Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is BYU-IS self-paced?
I'll probably be taking one or two BYU-IS writing courses, however, I can't have each course take 2+ months to complete. 

Are BYU-IS self-paced? How fast can you complete the courses and assignments (even if it means 20 hours of study per week)?
They are self-paced, though I'm not sure what rules there are for how fast you can get through them. It probably depends on how easily you can set up proctoring for any exams their might be. I'm currently enrolled in two of them (Social Psych and Calculus 2), so I'll let you know if I figure out anything as far as those rules.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
I think there's a minimum amount of time they have to take, and by virtue of waiting for papers to be graded and things like that, you'll probably easily hit that minimum.

It's probably easier to take both at once so that you can switch between them while you're waiting for things, so I'm going to guess you can complete both in that 2 months you're looking at.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Taking 3 courses from BYU, and the thing that has taken the most time has been scheduling the exams and having them snail mailed. They ask you to give them 2 weeks. And trying to contact a college nearby to proctor the test has added another week to 2 weeks because they give preference to their students. Maybe you’ll have better results where you live.
(03-01-2019, 11:42 PM)pws Wrote: I'll probably be taking one or two BYU-IS writing courses, however, I can't have each course take 2+ months to complete. 

Are BYU-IS self-paced? How fast can you complete the courses and assignments (even if it means 20 hours of study per week)?

If you take them, please post your feedback. This is one of those schools that offers a lot and has a lot of advantages for the homeschool community, but doesn't get a lot of participation here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any good self-paced option for math such as Calculus II? zcao15 3 1,012 06-11-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Online Self-Paced Certified Personal Trainer course ($19.99/month) worth 3 ACE credit MNomadic 1 946 01-07-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Kab
  ACUE's Course in Effective Teaching (3 graduate ACE credits, Self-paced online) $600 nomaduser 3 750 08-27-2020, 12:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Slower-paced Upper Level Course Providers CarpeDiem8 7 1,707 09-07-2019, 07:45 AM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8
Sad Self-paced alternative for Excelsior's Quantitative Analysis? jeanmanalo 6 1,805 05-02-2018, 08:17 AM
Last Post: jeanmanalo
  Credit by Exam vs Self Paced Courses paulieb 8 2,436 04-03-2018, 01:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore