted one. But oddly enough, my second and third associates opened the door for opportunities I wouldn't have had without them. In my opinion, if it is no extra time and effort at least for the math associate just go for it.

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/mathematics
[-] The following 2 users Like natshar's post:
  • historicalarsonist, TwinMom
(08-14-2019, 02:40 PM)natshar Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 01:05 PM)historicalarsonist Wrote: 3. Pardon my ignorance, but could you explain what the benefits are of getting an associate along with a bachelor's degree? I wasn't that even aware that it was an option, but it sounds like I will basically stumble into one. In my preliminary plan for the rest of my gen ed electives, I have already planned on taking discrete math, statistics, etc.

There isn't really much benefits to an associate along with bachelors unless the associates isn't just a general AA and is in a different subject area than the bachelors. For example, a bachelors in history and associates in math those are two different subjects so it showcases two different subject areas. You could always leave the associates off your resume if you don't need it. However, in the case of math, I feel math could be valuable because math is a skill which is something could potentially be valuable in a variety of jobs. Plus the associates would literally be free, no extra cost and courses you were already taking, why not do it? 

You can also get a General AA for free with no extra work as well: https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/aa/index
(This one is pointless for sure and leave it off a resume, but if you want to do it alongside the ASNSM you can with no extra effort or cost as well)

Other options you probably won't want to do but if it happens to line up you can add:

Associates in Business: https://www.tesu.edu/business/asba/index
(If you end up taking business courses)

Associates in Computer Science: https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/computer-science
(you could even do this one mostly for free by using the TEEX courses. and you are allowed do this alongside the math one as well since they are both ASNSM it counts as a second area of study.)

TESU policy allows for two bachelors and two associates. However, they count the same degree type (AA, BS, etc.) as a second area of study and not a second degree. If you wanted to you could get an AA and an ASNSM in math and computer sci. I'm not saying you have to but you can if you really wanted to.

The reason I have three associates degrees is that there was no extra effort to get three. I didn't set out get to three, I only wanted one. But oddly enough, my second and third associates opened the door for opportunities I wouldn't have had without them. In my opinion, if it is no extra time and effort at least for the math associate just go for it.

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/mathematics

Wow, very interesting stuff. I feel like I have a lot of research to do to follow up on all of this. I am a software engineer by trade, so I know knocking out the associate degree in comp sci would be extremely easy, but I wasn't planning on taking any courses in comp sci specifically because I'm transitioning into a field away from computers. It still would be nice to get some "official credentials" in that domain given my current knowledge.

Thanks a ton for all of this info - I will definitely look into/research this stuff more. Seems like the associate in math and also comp sci might be a great fit for me along with the BA in history.
(08-14-2019, 05:49 PM)historicalarsonist Wrote: Wow, very interesting stuff. I feel like I have a lot of research to do to follow up on all of this. I am a software engineer by trade, so I know knocking out the associate degree in comp sci would be extremely easy, but I wasn't planning on taking any courses in comp sci specifically because I'm transitioning into a field away from computers. It still would be nice to get some "official credentials" in that domain given my current knowledge.

Thanks a ton for all of this info - I will definitely look into/research this stuff more. Seems like the associate in math and also comp sci might be a great fit for me along with the BA in history.

The General AA, AS business, ASNSM comp sci and math are the most common TESU associate's degrees people go for. That is because sometimes they are already done with the regular bachelor's requirements.

All of the other TESU associate's degrees are harder to do via alternative credit and/or require an associate capstone to be taken at TESU. A BA in History with ASNSM in math and computer sci sounds doable and might not cost you very much or even any extra time or money than just doing the History BA. I'm not 100% sure but I think the free TEEX courses count for 10 credits out of the 16 for computer science.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • historicalarsonist
I'm working on another degree in History myself and need to get another 30 credits over what was done already. Is there a current document of history courses from testing and other sources? It seems the wiki links no longer work.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
(08-15-2019, 07:48 AM)vetvso Wrote: I'm working on another degree in History myself and need to get another 30 credits over what was done already. Is there a current document of history courses from testing and other sources? It seems the wiki links no longer work.

For area of study courses, I am using the mysonx3 plan. It includes many options for history classes in the history electives section, along with the sources for those classes. Here is the link:

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/My...in_History

I'm unsure if the list of history electives is a comprehensive list as I haven't yet looked for discrepancies. To do so, I would just refer to the various transfer credit guides for TESU. I have a list of links to those if you would like.
I think it includes everything from the providers it lists, except that I haven't yet updated it to add the new Coopersmith class (adding that to my to-do list today). There are a few other schools that offer classes in a format/price similar to CSU-Pueblo that aren't listed (mostly because I basically plagiarized the format from JSD's Sociology/Psychology plans, and he only mentions CSU-Pueblo and not BYU, University of Idaho, etc.)

Edit: I just added the new Coopersmith class, so it should now include all options, except the aforementioned Independent Study courses from places like BYU and UofI
Completed:

Up Next:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Lightbulb TESU - Course Transfer Questions mweichert 12 963 02-15-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Troubles with Sophia Transfer (Science & History) poisonedapple 5 603 12-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: poisonedapple
  French international student questions about TESU BACS azuki 19 1,783 11-03-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  International students would like to ask some questions. Ron9 4 744 11-02-2023, 11:25 AM
  Study.com Transfer to TESU Questions Carnation 14 1,549 11-01-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  few questions about TESU sekiflying 3 415 08-20-2023, 11:13 AM
  BALS Concentration/GE Questions PLEX 3 415 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM
  Two questions regarding to 1. TESU second degree and 2. bachelor to master program lylx1981 5 1,575 05-17-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Henry_Patterson
  Testing out of History & Civics and Ethical Leadership requirements? WHOASIS1 6 757 03-31-2023, 09:36 PM
Last Post: dfrecore