Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to finish these Sophia courses in 2 months?
I just signed up for a bunch of Sophia courses. I would like to knock out as many as I can before September. This will be unbelievably helpful to reduce my workload and tuition when I start school in the fall. Also d/t financial hardship I really do need this help and am so thankful for Sophia right now! 

I chose these classes based on what my 2 year, 1 semester program will require. That way I can have all gen eds finished and just focus on the core program courses in the next 7 semesters (My school has 3 semesters per year)

I started Ancient Greek Philosophy yesterday and will be finished today.

I also need:

College Algebra 
Statistics 
Eng Comp I
Eng Comp II
Human Relations* (Going for Microeconomics)
Intro Psych
Intro Soc
Intro Ethics 
Marriage & Family* (plan to use Anthropology Dsst)
One liberal arts (plan to use foundations of statistics)
Humanities elective (plan to use Ancient Greek Philosophers)
Humanities Elective (3000/4000 level) - No idea about this one. Is A&I Lit Clep this level?

*These courses I am not sure what the equivalent would be and need to check in with my school but just guessing for now.

I plan to start English and Math together next (I hear the grading for the English is taking a while now due to the increased load from the free courses)

Do you have any other suggestions or recommendations?

After these Sophias the remaining classes I will need are just SL Micro, an Upper Level Humanities course (any idea where I can take this?), and one more Eng course and I’ll be finished!

I would say I have at least 25 hours a week available to work on these courses. If it was a matter of finishing or not I could pull 35. I am open to doing that. I’m thinking it’s possible to reduce this program from 2.5 down to 1.5 -2 years if I complete them!

Thank you so much for reading  Smile I really appreciate any feedback. Personal experience or knowledge on the time it took someone to complete a specific class listed above would be so appreciated.
Do you mean you need to finish before July 31 for your school?
If not, you'd better just start the Sophia courses when you have finished the last, as long as you are starting them before July 31.
I'd suggest starting with ENG COMP 1 and 2 along w/ one normal course. First work on the assignments, continue w/ the normal course. When the assignments are back, continue on the next.
We cannot estimate what you can do. Depends on experience, time, study style.
For the 3000/4000 level, I think those are upper level courses, maybe study com?
(06-27-2020, 07:00 AM)lacussucceed Wrote: Do you mean you need to finish before July 31 for your school?
If not, you'd better just start the Sophia courses when you have finished the last, as long as you are starting them before July 31.
I'd suggest starting with ENG COMP 1 and 2 along w/ one normal course. First work on the assignments, continue w/ the normal course. When the assignments are back, continue on the next.
We cannot estimate what you can do. Depends on experience, time, study style.
For the 3000/4000 level, I think those are upper level courses, maybe study com?
Hi. I have 60 days to complete the classes. I signed up for all of them now but I realized I should’ve saved some until right before July 31 for the initial registering.

Also not asking for anyone to estimate what I can do. I would like to know about other people’s personal experiences. I’ve always been able to keywords search any Clep or study.com course here to get at least some idea of what’s possible. Sophia courses aren’t talked about as much.

I can actually finish anytime for my school but I would prefer to know out every single class before September. My school allows us to transfer in the courses even while attending the program. So this is a matter of personal preference
I think Sophia still gives a 30 day extension upon request. When it gets closer to the 60 day mark, ask for extension on the courses you haven't finished.
time to completion: I had a lot of time each day to work on them. I microfocused when doing sophia courses meaning I'd work one course at a time for several hours a day so that usually it was "one unit per day". So they went quickly with my style of it and it helped knowing some of the information. Eng comp 1 grading lag time: from my sibling's experience, work ahead on the assignments while waiting for feedback, then revise/edit after feedback and submit, and if needed ask for extension due to lag time in grading. I haven't done the math ones with sophia.

You asked on UL humanities. Check into study.com if your school accepts that. I'm at tesu and also able to use coopersmith. What school are you going to? Maybe someone has specific ideas for specific place, if you don't mind sharing.

and A&I Clep is usually lower level.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

That's 10 courses. You have about 8 weeks. If you can finish 2 per week (2, to give you a bit of leeway), it's definitely doable. Moreso if you get the extension.
(06-27-2020, 06:47 AM)mcorye91 Wrote: I just signed up for a bunch of Sophia courses. I would like to knock out as many as I can before September. This will be unbelievably helpful to reduce my workload and tuition when I start school in the fall. Also d/t financial hardship I really do need this help and am so thankful for Sophia right now! 

I chose these classes based on what my 2 year, 1 semester program will require. That way I can have all gen eds finished and just focus on the core program courses in the next 7 semesters (My school has 3 semesters per year)

I started Ancient Greek Philosophy yesterday and will be finished today.

I also need:

College Algebra 
Statistics 
Eng Comp I
Eng Comp II
Human Relations* (Going for Microeconomics)
Intro Psych
Intro Soc
Intro Ethics 
Marriage & Family* (plan to use Anthropology Dsst)
One liberal arts (plan to use foundations of statistics)
Humanities elective (plan to use Ancient Greek Philosophers)
Humanities Elective (3000/4000 level) - No idea about this one. Is A&I Lit Clep this level?

*These courses I am not sure what the equivalent would be and need to check in with my school but just guessing for now.

I plan to start English and Math together next (I hear the grading for the English is taking a while now due to the increased load from the free courses)

Do you have any other suggestions or recommendations?

After these Sophias the remaining classes I will need are just SL Micro, an Upper Level Humanities course (any idea where I can take this?), and one more Eng course and I’ll be finished!

