Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the CLEP English Comp with Essay always worth 6 credits?
I took this exam circa 2000 & passed. I don't recall my exact score. I'm going to be starting at TESC, but my CLEP transcript hasn't been sent in yet. The community college I went to only gave me 3 credits for the exam. Does TESC always give 6 credits? Or does it depend on the person's score?
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
SweetSecret Wrote:I took this exam circa 2000 & passed. I don't recall my exact score. I'm going to be starting at TESC, but my CLEP transcript hasn't been sent in yet. The community college I went to only gave me 3 credits for the exam. Does TESC always give 6 credits? Or does it depend on the person's score?

The English Composition Clep with Essay transfers to TESC for English I and II for 6 credits. Since you already completed English I at your college, TESC will consider 3 credits of the CLEP duplicate and will transcribe it as 0 credits. So you GET 6 credits but TESC will APPLY 3. I hope that makes sense.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko is correct but I think it should read "3" where it says "0." In other words, what your CC gave you doesn't matter- each school starts with a fresh CLEP transcript and decides for themselves what you'll get. TESC specifically gives the full amount of every exam, so 6 is available, but if you did already fill 3 cr using an English class, you're still going to end up with 6 total. There are only 6 English comp credits available- so you can take them through any combo of classes/exams, but looks like you're all set on English! Good job! Smile
cookderosa Wrote:Prloko is correct but I think it should read "3" where it says "0." In other words, what your CC gave you doesn't matter- each school starts with a fresh CLEP transcript and decides for themselves what you'll get. TESC specifically gives the full amount of every exam, so 6 is available, but if you did already fill 3 cr using an English class, you're still going to end up with 6 total. There are only 6 English comp credits available- so you can take them through any combo of classes/exams, but looks like you're all set on English! Good job! Smile

You're correct. After rereading the OP, I realized they said that their CC gave them 3 credits. I misread it as they took a 3 credit english course at their CC. I need to stop speed reading.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
cookderosa Wrote:TESC specifically gives the full amount of every exam, so 6 is available

This is exactly what I needed to know! I ended up being required to take English Composition II. I thought I was doing good all semester, until I got back the one paper we had to write & the professor said it was "too scientific". I think the reality is she just didn't like the topic I wrote on, because science is far from being my fortÃ. She ended up giving me a "D", which I obviously can't transfer into TESC, so I was hoping that TESC would give me the 6 credits based on the English Comp CLEP that I took years prior to the class. The sad thing is that "D" will still count towards my total GPA at TESC though.

Between that class & one other, I am a huge believer that CLEP & other exams are the way to go. Standardized tests are better than having a professor grade you on their personal opinion of you... or your interests.
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
SweetSecret Wrote:This is exactly what I needed to know! I ended up being required to take English Composition II. I thought I was doing good all semester, until I got back the one paper we had to write & the professor said it was "too scientific". I think the reality is she just didn't like the topic I wrote on, because science is far from being my fortÃ. She ended up giving me a "D", which I obviously can't transfer into TESC, so I was hoping that TESC would give me the 6 credits based on the English Comp CLEP that I took years prior to the class. The sad thing is that "D" will still count towards my total GPA at TESC though.

Between that class & one other, I am a huge believer that CLEP & other exams are the way to go. Standardized tests are better than having a professor grade you on their personal opinion of you... or your interests.

The D will show on the transcript but TESC only uses its own grades in calculating internal GPAs. You only need complete one TESC online or guided study course and that will be your graduating GPA. Of course if your plan is to continue your education, grad schools will request all transcripts and recalculate your GPA accordingly.

I remember reading on this forum yrs ago where someone used a CLEP or DSST exam to replace a D grade. Unfortunately, I don't remember if it was at TESC or Excelsior. Or even if this is possible at all schools, but what was inferred is that it basically washes a low grade. I never had to do something like this so I'm not completely sure of the process, maybe someone who has more knowledge on the subject will chime in?

And unfortunately, or fortunately, I have found professors/instructors will usually take a personal opinion on students work. The best way to avoid this, never take a personal viewpoint on institutional assignments. I learned this early on in HS Honors English IV and College ENG101; was lucky to have two brilliant and caring professors. Some courses offer journal writing projects, they are sometimes meant for personal or creative musings. Otherwise, my advice, always remain in the center using respected published works to justify alternate sides.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
SweetSecret Wrote:This is exactly what I needed to know! I ended up being required to take English Composition II. I thought I was doing good all semester, until I got back the one paper we had to write & the professor said it was "too scientific". I think the reality is she just didn't like the topic I wrote on, because science is far from being my fortÃ. She ended up giving me a "D", which I obviously can't transfer into TESC, so I was hoping that TESC would give me the 6 credits based on the English Comp CLEP that I took years prior to the class. The sad thing is that "D" will still count towards my total GPA at TESC though.

After you apply to TESC and transfer all your credits in you might wanna talk to someone there about removing the "D" class from your TESC transcript (ask if you can and then if you can, how to do it).
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
There is no need to have the "D" removed. Grades for transfer courses are not going to be on the transcript. TESC calculates a GPA that includes transfer credits for internal, quality control purposes. However, the transfer credits will not factor into the official GPA from TESC. No one will see the GPA TESC has calculated on your evaluation.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
My concern is partly it being on the transcript, but partly if it would affect my ability to graduate with honors due to some other recent classes circa 2008. I finished my two associates degrees with honors. Then I was working a fulltime & two part-time jobs to pay for school towards my bachelors. I was super stressed/exhausted, and my grades one semester really suffered. I just want to try getting back on track. One of the things that attracted me to TESC was that the TECEP exams were simply pass or fail, without having to worry about opinions of professors or a lot of busy-work. Granted, I am not working now, so I have a lot more time for busy-work & studying. It would be really great though if I could grafuate with honors again though!
sanantone Wrote:There is no need to have the "D" removed. Grades for transfer courses are not going to be on the transcript. TESC calculates a GPA that includes transfer credits for internal, quality control purposes. However, the transfer credits will not factor into the official GPA from TESC. No one will see the GPA TESC has calculated on your evaluation.

There is a reason why I mentioned this. See below:

Intellectual Skills (Completed)
> Complete 15 semester hours (SH) of Intellectual and
> Practical Skills coursework, to include:
> *English Composition I, 3SH with grade of C or better
> *English Composition II (Writing Intensive), 3SH with grade
> of C or better

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,110 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,276 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,692 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU English Career Path? renaissancewoman87 14 4,759 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,845 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,820 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,607 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,375 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
  Western Civilization I & II CLEP Banker214 4 1,585 07-12-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  EC now accepting FEMA credits Exfactor 6 2,802 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Last Post: sanantone