Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview ideas....
No personally identifiable information should be shared of course, but Burbuja would it be possible to share the advice that was so helpful to rebel100's job success? I would appreciate it, and I'm sure it would also be helpful to others on this board.
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.
SDO Wrote:No personally identifiable information should be shared of course, but Burbuja would it be possible to share the advice that was so helpful to rebel100's job success? I would appreciate it, and I'm sure it would also be helpful to others on this board.
Thanks for the blast from the past, just read through the whole thread...seems like a long time ago!

Burbuja helped me to see a different way of presenting myself. I posted this earlier in the thread:

"Burbuja had some fantastic input on resume presentation, I basically went in there and dropped a tabbed and bound booklet that included the resume itself, A past 12 months "highlights and accomplishments" page, a great recommendation letter that I termed "service recovery", there was a writing sample from a policy I've been working on, and then I ended with a one page Goals and Objectives sheet.....they were floored by the presentation! I'm so glad I posted this thread and Burbuja was kind enough to share some ideas with me. Home-run!"

She reminded me that while these folks know me, they need to have demonstrated for them all the things that made me the one to beat. I will never go to an interview again with just a resume. walk in with verifiable proof that you have a command of the job. My package looks like this:

A very concise 2 page resume. Great opening statement, key words take up a 1/4 of the page, my education (I consider it my strong suit) comes first and I list all three degrees MBA - BS - AS, Job descriptions come next, but I list accomplishment more than responsibilities. I include volunteer work if it's applicable.

Next is a polished cover letter tailored to the position I'm seeking. I try to quickly demonstrate some concept of there industry and then show that I have relevant experience to that need. For example, the Joint Commission Survey is of huge importance to most hospitals. My cover letter always includes a few words about how I led the hospital to notations of excellence and best practice accolades during our survey. Think something that should be of real importance to your audience.

I also include any published work and work samples. I recently applied for a job in training...first thing I did after the initial phone interview was send the guy copies of training that I have prepared and facilitated. have that stuff with you and show it to the interview panel....almost no one arrives with work samples....be the one that does and stand out for all the right reasons. I also keep pictures of things I've created like my mobile incident command cart. Or maybe you simply created a cool form that makes things easier...have a copy of that, find a chance to explain why you built that tool and how.

Finally, I try to put together some cohesive thoughts on how I expect things to go once I get the job. This can be challenging if your not intimate with the company, but still think in terms of what you think they need. It can be generic like "I will increase performance by...." but it's even better when you can articulate specifics...be creative and sell yourself.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Thanks! That was the type of info I was looking for.
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter Tips natshar 3 1,081 08-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Weird interview questions Sparklette 10 2,428 03-23-2018, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Earned a $120 Amazon Gift Card by Completing an Interview sanantone 3 1,708 05-18-2017, 11:27 PM
Last Post: varJosh
  Job Interview Story Inteljustice2 4 1,377 08-29-2016, 03:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Criminal Justice Dissertation Ideas sanantone 37 3,949 05-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Last Post: defscarlett
  Interview Tips Prloko 0 1,022 06-25-2015, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Thoughts, Suggestions, Ideas? LaterBloomer 4 1,342 06-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Last Post: alleycat
  Exercise Ideas - Coordination mrs.b 12 1,859 10-11-2014, 11:21 PM
Last Post: mrs.b
  The Phone Interview Prloko 27 3,123 06-08-2014, 06:23 PM