Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it true?
I've read on the boards that CLEP Social Science & History is totally passable even without studying. For those of you who have taken it, would you agree?

I've taken almost everything that's on it except western civ and poli sci. And I'm doing something a little blasphemous on this one - I'm really only taking the Peterson's practice exams. My reasoning is that I don't want to study volumes of information. I'm scoring in the low 60% range on Petersons, some are easy and some I have absolutely no idea about. I'm thinking I'm OK but would love any feedback... My exam is scheduled for Thursday after work. Thanks!! Smile
[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="2"]
Best of luck,
Joanne [/size]
[SIZE="1"]
31 hours traditional schooling
11 Microsoft exams, 1 Linux+, 2 ICCP's, 6 CLEP's, 12 DSSTs, and 6 ECE's
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"]Degree Completed!
BS in Liberal Studies[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
libartsmgr Wrote:I've read on the boards that CLEP Social Science & History is totally passable even without studying. For those of you who have taken it, would you agree?

I've taken almost everything that's on it except western civ and poli sci. And I'm doing something a little blasphemous on this one - I'm really only taking the Peterson's practice exams. My reasoning is that I don't want to study volumes of information. I'm scoring in the low 60% range on Petersons, some are easy and some I have absolutely no idea about. I'm thinking I'm OK but would love any feedback... My exam is scheduled for Thursday after work. Thanks!! Smile

libartsmgr,

The whole purpose of these exams is to earn college credit for what you "already know". If you already 'know' enough to pass a particular exam, then study is obviously not a requirement.

A medical doctor taking Here's to Your Health, or Drug & Alcohol Abuse, would probably not need to study. A Psychologist taking Intro to Psychology would probably not need to study. A Supreme Court Justice taking Intro to Criminal Justice, or American Government would probably not need to study.

You get my point?

If you already know enough to pass the exam (and you are certain of it), then why waste time studying, just go ahead and take the exam.

That's basically what we do whenever we take an exam without taking the actual full-length course...we study to ensure that we 'know' enough to pass the exam. It would be silly for us to take the full course if we already know enough to pass the exam just by studying on our own.

So, if you have already amassed the requisite knowledge to pass this exam, then you should by all means go ahead and take it. That's the whole point....to earn college credit for what you already 'know'.

Just make certain that you DO already know enough to pass! If not...study!

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Thanks for the feedback Snazz, and yes, I do get that concept. This is not my first (or second, or tenth) exam.

I guess I should have been more specific in my post. I'm looking for feedback from people who have taken this particular exam and if they agree it's passable without spending time on western civ or poli sci.

Anyone who has taken this one, I would be interested in your thoughts about the exam.

Thanks!
[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="2"]
Best of luck,
Joanne [/size]
[SIZE="1"]
31 hours traditional schooling
11 Microsoft exams, 1 Linux+, 2 ICCP's, 6 CLEP's, 12 DSSTs, and 6 ECE's
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"]Degree Completed!
BS in Liberal Studies[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
libartsmgr Wrote:Thanks for the feedback Snazz, and yes, I do get that concept. This is not my first (or second, or tenth) exam.

I guess I should have been more specific in my post. I'm looking for feedback from people who have taken this particular exam and if they agree it's passable without spending time on western civ or poli sci.

Anyone who has taken this one, I would be interested in your thoughts about the exam.

Thanks!

Yes, I believe it is passable on those merits. I took all of the tests in the social sciences/history section except western civ II before taking it and ended up with a 70 (though I had already studied some for western civ II; I took it and passed later that day). I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I do think that you should be able to pass it no problem without western civ. As for poli sci, do you mean American Gov? I don't remember that having a huge bearing on the test, but it has been over a year since I took it. Still, given the wide margin that I passed it, I'd think you'd be OK.
I'm an engineer. Go figure.
libartsmgr Wrote:I've read on the boards that CLEP Social Science & History is totally passable even without studying. For those of you who have taken it, would you agree?

Easiest test I have taken..no studying ..scored a 63!
Good luck,
Ron
Ron Bowman..Tx.
LIBERAL ARTS MAJOR
ATTENDING T.E.S.C.
27 CLEP AND DANTES COMPLETED COURSES AND 12 F.E.M.A.

ONE CLASS TO GO AND I'LL BE DONE. ASTRONOMY IS ALL THAT'S LEFT AND CAP AND GOWN HERE I COME !!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  True to his words - Many years later, NHL Player finishes degree! bjcheung77 2 708 06-19-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Pass Come True for IASSC Green Belt Exam passit1 4 1,074 02-24-2016, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Jody7818
  Straighterline to UMUC credit: true? g-force 2 1,110 01-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Last Post: g-force
  TESC Rumors True --- it's becoming a University (big changes to follow) Daithi 11 1,248 04-02-2013, 05:15 AM
Last Post: Can219
  A sad yet true tale RBOWMAN 25 4,417 11-30-2006, 08:21 AM
Last Post: fiveninerzero