Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is TESC the cheapest now? (Cost Breakdown for the Big 3)
TECEP exams are Pass/Fail so no GPA can be determined.

scorched Wrote:Doesn't taking TECEP also count towards GPA? I think I have seen everyone discuss this before but could not remember.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
I just looked it up and it does say teceps are included on the residency but lists per credit $400. Does that mean maybe the tecep fee go up?
[COLOR="Magenta"]65 B&M credits so far Smile
ACE Credits-
Sophia Conflict Resolution
Kaplan PLA course
FEMA - PDS Certificate (2011)

BA hopeful :hurray:

Eventually-
Masters degree
Valdosa DPA [/COLOR]
lawqueen04 Wrote:I just looked it up and it does say teceps are included on the residency but lists per credit $400. Does that mean maybe the tecep fee go up?

This is my question. While they list TECEPs, I'm concerned they'll charge $1428 for that exam. Has anyone called to ask how TECEPs work under this plan?

Edited to add: I just called and talked to Admissions (didn't feel like digging up my student ID to talk to someone else) and the person I talked to said the TECEP and Portfolio Assessments are priced at their standard pricing. Courses (online, guided study, epack, etc) are priced at the adjusted per-credit pricing. If that's true, then this is a MUCH cheaper means of completing a degree. I'd be curious to get a couple others to call and see if you get the same answer, though.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
I can confirm requirements for COSC. You DO have to attend two semesters. Cornerstone is a Prerequisite for Capstone (Not that its relevant, but I wouldn't recommend COSC to anyone. My experience has been awful there) Not to mentions, there is a very heavy writing requirement in Cornerstone, and in Capstone.

Stick with TESC or Excelsior, it saves an entire semester, and half the workload.
IrishJohn Wrote:Something else to consider is that Saylor and TESC are apparently working to align the former's free courses with the latter's TECEP exams: Thomas Edison State College TECEP Exams « Saylor.org – Free Online Courses Built by Professors

It looks like there is some more work they need to do for that though.

For myself, if I ever decide to finish the BSBA I started as a second bachelors, I think the $3,062 enrollment would be better. I say this because missing from the costs above are those for textbooks and other study guides needed for the TECEPS, 7 is a lot to take for exams that are reportedly much tougher than CLEP and DSST, and getting a proctor is more burdensome for me with TECEP. But those who find this helpful, good luck to you.

I'm sure the books can be found cheaply. I've never bought books for CLEP/DSST, but plenty of other people have. I have paid $20 per month for Instantcert. Aren't the REA books $20 used? There is a used copy of the recommended textbook for Strategic Management for $25. You can also rent it for around $20.

mrs.b Wrote:This is my question. While they list TECEPs, I'm concerned they'll charge $1428 for that exam. Has anyone called to ask how TECEPs work under this plan?

Edited to add: I just called and talked to Admissions (didn't feel like digging up my student ID to talk to someone else) and the person I talked to said the TECEP and Portfolio Assessments are priced at their standard pricing. Courses (online, guided study, epack, etc) are priced at the adjusted per-credit pricing. If that's true, then this is a MUCH cheaper means of completing a degree. I'd be curious to get a couple others to call and see if you get the same answer, though.

In the thread that talks about the new Per Credit Tuition plan, someone else and I mentioned that we emailed TESC. They said the TECEPs are still $36 per credit hour under the plan.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I'm sure the books can be found cheaply. I've never bought books for CLEP/DSST, but plenty of other people have. I have paid $20 per month for Instantcert. Aren't the REA books $20 used? There is a used copy of the recommended textbook for Strategic Management for $25. You can also rent it for around $20.

I always liked to have books available, and rarely spent more than $15 (shipping included). For exams such as these, editions rarely matter all that much (in fact, they're usually based on older editions because they do not update the exams too often). The texts are typically cheap and easy to get.

sanantone Wrote:In the thread that talks about the new Per Credit Tuition plan, someone else and I mentioned that we emailed TESC. They said the TECEPs are still $36 per credit hour under the plan.

Sorry, did not see those. That is great news to hear confirmed! TESC's ever-growing enrollment fee was pushing them out of the affordability game, but this certainly puts them back on the table as a contender so long as students can plan out those residency exams carefully.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
sanantone Wrote:I'm sure the books can be found cheaply. I've never bought books for CLEP/DSST, but plenty of other people have. I have paid $20 per month for Instantcert. Aren't the REA books $20 used? There is a used copy of the recommended textbook for Strategic Management for $25. You can also rent it for around $20.

Agreed. I was referring to the textbooks or other materials needed to take the TECEP in comparison to the CLEP/DSST. The former are more expensive from what I saw than those needed for the latter. I far prefer CLEP/DSST anyway.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
I am just getting back to working on my degree. I am looking for the fastest/simplest accredited degree to meet the "bachelor degree required" on job applications.

