Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is degree / credential hoarding a psychosis?
Just sat through a 2 hour seminar on Trusts. I'm now forming them for the houses titled in a persons name with the LLC being the beneficiary.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
Today companies expect you to be something like a Jack of all Trades or MacGyver. It is not strange that people have multiple degrees, usually to be more competitive
on the market. Nobody wants to be unemployed.
videogamesrock Wrote:Just sat through a 2 hour seminar on Trusts. I'm now forming them for the houses titled in a persons name with the LLC being the beneficiary.

That's cool. I used a trust to buy some suppressors last year. I paid a law firm for it. Would have been cool to do it myself and save the cash.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

dmjacobsen Wrote:See title. This would be an interesting thesis or dissertation topic. It's something I've thought about before, because if it's a psychosis, I'm pretty sure I have it. I'm two weeks away from graduation with my second Master's, and I'm already thinking about what's going to be next on my plate. Seriously considering going back to WGU for the BS Data Management/Data Analytics as it comes with a few decent certs built in and I'm moving into an Epic EHR position here in about 3 weeks. Now that everyone has their EHR in place and plugging all their data in, the hard part is getting that data back out in a meaningful way.

Or, at least, that's what I tell myself to justify spending more money and learning more crap.

I'm dmjacobsen, and I'm a degreeaholic.

Maybe this is also a byproduct of our method of learning. Many of us hit it balls to the wall knocking out credits (whether they be CBE or straighterline) that when we are done, there's is an empty block of time. I know I feel like that. After working full time in the military, managing a family and going full blast for 1.5 years, when I was done, I was not satisfied with all the time I had on my hands. So I went for an MBA. Now I'm looking for other learning opportunities. But I think what Cookderosa alluded to might be the real issue. It is filling the time, not necessarily the degree. We enjoyed being so busy intellectually. Maybe just finding an intellectual stimulating activity will be just as fulfilling.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:Maybe this is also a byproduct of our method of learning. Many of us hit it balls to the wall knocking out credits (whether they be CBE or straighterline) that when we are done, there's is an empty block of time. I know I feel like that. After working full time in the military, managing a family and going full blast for 1.5 years, when I was done, I was not satisfied with all the time I had on my hands. So I went for an MBA. Now I'm looking for other learning opportunities. But I think what Cookderosa alluded to might be the real issue. It is filling the time, not necessarily the degree. We enjoyed being so busy intellectually. Maybe just finding an intellectual stimulating activity will be just as fulfilling.

I think you are exactly right.

I'm already feeling that way and haven't even officially graduated yet. I know I should pour my remaining brain cells into doing something for my family, but for me school was rather like a "me-thing"/hobby, so I really need to find another hobby with realistic goals and areas to feel a sense of achievement.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Life Long Learning Wrote:Is degree / credential hoarding a psychosis?

I think collecting "certifications" (not certificates) have for me become a psychosis. I also have gone overboard with community colleges degrees and non-traditional ACE credits in my drive to learn. Who said gin, a computer at night, and learning don't mix.Confusedmilelol:

I have a question for you. I don't know where you are job-wise, but let's just say you're looking for work. Would you keep all your education on your resume or only keep what you feel is relevant to the specific role to which you are applying? Or maybe all your certifications and other education are applicable to the jobs you'd be interested in.

By the way, this isn't a trick question. I really just like to hear about others' experiences. I haven't really done anything with my resume since I graduated. I did create a CV for my grad school application and for that I touched on all my training, some of which I wouldn't have mentioned if it was a resume for a desk job.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
I keep a “master resume” that I maintain to list all my training, courses, degrees, work experience, awards, contacts, instructors, dates, etc. It's huge and unusable as a real resume. My CV is way smaller at about 15 pages and is still way too big. When I apply for things (jobs and other certifications) I take my more professional looking CV and cut out any non-relevant info which is a ton.

I am working fulltime. I have no fancy name degrees. I like the Big 3 and like CC’s. I have four different job fields so I often leave out the other three career fields or add just one bullet statement. I am in my early 50's with three fixed retirements. I would go crazy saying home and watching TV. Fact, I do not watch TV (real time saver). I am now an empty-nester (huge time saver).hilarious I like training in a 4th field (my additional duty at work) and one that I could squeak out a 4th fixed retirement if I wanted too.

To answerer your question I would tailor any resume to the job/certification I am looking for.

I like to add my one AAS degree (real skill and focus) and leave out my other general CC AS degrees as they are not relevant and I have too many. I earned them as a byproduct of lifelong learning. I still like them but they are near useless in finding a job.

ladylearner Wrote:I have a question for you. I don't know where you are job-wise, but let's just say you're looking for work. Would you keep all your education on your resume or only keep what you feel is relevant to the specific role to which you are applying? Or maybe all your certifications and other education are applicable to the jobs you'd be interested in.

By the way, this isn't a trick question. I really just like to hear about others' experiences. I haven't really done anything with my resume since I graduated. I did create a CV for my grad school application and for that I touched on all my training, some of which I wouldn't have mentioned if it was a resume for a desk job.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Life Long Learning Wrote:I keep a “master resume” that I maintain to list all my training, courses, degrees, work experience, awards, contacts, instructors, dates, etc. It's huge and unusable as a real resume. My CV is way smaller at about 15 pages and is still way too big. When I apply for things (jobs and other certifications) I take my more professional looking CV and cut out any non-relevant info which is a ton.

I am working fulltime. I have no fancy name degrees. I like the Big 3 and like CC’s. I have four different job fields so I often leave out the other three career fields or add just one bullet statement. I am in my early 50's with three fixed retirements. I would go crazy saying home and watching TV. Fact, I do not watch TV (real time saver). I am now an empty-nester (huge time saver).hilarious I like training in a 4th field (my additional duty at work) and one that I could squeak out a 4th fixed retirement if I wanted too.

To answerer your question I would tailor any resume to the job/certification I am looking for.

I like to add my one AAS degree (real skill and focus) and leave out my other general CC AS degrees as they are not relevant and I have too many. I earned them as a byproduct of lifelong learning. I still like them but they are near useless in finding a job.

Very cool...thank you for sharing. I love MOOCs and if I hadn't started grad school a month after finishing my BA, I'd be doing that like crazy, especially now that you can take a few MOOCs as part of a specialization.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 573 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 508 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 538 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 943 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  Dr. Amy Cuddy 8 years for 1 degree ashkir 3 966 07-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Degree Forgery Alpha 8 1,613 04-28-2021, 05:16 PM
  History of Degree "Hacking" collegehacked 8 2,746 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: collegehacked
  Excelsior Graduate earns Master's degree. Oh yeah, she's 14 MNomadic 7 1,664 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  For Sale: Southeastern US Bachelor Degree Granting College bjcheung77 6 1,994 06-04-2020, 10:03 AM
Last Post: lillingworth
  How has your degree improved your life? kevinmane 21 6,457 03-12-2020, 04:27 AM
Last Post: Zo_ey