Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is ALEKS still accredited by ACE?
I would like to take College Algebra course, but in ALEKS website states that since August 2017 is not certified by ACE (see link) anymore. Does that mean that I can take the course but not get credit for it?
That's exactly what it means.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • MSK9
If you really want to take a Stats course, and not get credit for it, I suggest Khan Academy. It's free, and a good course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
I really liked the way ALEKS helped me learn. The style matched mine perfectly. Years ago, I used ALEKS just to help me study for the College Math CLEP
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
(02-13-2018, 05:22 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: I really liked the way ALEKS helped me learn.   The style matched mine perfectly.   Years ago, I used ALEKS just to help me study for the College Math CLEP

I'm not saying ALEKS is bad, but Khan Academy is similar in being able to work through a course and show what you already know, getting through that portion quickly, with the added ability to watch well-made videos if you need additional help or to learn something new.

And, it's free.  Why pay for ALEKS without trying Khan Academy first?
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • quigongene, warriortaupou
(02-12-2018, 03:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you really want to take a Stats course, and not get credit for it, I suggest Khan Academy.  It's free, and a good course.

well I think if someone wants to take a Stats course, and not get credit for it they should take a course at Harvard and then just goof off 

https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academ...-catalog?f[0]=field_course_format%3AOnline%20only&f[1]=course_subject%3AStatistics

darn it the link won't work because of the square brackets in it
I sent an email to ACE asking about ALEKS accreditation.  The ACE website shows that their courses are good until 31 July 2018 now.  The ALEKS website, on the other hand, still says they have not achieved ACE recertification.  The response I received from ACE states: 

"The ALEKS courses with ACE CREDIT recommendations ending 8/31/2017have just completed the ACE re-review process, resulting in credit extensions until 7/31/2018. We are currently processing the paperwork to publish these results to the National Guide. If you notice some courses were not extended, that would be due to the course still being under review. If the course you completed has an extension date of 7/31/2018, we will honor the current recommendations."

I hope this clears things up a bit.  If you are still interested in taking ALEKS courses for credit, now is the time to do so.  The email does not say whether or not a full three-year cycle will be granted, so there is no telling when or if the dates will change again. 

I, for one, plan to get signed up and take as many ACE approved classes through ALEKS as I can before the deadline, just-in-case.

Cheers
(05-17-2018, 05:43 PM)stryder144 Wrote: I sent an email to ACE asking about ALEKS accreditation.  The ACE website shows that their courses are good until 31 July 2018 now.  The ALEKS website, on the other hand, still says they have not achieved ACE recertification.  The response I received from ACE states: 

"The ALEKS courses with ACE CREDIT recommendations ending 8/31/2017have just completed the ACE re-review process, resulting in credit extensions until 7/31/2018. We are currently processing the paperwork to publish these results to the National Guide. If you notice some courses were not extended, that would be due to the course still being under review. If the course you completed has an extension date of 7/31/2018, we will honor the current recommendations."

I hope this clears things up a bit.  If you are still interested in taking ALEKS courses for credit, now is the time to do so.  The email does not say whether or not a full three-year cycle will be granted, so there is no telling when or if the dates will change again. 

I, for one, plan to get signed up and take as many ACE approved classes through ALEKS as I can before the deadline, just-in-case.

Cheers

Hmm, nice! That suggests that Beginning Algebra and Intermediate Algebra are also under review and may be returning as well since they ended 8/31/17 and hasn't been extended yet. I had meant to take Intermediate Algebra but never got the chance back in the day.

Unfortunately, Beginning Algebra is not credit-worthy at TESU, but Intermediate Algebra is. So that would give TESU students a 4th course they could potentially earn credit for via ALEKS, instead of the 3 available now. (Current being: College Algebra, Precalculus, and Principles of Statistics.)
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(05-17-2018, 06:25 PM)Merlin Wrote: Hmm, nice! That suggests that Beginning Algebra and Intermediate Algebra are also under review and may be returning as well since they ended 8/31/17 and hasn't been extended yet. I had meant to take Intermediate Algebra but never got the chance back in the day.

Unfortunately, Beginning Algebra is not credit-worthy at TESU, but Intermediate Algebra is. So that would give TESU students a 4th course they could potentially earn credit for via ALEKS, instead of the 3 available now. (Current being: College Algebra, Precalculus, and Principles of Statistics.)

For some reason, TESU used to accept Beginning Algebra (I have it on my eval, a hundred years ago).  It is MAT-102 (so basically the 1st half of the CLEP College Math course).  Considering that Applied Liberal Arts Math is the easiest math course on earth (ok, so I exaggerate), I can't quite figure out why they wouldn't accept Beginning Algebra (sure, it was pretty easy, but not easier than their course).
(05-17-2018, 07:07 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-17-2018, 06:25 PM)Merlin Wrote: Hmm, nice! That suggests that Beginning Algebra and Intermediate Algebra are also under review and may be returning as well since they ended 8/31/17 and hasn't been extended yet. I had meant to take Intermediate Algebra but never got the chance back in the day.

For some reason, TESU used to accept Beginning Algebra (I have it on my eval, a hundred years ago).  It is MAT-102 (so basically the 1st half of the CLEP College Math course).  Considering that Applied Liberal Arts Math is the easiest math course on earth (ok, so I exaggerate), I can't quite figure out why they wouldn't accept Beginning Algebra (sure, it was pretty easy, but not easier than their course).

I took Beginning Algebra via ALEKS in 2011 so its still on my ACE transcript. It would be nice if they took it again, but I am not counting on it being creditworthy. I may take Intermediate Algebra if that gets renewed though.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 30 5,384 04-02-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Easiest ACE accredited courses on Saylor cfoster 5 1,404 11-15-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ALEKS GLMRGIRL717 2 638 08-15-2022, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Where to search for certain courses that accredited from ACE or DEAC? ayman003 9 1,588 04-06-2022, 11:33 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Still time for ALEKS credit? MDW2447 14 3,116 09-10-2021, 03:55 AM
Last Post: echo64
  Any recommendation for these online courses accredited by ACE? ayman003 10 1,986 08-16-2021, 05:05 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  ALEKS Badges via Acclaim Toastmaster 6 1,369 01-13-2021, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Kab
  How to get ALEKS badge added to Acclaim ashkir 0 1,039 12-09-2020, 03:59 PM
  ALEKS is expiring. gams007 9 1,975 11-13-2020, 07:49 PM
  ALEKS stats and Sophia Overap? Edriveless 4 1,240 05-26-2020, 04:10 PM
Last Post: BrianFallon