Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is UMPI Adding an IS Concentration to the BABA Project Mgmt Degree
Do any of you know if UMPI is adding an Information Systems concentration to their YourPace CBE BABA Project Management degree?
At the link below, the last item under Academic Maps says it is a Your Pace BBA Program Requirement Guide - Project Management & Information Systems:
https://www.umpi.edu/academics/business/

But, if I go to the online.umpi.edu section of the site, it still says the degree is only a Project Management Concentration:
https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-busi...-mgmt.aspx
Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration - Project Management Concentration

I have an IT background and am aiming for a Systems Analyst position in the near future.  I am currently completing my Sophia/Instant Cert gen ed courses and not yet enrolled at UMPI, but I'm following a degree plan to aim for the BABA with Organizational Management concentration.
If UMPI is adding an Information Systems concentration to the Project Management degree, I believe it would be to my advantage to revamp my degree plan and aim for BABA, Project Management & Information Systems concentration.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Claudia P's post:
  • jazzcat
UMPI is not adding IS as a concentration this semester. No one knows if they will in the future. The IS portion of the the BABA with PM concentration is in MIS which you complete in YourPace. The on campus degree is different and calls is PM & IS. That's why the degree map calls it that.

Also there isn't a concentration called Organizational Management. There's concentrations in Project Management, Management & Leadership, and Supply Chain Management. Stick to the YourPace website and not the UMPI website. The only thing on the UMPI website that pertains to YourPace students is the GEC. Our degree programs are a bit different than on campus students.
Here is how the concentration is listed in my Student Center page: https://imgur.com/oAZV6EJ

Code:
My Program
 Institution - University Maine Presque Isle  Institution - University Maine Presque Isle
   Career - Undergraduate  Career - Undergraduate
     Program - YourPace Baccalaureate  Program - YourPace Baccalaureate
       Major - Business Administration  Major - Business Administration
         Concentration - Project Management and InfoSys  Concentration - Project Management and InfoSys

Also, in the CBE Program Guides, it is listed as (Project Management and Information Systems Concentration) in this YourPace PDF file. Contrast that with the academic map of the on-campus program, which only reads (Project Management).

It's also listed as (B.A. in Business Administration: Project Management & Information Systems) in YourPace application page.

It seems clear to me that the concentration is in fact called (Project Management and Information Systems), not just (Project Management).

This makes sense because ALL the courses in MIS Minor are already taken in the BABA PM concentration. So, even if the concentration's name does not mention IS explicitly, I believe the student has the right to ask for the MIS minor to be added to his/her transcript.
[-] The following 2 users Like Holmes's post:
  • jazzcat, Pikachu
(01-08-2022, 07:46 AM)Holmes Wrote: Here is how the concentration is listed in my Student Center page: https://imgur.com/oAZV6EJ

Code:
My Program
 Institution - University Maine Presque Isle  Institution - University Maine Presque Isle
   Career - Undergraduate  Career - Undergraduate
     Program - YourPace Baccalaureate  Program - YourPace Baccalaureate
       Major - Business Administration  Major - Business Administration
         Concentration - Project Management and InfoSys  Concentration - Project Management and InfoSys

Also, in the CBE Program Guides, it is listed as (Project Management and Information Systems Concentration) in this YourPace PDF file. Contrast that with the academic map of the on-campus program, which only reads (Project Management).

It's also listed as (B.A. in Business Administration: Project Management & Information Systems) in YourPace application page.

It seems clear to me that the concentration is in fact called (Project Management and Information Systems), not just (Project Management).

This makes sense because ALL the courses in MIS Minor are already taken in the BABA PM concentration. So, even if the concentration's name does not mention IS explicitly, I believe the student has the right to ask for the MIS minor to be added to his/her transcript.

Fantastic! It makes perfect sense that they would include the MIS concentration and it definitely helps me out tremendously. Thank you so much for that terrific info, Holmes!
  • Holmes
(01-08-2022, 10:58 AM)Claudia P Wrote: Fantastic! It makes perfect sense that they would include the MIS concentration and it definitely helps me out tremendously. Thank you so much for that terrific info, Holmes!

Just to clarify there is not an MIS concentration. There is an MIS minor. Minors and concentrations are different things at UMPI.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Holmes, jazzcat
This answered my same exact question, thanks.
(01-07-2022, 11:03 AM)Claudia P Wrote: Do any of you know if UMPI is adding an Information Systems concentration to their YourPace CBE BABA Project Management degree?
At the link below, the last item under Academic Maps says it is a Your Pace BBA Program Requirement Guide - Project Management & Information Systems:
https://www.umpi.edu/academics/business/

But, if I go to the online.umpi.edu section of the site, it still says the degree is only a Project Management Concentration:
https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-busi...-mgmt.aspx
Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration - Project Management Concentration

I have an IT background and am aiming for a Systems Analyst position in the near future.  I am currently completing my Sophia/Instant Cert gen ed courses and not yet enrolled at UMPI, but I'm following a degree plan to aim for the BABA with Organizational Management concentration.
If UMPI is adding an Information Systems concentration to the Project Management degree, I believe it would be to my advantage to revamp my degree plan and aim for BABA, Project Management & Information Systems concentration.

Hi! I tried responding to your PM but am unable to because it says you have private messaging disabled.
(05-14-2022, 12:40 AM)carebear_007 Wrote: Hi! I tried responding to your PM but am unable to because it says you have private messaging disabled.
Sorry about that, Carebear.  I believe I fixed the problem with PM.  Thank you.
  • carebear_007

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Am I on the right path for any BLS degree rme1987 11 249 9 hours ago
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 153 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 143 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 46 4,310 03-25-2024, 08:54 PM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 204 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Transfer and see what transfers, BEFORE starting the degree? ecdw94 8 361 03-24-2024, 01:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 840 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 256 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,335 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 198 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87