Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intro to Programming
(03-27-2023, 04:21 PM)jsd Wrote:
(03-27-2023, 04:53 AM)rachel83az Wrote: The OnlineDegree one has a reputation for being a bit... strange. Some of the exam questions may be things like "what did the presenter talk about in the third video?" but there are no videos during the exam and you just have to guess. At only $10, though, it might be worth a shot.

On the other hand, the final questions are word for word duplicates of the in-course quiz questions, so it's not exactly a hard course. That wasn't the case for other OD courses I took, though.

I suggest printing out all the quizzes before you submit them for grading so you can study for the final using them. They'll never tell you the right answer, so sometimes you are studying the wrong answers, but it's very helpful to review them.

With OnlineDegree the good things are:
  1. It's cheap. Free and $8 for the final
  2. The videos for most courses are done well, the best I've seen.  Better than Sophia or Study.com
The Bad:
  1. Courses are long, very long if you don't know how to work the system. It's possible to get them done in under 20hrs each.
  2. Quizzes can be challenging. Not impossible since it goes by what is in the video only.
Other things to consider:
  1. Pretty much all courses ONLY the 1st video matters. The rest are review or supplemental material which you can skip if you want.
  2. Try to average 80% on the quizzes so you can pass the final with a 50% score. 
  3. You can review the video as you do the quizzes if you have the video in another tab.
  4. Since it's hard to study for the final without watching all the videos again, try to complete a course in under a week so you don't forget the material over time. 
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(03-27-2023, 05:54 AM)rensuki Wrote: Introduction to Programming in Python thru Sophia Learning transfers in as ITS-150, 3 credits (if taken prior to 04/20/25, via ACE transcript) and would apply towards the Section A, Programming requirement of your program (planned as ITS-150)

How was the touchstone assignment?
LevelUP Wrote:The videos for most courses are done well, the best I've seen.  Better than Sophia or Study.com

I only took 3 courses there (and part of another just to get a feel for it that I didn't need the credit for and never finished), but I just might have been unlucky -- my courses had terrible videos. I know this is subjective but i didn't see anything I'd prefer over SDC or Sophia.

That being said, it's hard to complain about 3 credits for under $10. I'd take as many of their courses as I could for my degree.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(03-27-2023, 01:06 PM)gams007 Wrote:
(03-27-2023, 05:54 AM)rensuki Wrote: Introduction to Programming in Python thru Sophia Learning transfers in as ITS-150, 3 credits (if taken prior to 04/20/25, via ACE transcript) and would apply towards the Section A, Programming requirement of your program (planned as ITS-150)

What about introduction to java programming?

Email I got from advisor:

Programming in Python thru Study.com transfers in as COS-205, 3 credits (if taken prior to 07/31/25, via ACE transcript) would be rendered inapplicable due to the upper-level concentration requirement (does not apply towards the Section A requirement as an alternative to the indicated Sophia options) 

Introduction to Programming in Python thru Sophia Learning transfers in as ITS-150, 3 credits (if taken prior to 04/20/25, via ACE transcript) and would apply towards the Section A, Programming requirement of your program (planned as ITS-150)

Introduction to Java Programming thru Sophia Learning transfers in as COS-111, 3 credits (if taken prior to 08/31/25, via ACE transcript) and would apply towards the Group 2, Electives section of your program (planned as COS-111)
[-] The following 2 users Like rensuki's post:
  • origamishuttle, poisonedapple
(03-28-2023, 12:41 AM)rensuki Wrote: Introduction to Java Programming thru Sophia Learning transfers in as COS-111

That's good news - thank you!

Ironically, Sophia Intro to Java may be better suited to beginners than Study.com Intro to Programming. If you already know Java, the Study.com course is easy enough to work through the quizzes and final. Although I found the challenges and milestones in the Sophia course to be much easier and faster, the touchstone is a lot of work, so you easily give all that time back. However, that extra work is fairly well organized and targeted towards beginners, so it will likely help in the learning process. The greatest drawback to the Sophia course is if you're moving on to DS&A at Study.com, where you'll end up taking many of the quizzes from Intro to Programming anyway. As mentioned by @LevelUp, the overlap between courses at Study.com can be a real time-saver.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
Great, thanks! I've updated the wiki to reflect the Sophia courses.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • LevelUP, origamishuttle
(03-22-2023, 07:13 AM)teejayb Wrote: Class started up again Monday. I finished my project for ORGL 4343 yesterday and just got my grade back. Simple 3 page change memo for any organization you wish. Professor provided a template and it only took about an hour or so. Might take a bit more for those who do not do memos on a regular basis, but I would say an afternoon at most. Studying for the test today and will most likely take it tomorrow morning after work. If its anything like the pretest, it'll have 5 short essay questions and 30-40 multiple choice.

Took a look at Capstone 1. LOTS of writing for me for the next week or two. Teacher appears to be extremely responsive and willing to help wherever she can.

(03-27-2023, 05:00 PM)techmama Wrote:

How was the touchstone assignment?

Ridiculously easy. I scored 100/100 by creating a random password generator and following the rubric to a T. Big things are to write out your pseudo code and test your code. I did something different for testing since my code worked, which I got credit for, by using the Python debugger to show how specific steps were executed (random character selected, list appending, etc).
---
In Progress:
Purdue Global - Masters in Cybersecurity Management

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership

[-] The following 1 user Likes fromthedepths's post:
  • poisonedapple
(03-28-2023, 05:30 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Great, thanks! I've updated the wiki to reflect the Sophia courses.

This is the reply I received when asking about Intro to Java at Sophia. 

Good morning,

The Sophia course Intro to Java Programming transfers into TESU as COS-111 (complete by 8/31/2025), and will fulfill the Intro to Programming requirement. 

I guess if you already took intro to python which fulfills the programming category then intro to Java goes down to group 2 electives (as posted by the other user). 
[-] The following 1 user Likes techmama's post:
  • LevelUP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile BACS: COS-2050 Python Programming VS COS-4510 AI,which course is easier? Felisa 5 457 01-21-2024, 01:59 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Intro to Critical Reasoning - TESU course Kones 10 774 10-19-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Kones
  Sophia Intro to Networking Transfer Niketay 11 1,020 08-03-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Computer Science 105 - Intro to Operating Systems davidtpb 5 710 03-25-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  intro to IT techmama 6 729 03-23-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Sophia programming course gams007 0 454 03-15-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: gams007
  CS115: Programming in Java, COM209: Public Speaking mt_1994 7 643 03-14-2023, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Ninjadude
  cos-111 intro to programming techmama 1 370 03-11-2023, 11:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Business Communication - TESU COM-202 Intro to Business Communications BSLIONS 0 591 02-21-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: BSLIONS
  Sophia Intro to Nutrition Insert Name 15 2,062 11-14-2022, 12:09 PM
Last Post: rachel83az