Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is TESU the best choice for my son?
(02-27-2021, 06:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Note: TESU is a good option, but not the only option, he can check other schools...

Which other schools offer accelerated BSBA Finance? I'm not seeing any. CSU Global has BA Finance but I don't think you can transfer in as many ACE credits as TESU and it probably wouldn't be anywhere near as fast. Other schools, like UMPI and COSC have BSBA or BABA degrees but none in Finance.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(02-27-2021, 06:27 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 06:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Note: TESU is a good option, but not the only option, he can check other schools...

Which other schools offer accelerated BSBA Finance? I'm not seeing any. CSU Global has BA Finance but I don't think you can transfer in as many ACE credits as TESU and it probably wouldn't be anywhere near as fast. Other schools, like UMPI and COSC have BSBA or BABA degrees but none in Finance.

CSU Global doesn't accept 90 ACE credits. You also MUST complete 30 credits (or more) at CSU Global. The terms are 8 weeks long and you take 2 courses a term if you're full time and 2 if you're part time. 30 credits = 10 courses. That would take 5 terms full time which is about a year. It's also a LOT of papers. There's a paper due every week. CSU Global is not designed for speed that's for sure. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • MaMichelle
(02-27-2021, 06:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I'm popping in to say  "Hi", basically because the "With the $100k/year pay bump" got my attention... so, what are we having for dinner, exotic expensive truffles as dessert?   Anyways, he's practically starting out.   If he's into ACE credits such as Study.com, I would recommend completing the AOS with Study.com but start off with RA credits through classes at TEL Learning/NOU or from exams such as TECEP/UEXCELS.   He can work on other general education/free electives with Sophia.org... then finish off the degree with the cornerstone/capstone.   Note: TESU is a good option, but not the only option, he can check other schools...

Haha! I don't think anything short of that kind of money would induce this kid to voluntarily attend school. He smart and a hard worker but academic endeavors are so not his thing! He just wants someone to lay out a series in front of him: take these steps in this order as fast as you can and you'll have a degree at the end of it. I know he can do the study and test part; the FINRA exams aren't easy. It's the navigating the maze of requirements that's hard for him. 

Thanks for your advice. It's all very helpful.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaMichelle's post:
  • rachel83az
(02-27-2021, 08:04 PM).MaMichelle Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 06:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I'm popping in to say  "Hi", basically because the "With the $100k/year pay bump" got my attention... so, what are we having for dinner, exotic expensive truffles as dessert?   Anyways, he's practically starting out.   If he's into ACE credits such as Study.com, I would recommend completing the AOS with Study.com but start off with RA credits through classes at TEL Learning/NOU or from exams such as TECEP/UEXCELS.   He can work on other general education/free electives with Sophia.org... then finish off the degree with the cornerstone/capstone.   Note: TESU is a good option, but not the only option, he can check other schools...

Haha! I don't think anything short of that kind of money would induce this kid to voluntarily attend school. He smart and a hard worker but academic endeavors are so not his thing! He just wants someone to lay out a series in front of him: take these steps in this order as fast as you can and you'll have a degree at the end of it. I know he can do the study and test part; the FINRA exams aren't easy. It's the navigating the maze of requirements that's hard for him. 

I just want to say, that you are not the only mother navigating for their children on here.  I have 3 children I am navigating for on here.  My kids are busy doing college all the time day/night!  They work super hard trying to get as much done as quickly as possible, and they are multiple ages.  They are all still at home, but I feel privileged to help them.  They do all the major work themselves.  I just help drive a little. They are all getting a BSBA. Two sons with a minor in CS, and one daughter with a minor in Marketing.
[-] The following 4 users Like Dorothy44's post:
  • Fountains of Roses, Novo, rachel83az, schlocker
(02-27-2021, 08:25 PM)Dorothy44 Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 08:04 PM).MaMichelle Wrote:

I just want to say, that you are not the only mother navigating for their children on here.  I have 3 children I am navigating for on here.  My kids are busy doing college all the time day/night!  They work super hard trying to get as much done as quickly as possible, and they are multiple ages.  They are all still at home, but I feel privileged to help them.  They do all the major work themselves.  I just help drive a little.
That's pretty much the same as my approach. This kid has come so far, and I'm so proud of what he has accomplished with an insane amount of work and determination. I'm happy to help figure out the path and will be his biggest cheerleader while he's walking it. But HE is walking it.
[-] The following 4 users Like MaMichelle's post:
  • dbinghamjr, Dorothy44, Novo, rachel83az
I am not sure what degree is required from ur son. Maybe just Business Administration degree will be faster and cheaper if its ok with his employer? Just smth to think about
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cofffeee's post:
  • MaMichelle
(02-27-2021, 04:16 PM)MaMichelle Wrote: Trying to decide which online degree program is best for my son. He has outsourced research into which is the best fit for him to mom...I'm glad he trusts me but want to make sure I'm picking the right option.