I would say I have at least 25 hours a week available to work on these courses. If it was a matter of finishing or not I could pull 35. I am open to doing that. I’m thinking it’s possible to reduce this program from 2.5 down to 1.5 -2 years if I complete them!

Thank you so much for reading  Smile I really appreciate any feedback. Personal experience or knowledge on the time it took someone to complete a specific class listed above would be so appreciated.

Absolutely...go for it. I've done 6 Sophia courses and working on my 7th. I've basically done all 6 in less than 2 weeks. That doesn't mean the courses are easy, some are, some aren't. But I just really buckled and spent every waking moment on Sophia. I'm also working from home, so that has helped alot. I'm not sure of your schedule and how well you can retain info...but the 2 month timeline is completely doable. Good luck!
"Step forward into your life as you did when you were a child, when you believed anything was possible." 
- Vince Gowmon

TESU BALS...in process...Dec 2020 graduation...woohoo!

Completed:
TEEX (3 credits): Death Investigation Online
Sophia (29 credits): Psych, Sociology, Ancient Greek, Visual Comm, Project Mgmt, Essentials of Conflict, Developing Effective Teams, Art History I, Art History II, Conflict Resolution, Approaches to Studying Religions
Straighterline (15 Credits): Cultural Anthropology, Intro to Criminal Justice, Business Stats, Western Civ I, American Gov't
SDC (6 credits): Oral Communication and Information Literacy
CLEP (15 credits): A&I Literature, College Composition, Principles of Marketing             
DSST (18 credits): Here's to Your Health, Substance Abuse, Intro to World Religions, Environment & Humanity, Business Ethics & Society, HR Management
WGU (36 credits)
FEMA (38 credits)
NA credits (140 qtr hrs)
[-] The following 1 user Likes indivinefavor's post:
  • rachel83az
It's really all about how much time you dedicate to working on each course.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
If you're not up against a deadline for your school, you can get a 30-day extension from Sophia, as has been pointed out upthread.

The only Sophia courses with delays beyond your control are those with graded assignments, in your case, specifically English Comp I and II.  At this point I would advise anyone taking either (but especially II, because it has more assignments) to get your first assignment in the hopper as soon as humanly possible and avoid any delays on subsequent assignments.  No matter how fast you work, it may not even be possible to complete either course within 60 days because of delays in grading.  I'm sure Sophia will grant affected students extensions, but my point is that you have to get your work turned in quickly for those courses if you want to finish them at all.
[-] The following 2 users Like ctcarl's post:
  • ss20ts, TwinMom
(06-27-2020, 01:50 PM)ctcarl Wrote: If you're not up against a deadline for your school, you can get a 30-day extension from Sophia, as has been pointed out upthread.

The only Sophia courses with delays beyond your control are those with graded assignments, in your case, specifically English Comp I and II.  At this point I would advise anyone taking either (but especially II, because it has more assignments) to get your first assignment in the hopper as soon as humanly possible and avoid any delays on subsequent assignments.  No matter how fast you work, it may not even be possible to complete either course within 60 days because of delays in grading.  I'm sure Sophia will grant affected students extensions, but my point is that you have to get your work turned in quickly for those courses if you want to finish them at all.

Meh, Comp I is certainly doable. I have 30 days left and need one final paper graded. The trick is to do everything ahead of time and submit each paper after one is graded. Sure the turn around is 5-10 days but if you're proactive it is possible. Same goes for the Speech class.
[-] The following 2 users Like staroceanex's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
(06-27-2020, 05:38 PM)staroceanex Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 01:50 PM)ctcarl Wrote: If you're not up against a deadline for your school, you can get a 30-day extension from Sophia, as has been pointed out upthread.

Meh, Comp I is certainly doable. I have 30 days left and need one final paper graded. The trick is to do everything ahead of time and submit each paper after one is graded. Sure the turn around is 5-10 days but if you're proactive it is possible. Same goes for the Speech class.
Thank you so much! Do you think I should bother with the foundations of English comp? Or skip that in order to Get Comp I and II done for September. Those two classes I do need done or else I have to take them in Semester I. Thank you so much for your response!

Thank you yes I know another the extension. Fortunately they advertise outright very well. My school doesn’t have deadlines but semester one requires English I, College Algebra and Intro Psych

(06-27-2020, 08:30 AM)rachel83az Wrote: That's 10 courses. You have about 8 weeks. If you can finish 2 per week (2, to give you a bit of leeway), it's definitely doable. Moreso if you get the extension.
Thank you so much!!

(06-27-2020, 08:09 AM)P226mem Wrote: I think Sophia still gives a 30 day extension upon request.  When it gets closer to the 60 day mark, ask for extension on the courses you haven't finished.
time to completion:  I had a lot of time each day to work on them. I microfocused when doing sophia courses meaning I'd work one course at a time for several hours a day so that usually it was "one unit per day".  So they went quickly with my style of it and it helped knowing some of the information.  Eng comp 1 grading lag time:  from my sibling's experience, work ahead on the assignments while waiting for feedback, then revise/edit after feedback and submit, and if needed ask for extension due to lag time in grading.  I haven't done the math ones with sophia.

You asked on UL humanities. Check into study.com if your school accepts that.  I'm at tesu and also able to use coopersmith.  What school are you going to? Maybe someone has specific ideas for specific place, if you don't mind sharing.

and A&I Clep is usually lower level.
Thank you for recommending study.com for the UL!!! And thank you for clarifying that a&i is lower level  Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,282 Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 376 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,651 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 277 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,794 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,864 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,394 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 546 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 603 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,958 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet