Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
International Student
Hello, I was hoping someone could give me some advice on how to help my girlfriend from the Philippines begin earning college credit toward a BS degree from a school like TESU or WGU.  Little info about her, she’s done some courses at a university in her country, she has a B2 tourist visa and has family here in the States.  For now a student visa isn’t an option so I was researching sites such as StraighterLine for her to get started.  Would this be the best way?  
Thanks
Which university did she do her degree in? What subject does she want to study?

Did you check out AMA University online in the Philippines? She might be able to finish her degree from them even though she is in the states, its so cheap!

You have to give a little information about what you would like her to study!

And congrats man! My fiance is also a Filipina, they are the best, you are a very lucky guy!
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

I also see Saylor Academy is a good cheap alternative. Does anyone have any experience or info about someone from the Philippines earning credits through these programs?

Thanks again
WGU is not an option as they only accept students who are citizens or perm res. Her best bet right now is to go with the Big 3, COSC, Excelsior College and Thomas Edison. You should get her to review the Wiki and also view my Beginners Guide, links are in my signature.

I assume she's going for a BALS (BA Liberal Arts/Liberal Studies). The best is to start off with the FREE credits to get the ball rolling, do everything from the Ethics to Sophia and TEEX courses (That's 15 free credits right there buddy!). I would then do the CSM Learn course for the Math requirement. I would then look at doing more courses that are cheap - LL/UL TEEX courses mentioned here such as the Death Investigation course.

Alternative provider she should look into in addition to StraighterLine for LL and Study.com for UL, are Saylor, Sophia. If she doesn't mind NCCRS credits, then she can try Coopersmith and Davar. My recommendations are already in my spreadsheets - namely the StraighterLine/Study.com combo.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
@a9uilar I can help you, just tell me what she wants to study.

And what is your budget like?
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(01-20-2020, 01:54 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Which university did she do her degree in? What subject does she want to study?

Did you check out AMA University online in the Philippines? She might be able to finish her degree from them even though she is in the states, its so cheap!

You have to give a little information about what you would like her to study!

And congrats man! My fiance is also a Filipina, they are the best, you are a very lucky guy!
Hey, she’s currently back in the Philippines so she’s looking for a way to earn ACE credits so she can finish her degree here in the states eventually.  I was thinking she could do TESU or WGU for business.  

Congrats on finding your future wife hehe.  LDR has been tough but she’s someone i consider my best friend and partner.  Just trying to figure out how to best help her finish her degree as she’s really motivated.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I believe she wants to do business. Originally she was studying cruise line operations in her country but plans changed.

Also, I was looking into study.com but I thought I read they didn’t allow international students to take their courses for credit? I suppose I read that wrong.

(01-20-2020, 01:56 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: WGU is not an option as they only accept students who are citizens or perm res.  Her best bet right now is to go with the Big 3, COSC, Excelsior College and Thomas Edison.  You should get her to review the Wiki and also view my Beginners Guide, links are in my signature.

I assume she's going for a BALS (BA Liberal Arts/Liberal Studies).  The best is to start off with the FREE credits to get the ball rolling, do everything from the Ethics to Sophia and TEEX courses (That's 15 free credits right there buddy!).  I would then do the CSM Learn course for the Math requirement.  I would then look at doing more courses that are cheap - LL/UL TEEX courses mentioned here such as the Death Investigation course.

Alternative provider she should look into in addition to StraighterLine for LL and Study.com for UL, are Saylor, Sophia.  If she doesn't mind NCCRS credits, then she can try Coopersmith and Davar.  My recommendations are already in my spreadsheets - namely the StraighterLine/Study.com combo.
I will look into the free credits to get the ball rolling.  Thanks buddy!

(01-20-2020, 01:59 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @a9uilar I can help you, just tell me what she wants to study.

And what is your budget like?

Business and no budget as of now.  Looking at options and I see many cheap options so it’s not a problem.
Oh if she wants to do business, then I would recommend Charter Oak State College (COSC) as it is cheaper than TESU. Like @bjcheung77 said WGU isn't an option for her. There are some plans available for earning a business degree at COSC just search the forums.

Yes LDR is very though, my fiance was an OFW and recently returned to the Philippines, she is in the province in Butuan (Isdaon) to visit some of her family and the signal is so poor, its so hard hardly meeting and now even the comms are bad, but it's worth it. I also found my best friend, my angel, my everything.

Yes you can do credits at study.com even if you are an international student. She will have no problems taking courses with them. How is her internet access? For the proctored exams you will need to make sure she had reliable internet.

COSC is your best bet for a business degree price wise.

Like I said she could also look at AMA University in the Philippines, it would be the equivalent of an RA US degree and she can earn it online, so it doesn't matter if she is in the Philippines or the US while studying, my fiance being an OFW is enrolled there.

They have Business programs, and are a good school.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

Thanks Armstrong. Yes her internet should be stable enough. Good luck with your special lady!

I will look into these schools and all the advice everyone has given me here.

Thanks everyone
One more question, is it still possible to get free CLEP testing done through modernstates? I see there is a testing center in Makati which is near her.

Thanks
(01-20-2020, 05:01 PM)a9uilar Wrote: One more question, is it still possible to get free CLEP testing done through modernstates? I see there is a testing center in Makati which is near her.

Thanks

Yes and No. Yes, it's possible to get CLEP testing done through ModernStates.org. However, the testing center in Makati may have closed down and the site hasn't been updated to reflect the changes. If I recall that correctly as my buddy's wife is also from Manila and when I advised them to do testing there, they mentioned it was closed. You can always get her to verify again.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seattle and Sydney Student News... bjcheung77 1 167 02-21-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Amazing Student - High IQ bjcheung77 3 339 02-16-2024, 03:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 823 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  US student visa issuances now exceed pre-COVID levels bjcheung77 1 373 12-26-2023, 04:17 AM
Last Post: RavindraNagai
  Oopsie, student is attending the wrong institution... bjcheung77 2 403 10-15-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  NYC college student gets 1yr prison sentence in Dubai for touching security guard LevelUP 5 579 10-06-2023, 10:25 AM
  I want Modern States to be in every student’s wheelhouse bjcheung77 0 365 09-28-2023, 11:36 AM
  Supreme Court STRIKES DOWN Biden's $400 billion student loan forgiveness "plan" LevelUP 2 616 07-01-2023, 01:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  International University of Applied Sciences (IU) acquires University of Fredericton. bjcheung77 0 535 07-01-2023, 01:39 AM
  International Transcript Evaluation bradonomics 14 1,216 06-27-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: rachel83az