Factors that I understand:
1. TESU's BSBA in Finance is the perfect degree for his career path.
2. He has several FINRA certifications that will give him 12 credits in his major.
3. His only other transfer credit is a passing score on the AP Geography exam--I'm assuming that's 3 credits that will fit into his GE as elective credit if nothing else.
4. Speed, not cost, is the most important factor to him. That said, less cost is better than more. But his employer offers some tuition reimbursement. This benefit will not be available to him for 7 more months.
5. He is 23 years old, married, no kids. He's smart, works hard, and motivated. He consistently has the best metrics in the nation in his job. Most of his peers are degreed but he is not; his boss told him that he must have a bachelor's degree to get the promotion after his next promotion so he should finish one asap because they want to fast track him into that role.
6. He likes study.com's format and wants to maximize use of SDC credits.
7. For the RA credits he prefers the exam format so once he has his 90 non-RA credits, TECEPs are a good choice.
8. He is nervous about English/Composition requirements--would like to avoid CLEP/TECEP for those.
9. Consistency is good for him. Doing as many courses as possible in the same format is better than a buffet approach utilizing lots of providers

Factors that I don't understand:
1. What counts towards the "residency" requirement? Do TECEPS count? What is needed to get a fee waiver? 
2. I don't know what I don't know! Help me understand whatever else I need to be thinking about.

I forgot to mention that my kids took a ton of CLEP.  It really wasn't as hard as you would think...especially the English Composition.   CLEP is also free from a website called Modern States.   Anywhere else had multiple writing assignments.The CLEP exam for English has no written compositions except for a simple 3 paragraph essay that seemed to be impossible to fail based on the sample essays.  By the time your son takes several courses from Study.com he will know how to write assignments very well.  All the upper level assignments for the minor require it. 

My sons are almost finished with their degree.  They have the Critical Info and Capstone left, and they hope to be done by August.  People here are a ton of help too!  Just read tons here, and it will all make sense soon.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dorothy44's post:
  • MaMichelle
I answered on your other post, since the degree plan is wrong.  If you look at that post, you may be able to do a better plan; if not, let me know and I will try to help some more.

TESU is going to be the easiest of the Big 3 in terms of knowing what comes in where, and getting the least amount of UL credits.

For FINRA & AP, you're going to need to know the dates he got the certs/took the test, because it matters.

I think finding that last (6th) Finance course is going to be a bit difficult, so I would just do a course at a college (make sure it doesn't duplicate credit he's able to get through Study.com or FINRA.  I can help with that.  But it kills 2 birds with 1 stone: it gives you more RA credit, and gets that AoS completed.  I think UL Econ courses will work here as well (because the Money & Banking DSST exam works, and comes in as ECO-332).

Options to get 6th course in FIN AoS:
Money & Banking DSST Exam
Econ 343: Money and Banking (U of Idaho IS $510)
ECN400S: Managerial Economics (CSU-Global SSA $250)
ECN410S: Comparative Economics and Global Business 1800-Present
OPS402S: Financial Performance in Operations Management
PJM410S: Assessing & Managing Risk

I would also consider doing an Accounting AoS as well; he can get 2, and Accounting and Finance go well together.  The 6th Accounting course is tricky, but I think either the Federal Income Tax TECEP or a course from a school.

Univ of Northern Alabama Accounting Career Completion Program ($545/course) - has
AC361P: Financial Reporting I
AC362P: Financial Reporting II
AC363P: Financial Reporting III
AC462P: Federal Income Taxation I
AC465P: Federal Income Taxation II
AC463P: Financial Statement Auditing I
AC467P: Financial Statement Auditing II
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • MaMichelle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 726 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,983 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 273 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,161 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 569 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch