Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the CLEP English Comp with Essay always worth 6 credits?
bricabrac Wrote:There is a reason why I mentioned this. See below:

Intellectual Skills (Completed)
> Complete 15 semester hours (SH) of Intellectual and
> Practical Skills coursework, to include:
> *English Composition I, 3SH with grade of C or better
> *English Composition II (Writing Intensive), 3SH with grade
> of C or better

That's still not a reason to have the "D" grade removed. It won't even go into the degree plan; it will be put at the bottom with all of the other extra credits.

The CC course will be put on the TESC transcript with "0.00" credits. As with every other transferred course, however, the grade will not be put on the TESC transcript. How do I know? I had an English Comp I transfer course on which I received a "D." Luckily, TESC counted one of my writing courses from another school as English Comp I.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
SweetSecret Wrote:My concern is partly it being on the transcript, but partly if it would affect my ability to graduate with honors due to some other recent classes circa 2008. I finished my two associates degrees with honors. Then I was working a fulltime & two part-time jobs to pay for school towards my bachelors. I was super stressed/exhausted, and my grades one semester really suffered. I just want to try getting back on track. One of the things that attracted me to TESC was that the TECEP exams were simply pass or fail, without having to worry about opinions of professors or a lot of busy-work. Granted, I am not working now, so I have a lot more time for busy-work & studying. It would be really great though if I could grafuate with honors again though!

These are the only awards you can qualify for. One will require you to be a business major.

Quote:Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society
The School of Business and Technology has been approved as a chapter of the international honor society,
Sigma Beta Delta. Established in 1994, Sigma Beta Delta is an honor society for students in business, management and administration and serves institutions which offer bachelor’s and graduate degrees in business, management and administration where the institution holds accreditation from one of the six regional accrediting bodies, but not specialized accreditation in business. Thomas Edison State College’s chapter
was established in 2009.

Students invited into this society at Thomas Edison State College must meet the following requirements:

Students must be candidates for bachelor’s or master’s degrees in business and management
Students must have completed at least 12 credits in the School of Business and Technology at Thomas Edison State College

Undergraduate students must have a Thomas Edison State College grade point average of at least 3.5 and rank in the upper 20 percent of their graduating class
Graduate students must have a Thomas Edison State College grade point average of at least 3.75 and rank in the upper 20 percent of their class

Quote:Alpha Sigma Lambda Honor Society
Alpha Sigma Lambda National Honor Society was established in 1945 as a means of recognizing academic excellence for nontraditional students. Thomas Edison State College was accepted into membership by the society in 1996, with the establishment of the Lambda Tau Chapter.

For induction into this society, Thomas Edison State College students must meet the following requirements:

Have an overall Thomas Edison State College grade point average of 3.2
Have earned from Thomas Edison State College at least 24 graded credits of which 12 credits are in liberal arts/sciences
Student members will be selected only from the top 20 percent of the group of qualified students.

Quote:Arnold Fletcher Award
The Arnold Fletcher Award recognizes Thomas Edison State College bachelor’s degree graduates for achieving excellence in nontraditional learning. Award recipients are selected from each graduating class. The following areas are examples of appropriate nontraditional learning modes:

Credit for Courses Taught
Thomas Edison State College Courses (online, Guided Study and e-PackÂ)
Licenses/Certificates/Registries
Military Training Programs Evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE)
ACE
Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)
Testing Programs
Students selected for the award are required to have earned a minimum total of 90 credits from nontraditional learning.

It's not clear how they select people for the Arnold Fletcher Award. For the honor societies, it looks like only the TESC GPA counts.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:That's still not a reason to have the "D" grade removed. It won't even go into the degree plan; it will be put at the bottom with all of the other extra credits.

The CC course will be put on the TESC transcript with "0.00" credits. As with every other transferred course, however, the grade will not be put on the TESC transcript. How do I know? I had an English Comp I transfer course on which I received a "D." Luckily, TESC counted one of my writing courses from another school as English Comp I.

Thanks for the clarity! That was the reason I wanted the OP to contact the registrar. I did not know if the CLEP would be allowed as a replacement for an actual course.

Any who, in general, just because grades do not show on the TESC transcript does not mean they are not a permanent part of your academic file. Those transcripts will still be requested when applying to other schools (graduate programs). If they do not have the same policies as TESC, as already noted in the original post, the student may not meet future requirements in other programs. Please let me know if my assumption is incorrect?

As an FYI, TESC honor societies are competitive. The BSBA is a popular major with traditional students. (Meaning those who prefer TESC courses and transfer in B&M courses.) Between both bachelors degrees, I acquired 27 online/guided study credits at TESC for a 3.8GPA in both programs. Unfortunately, I did not qualify for Alpha Sigma Lambda when my BA was conferred. But, with the BSBA, I was selected for membership in the Sigma Beta Delta honor society. I also do not know what criteria separates possible Arnold Fletcher award candidates; if any, other than what is stated in the catalog. As you mention, it does not seem to be GPA driven.

Hopefully my responses are clear, typing on my reader and it all just looks jumbled.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I don't want to say for sure that the CLEP can replace the course because I don't know. LOL. I know some traditional schools do not allow CLEPs for failed courses. But, yeah, you are right. That "D" will forever be part of the student's academic record when applying to graduate schools that require all transcripts. The only way to get rid of it is to retake the course at the original school if they will replace the grade instead of just average it.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:It's not clear how they select people for the Arnold Fletcher Award.

It's a secret society ;p

No, really though, if it's still the same as it was in 2008 you get it when you earn 90 credits through alternative means. I posted about it http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...wards.html when I graduated but things might have changed since then.
cookderosa Wrote:It's a secret society ;p

No, really though, if it's still the same as it was in 2008 you get it when you earn 90 credits through alternative means. I posted about it http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...wards.html when I graduated but things might have changed since then.

So, they just give it to anyone with 90 nontraditional credits? I didn't understand the "excellence" part as in what they use to measure it.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:So, they just give it to anyone with 90 nontraditional credits? I didn't understand the "excellence" part as in what they use to measure it.

Maybe you should ask? I'm not sure.
Maybe it is excellent as in.....
[video=youtube;-Dc6Pre77AY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dc6Pre77AY&feature=kp[/video]
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
Sorry...posted wrong area...giving feedback for Eng Comp Mod

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,085 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,218 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,671 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU English Career Path? renaissancewoman87 14 4,714 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,814 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,778 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,576 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,357 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
  Western Civilization I & II CLEP Banker214 4 1,569 07-12-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  EC now accepting FEMA credits Exfactor 6 2,761 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Last Post: sanantone