Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a 3.81 GPA good to apply for graduate school?
Hi, I am a transfer student here in the States, graduating next May. I transferred from a university called KyungHee in South Korea and transferred to UW-Madison last fall. Including my previous school, I have a 3.81 GPA so far, and I was wondering if this was a good enough GPA to apply for graduate schools.I know this question is very stupid because there are lots of more things that are considered when it comes to graduate school admission haha. But I would like to hear your opinions if you only think of this GPA.
Thanks in advance!P.S. I want to apply for a physics field, condensed matter physics.
It depends on the graduate school. But, in general, anything above a 3.0 is good. Being close to 4.0 is better.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Hi Rohit, yes, it sounds like you're in great shape!
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
If you have a Bachelor's degree with a 2.0 I suspect you will have no problem finding an accredited master's degree in most fields.  You won't get into most schools but finding someone who wants your money is usually never a problem.
(05-20-2021, 11:10 AM)Old Guy Wrote: If you have a Bachelor's degree with a 2.0 I suspect you will have no problem finding an accredited master's degree in most fields.  You won't get into most schools but finding someone who wants your money is usually never a problem.

Harsh, but true.
Well, a 3.81 is a very high GPA. I can't think of any schools that would reject you based on a GPA that high unless it was a school with very competitive enrollment (think Ivy league) and you were up against a field of others with even higher GPAs.
(05-20-2021, 11:10 AM)Old Guy Wrote: If you have a Bachelor's degree with a 2.0 I suspect you will have no problem finding an accredited master's degree in most fields.  You won't get into most schools but finding someone who wants your money is usually never a problem.

Every grad school I've looked at (it's been dozens) they require a minimum of a 3.0 to be accepted. I haven't seen one that will accept a 2.0 on your bachelor's degree.
(05-20-2021, 11:52 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Every grad school I've looked at (it's been dozens) they require a minimum of a 3.0 to be accepted. I haven't seen one that will accept a 2.0 on your bachelor's degree.

How about almost every for-profit?  I had a low C average.  I took an accredited religious masters and an accredited MBA.  I took a couple courses with As but didn't complete a top 100 University (#80) Master of Liberal Studies.  It was over $2000 per course and I couldn't justify it.  If you have a Bachelor's, you can find a good selection of Master's.
(05-20-2021, 01:05 PM)Old Guy Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 11:52 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Every grad school I've looked at (it's been dozens) they require a minimum of a 3.0 to be accepted. I haven't seen one that will accept a 2.0 on your bachelor's degree.

How about almost every for-profit?  I had a low C average.  I took an accredited religious masters and an accredited MBA.  I took a couple courses with As but didn't complete a top 100 University (#80) Master of Liberal Studies.  It was over $2000 per course and I couldn't justify it.  If you have a Bachelor's, you can find a good selection of Master's.

Most for-profit grad programs I've looked at have HORRIBLE reputations and are beyond overpriced. They still had a 3.0 minimum GPA requirement.
With a 3.81 GPA, you're in pretty good shape for a majority of schools, be it Public, State, Private, Non-Profit...etc. You should be looking at the requirements for entry into your favorite 5 colleges/universities you would like to attend, but also have at least a couple "backups" just in case you don't get into your top choices. Most schools, if you don't have the prerequisites will still take you-conditionally-if you have the rest of those requirements met. Once you show you are able to complete the courses they throw at you, you become unconditionally admitted and enrolled into that particular program.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 30 24,719 04-16-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 180 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 66 15,878 04-09-2024, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,288 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,035 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 1,033 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,071 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,676 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,763 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,778 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden