Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ironic University Name
I was reading about Thomas Edison and I made an interesting discovery:

Thomas Edison never went to college....In fact, Thomas Edison was very much against modern public education because of the fact that he was labeled as a "slow learner" early in his life, and was left to be educated by his mother. The Thomas Edison National Park website states "Edison had strong opinions about education. Most schools, he believed, taught children to memorize facts, when they ought to have students observe nature and to make things with their hands. "I like the Montessori method," he said. "It teaches through play. It makes learning a pleasure. It follows the natural instincts of the human being . . . The present system casts the brain into a mold. It does not encourage original thought or reasoning."

I'd like to say that Thomas Edison State College is an excellent public university that has given many students the opportunity to earn a degree when it might not otherwise have been possible. Even though I'm pointing out the irony in this situation, I'd say Thomas Edison State College has done a fantastic job of holding true to Thomas Edison's ideas on education by allowing a student to learn the information required in whatever manner they see fit, and earn their credit for this education by education.
Back then, there probably weren't colleges like TESC. TESC allows people to learn information, like you said, how they see fit. People can use what they learned during their own work experiences, hobbies, and readings/video watching to pass CBEs or complete PLAs. They also have the options of completing self-paced courses and transferring them in and to earn credit for certifications. Some people just don't thrive in the classroom environment, but are capable of achieving a lot when studying on their own and at their own pace. Einstein was also believed to be "slow." I think the Big 3 are great for those with ADHD.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Potomac? anyone take classes there frank.f.franky 3 1,685 05-24-2018, 01:06 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Uexcel and University of Wisconsin PA Program sanantone 0 1,157 12-22-2017, 08:04 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Thomas Edison State University Selects New President jsd 3 2,173 12-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transfering to a state university question(what's the best way to do it!) Yung Bukket 1 935 07-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Last Post: CM1999
  Attempting to obtain TESU credits to use for Rowan University. Worth a shot? chrisjf.tech 17 2,756 05-14-2017, 01:05 AM
Last Post: chrisjf.tech
  Patten University to TESU or Excelsior? morig 3 694 11-20-2016, 07:49 PM
Last Post: jsd
  West Virginia University at Parkersburg AA program vetvso 9 1,250 10-05-2016, 10:49 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Thomas Edison State University Selected to Participate in EQUIP Program Mamasaphire 3 899 08-17-2016, 01:45 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Anyone have experience in hodges university's UPOWER Bachelor's Degree? ? Atoshi 12 1,729 07-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Last Post: TrailRunr
  Thomas Edison State University New Diplomas: ASBA & BSBA RANSOMSOUL 18 1,885 06-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Last Post: davewill