If I understand the post correctly the main advantage of taking the 24 credits required for residency (to obtain a degree) under the "Per Credit Tuition Plan" is the savings of the $3,062.00 Annual Enrollment Tuition (out of state) if your are seeking a degree from TESC. Is that correct?

Is there a degree plan at TESC that does not have the capstone requirement?

I was leaning toward COSC or TESC because of the cost savings of using the 27 FEMA credits as free electives. The last thing I was wondering about is how hard or time consuming might the TECEPs be? At first glance CLEP, DSST, and ECE seem to be more well known tests with more feed back on what it takes to pass the exams. It am thinking that it might be faster to take the more well known tests and pay a slightly higher fees. Any thoughts on this by the experienced degree seekers would be appreciated.
CLEP

[SIZE="1"]Social Sciences & History..... ..- 69
US History I Col-1877............- 75
American Government ...........- 68
US History II 1865-Pres........ .- 77
Intro to Sociology................ .- 75
Intro to Psychology.............. .- 76
Human Growth & Development.- 74
Info Sys & Computer App........- 69
Analyze & Interpret Literature..- 79[/SIZE]
keylargo_diver Wrote:If I understand the post correctly the main advantage of taking the 24 credits required for residency (to obtain a degree) under the "Per Credit Tuition Plan" is the savings of the $3,062.00 Annual Enrollment Tuition (out of state) if your are seeking a degree from TESC. Is that correct?
Yep! This is a new pricing plan, and so a new strategy, so information about it here is limited.

keylargo_diver Wrote:Is there a degree plan at TESC that does not have the capstone requirement?
At the bachelor's level, yes and no: The capstone requirement for a BSBA can be met with TECEP Strategic Management. Other TESC bachelor's all each require a capstone course.

keylargo_diver Wrote:I was leaning toward COSC or TESC because of the cost savings of using the 27 FEMA credits as free electives.
A note about the BSBA from TESC: There's no more than 6 sh of free elective space in the BSBA programs from TESC specifically. So free elective credit from FEMAs or any source exceeding 6 sh will go into "overflow" and not actually contribute to the 120 sh total required for the degree.

keylargo_diver Wrote:The last thing I was wondering about is how hard or time consuming might the TECEPs be? At first glance CLEP, DSST, and ECE seem to be more well known tests with more feed back on what it takes to pass the exams. It am thinking that it might be faster to take the more well known tests and pay a slightly higher fees. Any thoughts on this by the experienced degree seekers would be appreciated.

I've taken five TECEPs to date, and I've been very happy with the program. I've found very close correspondence between the exams and the textbooks TESC names in the pdf files describing each exam. In most cases I've studied with a past edition of the text, either borrowed from the library or purchased cheaply online.

By the way! What diving certifications do you hold? A small stack of PADI certs have ACE credit recommendations which the Big Three, and many other schools, will accept. (Note, though, that if the ACE recommendation is only "In the vocational certificate category," and not also in a degree category, it probably won't apply toward a degree.)
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I was thinking of a degree along the lines of the one that Daithi posted in this thread "BA in Liberal Studies at Thomas Edison State College (TESC)" (post 5). He lists 27 free electives from FEMA for that degree and that matches the 2012-2013 catalog. I am not sure yet if I will go the TECEP stick with the CLEPs and DSSTs but it seems like one of the fastest and easiest degree plans.

I took my Dive Certs from NAUI from beginner to Divemaster. Then I became a PADI Open Water Instructor. I knew I should receive credit for this but I just followed the link you provided and learned ACE recommends 3 UPPER division credits. That's good news!

I stopped diving some years ago when I first started studying for a degree and the degree and diving got lost in the downturn of the economy. I am going to reward myself with some more diving when I finish my degree.
CLEP

[SIZE="1"]Social Sciences & History..... ..- 69
US History I Col-1877............- 75
American Government ...........- 68
US History II 1865-Pres........ .- 77
Intro to Sociology................ .- 75
Intro to Psychology.............. .- 76
Human Growth & Development.- 74
Info Sys & Computer App........- 69
Analyze & Interpret Literature..- 79[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,650 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Cheapest TECEP sarahrahul 4 1,685 06-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Cost for an Associates Mitchmcc 3 1,356 05-31-2018, 05:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  What will be the cost to graduate? sarahrahul 2 1,189 05-17-2018, 12:50 AM
  TESU Cornerstone - cheapest way to satisfy requirement? Silly_Me 7 1,659 04-14-2018, 11:40 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,456 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Enroll/Register at TESU: what is cheapest path to get started? sheagang6 6 2,189 02-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,200 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  No cost to apply to Excelsior (EC) if... allvia 3 1,837 01-15-2018, 04:05 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,994 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM