Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Take on Study Materials for ECE Exams
I would agree about getting the recommended book for ECEs, if only because you get a letter grade for them (at least from EC). If you know the book used to build the exam, that's like gold. What I wouldn't do is pay full retail for it Wink
On the whole though, Lawrie's advice and encouragement are worthwhile and a lot of people get their start there. Once I took a couple exams, I had my personal priorities and study routine dialed in, and even though I count bain4weeks as one of my inspirations, what I do is not exactly what he recommends (I'm pretty sure Lawrie's a 'he').
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Management 77[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Sociology 74[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Marketing 78[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Psychology 80 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro Business Law 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 73[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP A & I Lit 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Financial Accounting 62[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Ethics in America 468[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST MIS 482[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Natural Science 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Org Behavior 80[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Finance 462[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Next: ALEKS Jail (College Algebra) Going dark to finish[/SIZE]
Professor_Adam Wrote:Actually you only have to read the chapter summaries, approx 50 pages, at most and you'll have the EXACT information the test is based on. It's a no-brainer. The tests are not based on Barron's guides and such and in the past I have taken tests where that method has proven to be dead wrong. Astronomy for instance.

Just wondering where you find the titles of the books the exams are based on. I have the free exam content guides which have a reading list. Do you use those or is there another place on the website to find the specific books they use? Thanks.
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkBlue"]B.S., Biology, Excelsior College
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Sunshine Wrote:Just wondering where you find the titles of the books the exams are based on. I have the free exam content guides which have a reading list. Do you use those or is there another place on the website to find the specific books they use? Thanks.

Yes it is the books listed in the exam content guides. If you want to double check you can always go to the Excelsior College bookstore online. Then click on the Exams link and then click the box for the specific exam you want. The next page will show you the "required" books (that's what you're looking for) and the "recommended" texts. I would not buy them on that site however because they are overpriced and you don't need the most current edition.

*I just wanted to add that I am active-duty military so the EC exams are free for me. So, in my case, it makes sense to shell out $20 or $30 for a used textbook or two to ensure a really good grade on those exams.
B.S. Liberal Studies Excelsior College
graduated Cum Laude
321 total SH of college credit
currently finishing B.S. in Mathematics at UTRGV en route to Masters in Mathematics
current goal: Pass 4 of the actuarial science exams and become an actuary
Retired Intelligence Officer (21 years, 6 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan)
Professor_Adam Wrote:Yes it is the books listed in the exam content guides. If you want to double check you can always go to the Excelsior College bookstore online. Then click on the Exams link and then click the box for the specific exam you want. The next page will show you the "required" books (that's what you're looking for) and the "recommended" texts. I would not buy them on that site however because they are overpriced and you don't need the most current edition.

*I just wanted to add that I am active-duty military so the EC exams are free for me. So, in my case, it makes sense to shell out $20 or $30 for a used textbook or two to ensure a really good grade on those exams.

Great, thanks. I never would have known they use those books to create the exams, and it makes them seem less intimidating. Good tip about the bookstore, too. I think it makes sense to get a good used text. The ECEs are already pricey (comparatively) so I'd rather spend a little extra $ to help ensure I pass them Smile
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkBlue"]B.S., Biology, Excelsior College
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Sunshine Wrote:Great, thanks. I never would have known they use those books to create the exams, and it makes them seem less intimidating. Good tip about the bookstore, too. I think it makes sense to get a good used text. The ECEs are already pricey (comparatively) so I'd rather spend a little extra $ to help ensure I pass them Smile

To clarify I used the books and IC for most of them. However, I relied much more on the textbooks.
B.S. Liberal Studies Excelsior College
graduated Cum Laude
321 total SH of college credit
currently finishing B.S. in Mathematics at UTRGV en route to Masters in Mathematics
current goal: Pass 4 of the actuarial science exams and become an actuary
Retired Intelligence Officer (21 years, 6 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 258 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 213 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 699 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 333 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,414 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,088 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,222 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  No study.com any more, and take crash course on coppersmith? qiaoyiren 10 2,280 04-12-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Crash Course's Study Hall quigongene 4 924 01-25-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore