Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
French CLEP Preparation
I apologize in advance if such a post has already been made. I'm new here.

I'm trying to test out of French. A little bit about my background: I have taken French from grade 6 to 10 and covered most of the verb tenses. I am also able to read conversational French. Because it's been a while, I will need to brush up on whatever I had learnt, but shouldn't take too long.

I was planning to take the CLEP sometime within the next two weeks. I would really appreciate any kind of resources available online to prepare for the exam. Also, for about how long should I study to be able to at least score a 50+? Would love to get some advice from people who have previously taken the test and gotten a decent score.
First of all, are you even sure that there is a CLEP center open near you? A lot of them are closed.

If you do have an open CLEP testing center, ModernStates.org is the place to be. You study for the CLEP there and get a voucher that covers the cost of the exam itself.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-24-2021, 04:47 PM)rachel83az Wrote: First of all, are you even sure that there is a CLEP center open near you? A lot of them are closed.

If you do have an open CLEP testing center, ModernStates.org is the place to be. You study for the CLEP there and get a voucher that covers the cost of the exam itself.

Yup there is one open near me! I already did everything in ModernStates. Is there anything else I could do?
If you've already done everything at ModernStates, I would suggest the following apps:

Drops
DuoLingo - see if you can test out of French. If you can, do the opposite and do French to English instead of English to French.
Memrise
Mondly
LingoDeer and/or LingoDeer Plus - these ones costs money but I think they're very nice. Buying LingoDeer doesn't give you access to LingoDeer+ or vice versa. LingoDeer is similar to DuoLingo in form (but is structured better, IMO) while LingoDeer+ is vocab/grammar drills. If you're just going to get one, get plus.
Busuu - another paid app but more RL relevant than something like DuoLingo. Something akin to a speaking textbook in form/content.

I would not suggest using all these apps. Try them, see which one(s) you prefer, and use those to practice your French until your CLEP exam.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jch
(01-24-2021, 10:09 PM)butyoucancallmepj Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 04:47 PM)rachel83az Wrote: First of all, are you even sure that there is a CLEP center open near you? A lot of them are closed.

Yup there is one open near me! I already did everything in ModernStates. Is there anything else I could do?

The exam is written and listening.  So your best bets are not to spend any time doing anything oral, but plenty of listening.  Maybe News in Slow French to start, then listening to faster things, maybe podcasts, TV shows or Books on tape - all in French - would be my choice.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I took the CLEP French 30ish years ago after taking french from 7-12th grade and 2 semesters in college at the 300 level. I did very well. There were not the resources that there are today back then. You can switch your DVD language to french, which I love to do. You can listen to french radio, which I enjoy and audiobooks, Audible offers some Free books in french and I have all of those that I could find. I was fluent after studying in France one summer, but have lost a lot of it, and enjoy keeping it up.
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 142 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  CLEP and Modern States in the UK BritStudent 4 461 03-06-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: asianphd
  CLEP - BIOLOGY Recommendations? GoBroncos95 11 758 02-19-2024, 06:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 486 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Is there a limit to CLEP? GoBroncos95 8 633 01-28-2024, 12:23 PM
  Cancelled clep scores?: Please HELP! lyssiethekitty 2 405 01-11-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Military CLEP/DSST transcript issues defscarlett 4 445 01-10-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  What is Modern States? (AKA How to Take CLEP Tests for FREE) sgloer 1 1,975 12-10-2023, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Dango375
  ACE Recommendations for several CLEP Exams expiring today jch 2 934 12-01-2023, 05:30 AM
Last Post: jch
  Is the CLEP College Composition Modular easier than Sophia's English Composition I? whiverem 4 550 11-08-2023, 11:24 AM