Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction and Goals
Hi all,

A few years ago I had to drop out of Boston University due to my mother needing an organ transplant. Thankfully, everything turned out well last year and I am ready to continue my education. I found this forum online while trying to figure out a way to get a legitimate degree quickly (I feel as if I need to catch up after missing out on 2+ years of schooling) and I think that the service that InstantCert provides is really great. Definitely hoping to put it to good use!

That said, what I really want to do is finish my degree at BU but I want to do it via Distance Learning just in case anything unexpected occurs. I plan on completing an Associate in Science degree at Charter Oak and then hopefully transferring back into BU to complete the Bachelor of Liberal Studies degree that they offer online.

This is my current plan to fulfill the degree requirements at Charter Oak, please feel free to give me any comments or suggestions.

General Education Requirements (40+ Credits)
Written Communication - 2 semesters of Writing at BU (6 credits)
Oral Communication - DANTES Principles of Public Speaking (3 credits)
Critical Thinking - 1 semester General Chemistry with lab at BU (4 credits)
Information Literacy - Not sure, COSC and Excelsior are both expensive (1 credit)
Ethical Decision Making - DANTES Ethics in America (3 credits)
U.S. History/Government - AP U.S. History (6 credits)
Non-U.S. History or Culture - DANTES Introduction to World Religions (3 credits)
Global Understanding - DANTES Environment and Humanity (3 credits)
Literature and Fine Arts - CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (6 credits)
Social/Behavioral Sciences - AP Psychology (3 credits)
Mathematics - CLEP College Mathematics (6 credits)
Natural Science - 1 semester Evolutionary Biology with lab at BU (4 credits)

Total: 48 credits

Elective Credits
CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications (3 credits)
DANTES Here's to your Health (3 credits)
AP U.S. Government (3 credits)
Introduction to Logic taken at local community college (3 credits)
Total: 12 credits

That'd be a total of 60 credits, allowing me to complete an Associates degree and giving me the required number of credits to enroll in BU's BLS program. Once again, please feel free to give me any comments or suggestions Big Grin I know this is a bit long, but I really just felt I ought to introduce myself and have my plan written down somewhere for people to critique. Biggest issue for me is to figure out where to get the Information Literacy requirement done. Does Charter Oak or Excelsior require a proctored exam to be taken for their versions of these courses? That's really the only thing holding me back from just doing the course via Penn Foster. Any other suggestions on how to complete this requirement without having to take a proctored exam would be much appreciated!
Hello, I am currently enrolled at Charter Oak and on my status report it shows that the Freshman Composition class I took fullfilled both the written requirement and the Information Literacy requirement. I would check with them to make sure you still need to complete the Information Literacy requirement.
Good Luck,
Bob
Thanks for the heads up on the Information Literacy requirement Bob, hopefully I can have one of my writing classes count towards that.

I've actually been lurking around here for about 2 months now, decided I should make an account and introduce myself earlier this week and so I did! That said, I've gotten a bunch of my CLEPs and DSSTs out of the way in the past few weeks. I've added a signature to indicate my progress, still waiting on the grades for the 3 DANTES exams I've taken so far (did them the old fashioned paper and pencil way, it's killer on the wrist I tell ya!)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how attitudes impact our educational goals rvm 21 2,942 02-08-2019, 01:41 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Goals for 2019 natshar 17 2,880 01-09-2019, 01:40 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Resume, Cover Letter - Introduction Letter Examples bjcheung77 17 3,421 10-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Gcheads
  What are your educational goals for 2014? soliloquy 30 2,764 07-09-2014, 08:10 AM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  Introduction & CLEP/DSST Success Story heimer 1 983 02-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Last Post: MA2
  An Introduction soltran 4 1,928 04-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Last Post: CLEP101