Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Penn Foster High School Diploma Accredited?
Old Guy Wrote:Isn't a high school diploma (or GED) a very common or even an absolute requirement to enter or graduate from a college? I don't recall seeing a college without a high school requirement but it could just be me.

This is not a requirement for COSC.

Quote:

"The requirements for admission as a degree candidate are that the applicant:
•be sixteen years of age or older;
•has earned at least nine college-level credits from a regionally accredited college or university, in the armed services, by evaluation of non-collegiate sponsored instruction, or by completing standardized college-level proficiency examinations with a score that is acceptable for credit toward a Charter Oak State College degree.

Applicants with international credits must fulfill Charter Oak State College's written communication general education requirement before they can be admitted.

NOTE: Students must have proof of a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent (e.g., G.E.D.) to be eligible to receive Title IV student financial aid."

Requirements for Admission - Charter Oak State College Catalog
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
Old Guy Wrote:Isn't a high school diploma (or GED) a very common or even an absolute requirement to enter or graduate from a college?

The only state colleges I've heard of that don't allow you to graduate college unless you have a high school diploma is New York. I know of a college student who applied to graduate college in New York with her bachelors but was told she didn't qualify because she didn't have a high school diploma. Dean's list in college and she still had to go take the GED in order to graduate college.
The only other example I've heard of is my Pastor who wasn't allowed to graduate from seminary unless he passed the GED. He was a rebellious, in trouble with the law youth until God got a hold of him.

About accreditation... something most people don't realize is NOT all public or private schools in USA are accredited.
An accredited diploma is not a requirement... usually just a diploma or equivalent (GED).

You say that she didn't graduate high school here in USA... did she graduate high school in another country? That is likely enough along with proof of English proficiency.
If she does require a high school diploma, as a homeschool parent I can say that may be the easiest option to get a high school diploma depending on the state they are residing in.
cookderosa Wrote:Yes for sure.

Happily I stand corrected!! This is pretty cool actually!
Carnation Wrote:You say that she didn't graduate high school here in USA... did she graduate high school in another country? That is likely enough along with proof of English proficiency.

This... also there are official guidelines as to High School Equivalents from other countries. For example if they went to school in the UK then GCSEs are the equivalent of a High School Diploma.

http://www.uft.org/files/attachments/eva...cripts.pdf
Achieved
BSBA - GM: TESU
BSc(Hons) Politics: University of Plymouth
GradCert in Computing: London Metropolitan University
Prince2 Certified
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt

In Progress
Certificate in Technology Leadership: Cornell University

Planned
PostGrad Dip in Public Administration: Marconi University
Certificate in Accounting: Cornell University

Leedeedee Wrote:This... also there are official guidelines as to High School Equivalents from other countries. For example if they went to school in the UK then GCSEs are the equivalent of a High School Diploma.

http://www.uft.org/files/attachments/eva...cripts.pdf

She graduated High School in Kenya.
I just googled it and came up with this: a Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education is equivalent to a US High School diploma.

http://admissions.ucsd.edu/international...ents.html; http://blog.evaluationworld.com/2009/10/...aluation/; High School Diploma Equivalents
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:I just googled it and came up with this: a Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education is equivalent to a US High School diploma.

http://admissions.ucsd.edu/international...ents.html; http://blog.evaluationworld.com/2009/10/...aluation/; High School Diploma Equivalents

Thanks so much. I appreciate it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 11 1,437 02-21-2024, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Amazing Student - High IQ bjcheung77 3 332 02-16-2024, 03:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 567 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 189 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 605 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 543 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 315 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 433 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
  Unaccredited degree assembled from courses at accredited schools elcastor21 1 366 09-26-2023, 12:07 PM
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 252 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout