Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to locate a past syllabi’s course for credit
Hi,
Off the main topic but I can really use some advice. There are 2 courses Excelsior did not accept as transfer, deeming them “below college level”. However when I checked with the university I took them at, the registrar confirmed they are baccalaureate level. They no longer have the syllabus and I can not locate them online. (From 2000) Excelsior said if I can show the learning was college level based on the syllabus, they will accept it. is there a national website that I can check that would have past syllabus or courses that were academically approved for accreditation? The reason it’s important is it covers my English pre-req and I really don’t want to take that again if possible -
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
The registrar at your old university did not have it anymore? That seems a little odd.
Do you have a course code and university name?
There are a few things to try. First, get the catalog from that year and see if the course description is enough for Excelsior to reconsider. If the catalog specifically says it meets the school's English I requirements, that might do the trick. Second, if you can remember the name of your professor, try to email them directly and see if they have the old syllabus, if they don't, see if they would be willing to write a letter stating that the course met the English I requirements at the school. Third, look for an alumni site for the school and post asking if any old students have kept their old syllabi. There may be a packrat out there who can help you (OK, it's a long shot).

Finally, you can just bite the bullet and take the CLEP, which isn't nearly as bad as taking the course over would be.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • boymom1031
(11-18-2019, 02:16 PM)davewill Wrote: There are a few things to try. First, get the catalog from that year and see if the course description is enough for Excelsior to reconsider. If the catalog specifically says it meets the school's English I requirements, that might do the trick. Second, if you can remember the name of your professor, try to email them directly and see if they have the old syllabus, if they don't, see if they would be willing to write a letter stating that the course met the English I requirements at the school. Third, look for an alumni site for the school and post asking if any old students have kept their old syllabi. There may be a packrat out there who can help you (OK, it's a long shot).

Finally, you can just bite the bullet and take the CLEP, which isn't nearly as bad as taking the course over would be.

Excellent ideas!
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacussucceed's post:
  • boymom1031
(11-18-2019, 02:07 PM)boymom1031 Wrote: Hi,
Off the main topic but I can really use some advice.  There are 2 courses Excelsior did not accept as transfer, deeming them “below college level”. However when I checked with the university I took them at, the registrar confirmed they are baccalaureate level. They no longer have the syllabus and I can not locate them online. (From 2000) Excelsior said if I can show the learning was college level based on the syllabus, they will accept it.  is there a national website that I can check that would have past syllabus or courses that were academically approved for accreditation? The reason it’s important is it covers my English pre-req and I really don’t want to take that again if possible -
Thanks!

The college will have the old catalog course descriptions on file for all courses ever taught for credit, and 2000 is super current, so this won't be a problem once you reach out to your old college's registrar and explain. Now, if it was 1975, it might be tricky, but the same advice would follow. Wink Good luck!
(11-18-2019, 02:16 PM)davewill Wrote: There are a few things to try. First, get the catalog from that year and see if the course description is enough for Excelsior to reconsider. If the catalog specifically says it meets the school's English I requirements, that might do the trick. Second, if you can remember the name of your professor, try to email them directly and see if they have the old syllabus, if they don't, see if they would be willing to write a letter stating that the course met the English I requirements at the school. Third, look for an alumni site for the school and post asking if any old students have kept their old syllabi. There may be a packrat out there who can help you (OK, it's a long shot).

Just an FYI, EC doesn't accept the CLEP exam.  You have to take the UExcel, or a course.  I've heard it's not too bad on Study.com, have heard bad things about SL.  Saylor has it now, so does Sophia.

Though I would look for more info.  Your 2000 college catalog should list somewhere that the course meets their own requirement for English Comp, something like a sheet showing that English Comp is a requirement, and XYZ course meets that requirement.  In addition to the course description.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks everyone - ended up finding out it was considered remedial, I feel silly for fighting it lol. but when I applied to Suny Erie they accepted it as meeting English requirement, (in 2009) but since I’m not at empire excelsior did not accept it. SUNY probably wouldn’t today I must have gotten lucky then. I did bite the bullet and took straigherline which is accepted, and finished the exam portions. Now I have the papers to do. It’s not horrific. I probably spent more time trying to dodge it than it will actually take. Thank you everyone for your ideas and recommendations

[-] The following 1 user Likes boymom1031's post:
  • cookderosa
(11-22-2019, 04:48 PM)boymom1031 Wrote: ... It’s not horrific. I probably spent more time trying to dodge it than it will actually take. Thank you everyone for your ideas and recommendations

That happens a lot around here. Glad you're able to move on with it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • boymom1031
(11-22-2019, 04:48 PM)boymom1031 Wrote: Thanks everyone - ended up finding out it was considered remedial, I feel silly for fighting it lol.  but when I applied to Suny Erie they accepted it as meeting English requirement, (in 2009) but since I’m not at empire excelsior did not accept it. SUNY probably wouldn’t today I must have gotten lucky then. I did bite the bullet and took straigherline which is accepted, and finished  the exam portions. Now I have the papers to do. It’s not horrific. I probably spent more time trying to dodge it than it will actually take. Thank you everyone for your ideas and recommendations

Just an FYI, it's the papers (actually the graders) that people found were difficult to deal with, rather than the course itself.  If you end up needing to do English Comp II, I'm going to recommend Study.com.  But if you have good luck with SL, then they are an option too.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • boymom1031

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Spanish Song Favorites From the Past Few Years? LevelUP 5 685 07-07-2022, 12:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Ruin a College or Alt-Credit Provider Name… Jonathan Whatley 9 2,128 05-23-2020, 04:37 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  American Opportunity Tax Credit sirjake 13 4,579 05-02-2020, 12:59 AM
Last Post: BrianFallon
  Free Nikon Photography classes -non credit cwendy111 0 651 04-10-2020, 02:15 AM
Last Post: cwendy111
  Sallie Mae Credit Cards Poor Decision armstrongsubero 34 4,007 07-08-2019, 02:05 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Free credit Temarsha 5 1,868 02-17-2019, 12:52 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable eriehiker 21 3,636 01-17-2019, 09:05 PM
Last Post: AaressLawless
  Cookderosa's new book --- Homeschooling For College Credit Daithi 37 7,914 06-17-2018, 07:26 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  3 Credit Hours in 10 Minutes quigongene 13 3,387 06-12-2018, 10:45 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Unable to reset instacert password? Nerdymcnerdface 1 1,589 10-31-2017, 12:18 PM
Last Post: zapproximator