Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there any college that will give letter grades for transferred study.com courses?
Hi guys,

I know that the big three will easily accept study.com course credits.
But they won't give letter grades for transferred study.com courses on their transcript.

I'm curious if there's any online university that will give letter grades for transferred study.com courses??

Thanks,
What are you hoping to accomplish with letter grades for SDC courses?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(12-12-2020, 08:23 PM)MNomadic Wrote: What are you hoping to accomplish with letter grades for SDC courses?

I will try to transfer those SDC courses to other regionally accredited institution like CUNY.
COSC used to give grades for SL and Sophia courses (and maybe Study.com, I can't remember), but I think they stopped that quite a while ago.

I've not heard of a school that brings Study.com courses in with grades.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-12-2020, 08:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote: COSC used to give grades for SL and Sophia courses (and maybe Study.com, I can't remember), but I think they stopped that quite a while ago.

Wow.. so I missed that opportunity. If they give letter grades, those Study.com courses will be recognized as RA credits by other institutions.
(12-12-2020, 08:29 PM)nomaduser Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 08:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote: COSC used to give grades for SL and Sophia courses (and maybe Study.com, I can't remember), but I think they stopped that quite a while ago.

Wow.. so I missed that opportunity. If they give letter grades, those Study.com courses will be recognized as RA credits by other institutions.

Nope.  They still showed that they were transfer credits, so any institution you wanted to take them to would need to see them on their own transcript (from ACE in this case).

Giving a grade does not magically make the credit RA.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • nomaduser
Having a letter grade on a transcript could potentially be useful for graduate programs that want letter grades in certain courses. But at least some of those schools might not accept ACE credits anyway.

Assuming they accept SDC courses, I think Brandman might transcript them with a letter grade. They require that you pass with at least 81.5% on transferred ACE courses. Not sure why they'd do that if they simply give you a pass/fail grade, but it's certainly possible that they don't bother to put the grade on your transcript at all.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • nomaduser, Pikachu
To be clear, nearly every college will want to see original transcripts for all earned credits regardless of where you earned them. This means that colleges will not accept Study.com credits from a TESU (or whatever school) transcript. However, when the destination college sees those credits listed on your transcript as transfer credits, they will ask for the original transcripts. It won't matter whether those courses earned grades or not since college transcripts clearly indicate which courses were taken directly from them and which ones were transferred in. You won't fool anyone by trying to launder ACE credits through another institution to turn them into RA credits.

If your target college accepts ACE credits already, then you might not have any issues unless they don't accept the specific courses you've taken.

If you're applying to a school that doesn't normally accept ACE credits, it is likely that they will ignore the ACE courses on your transcript as if you never took those courses. This means that they will not count for or against your GPA, but it also means that they cannot be used to meet entry requirements or prerequisites for courses. So if they accept you at all, it may be a provisional admittance with the requirement that you must re-take any required courses from them directly during your first few terms before you will be officially enrolled. 

This is one of the reasons I recommend that anyone who wants to apply to grad school should plan ahead and aim for ~60 RA credits from their college when completing their bachelor's degree. If hitting 60 credits isn't realistic, you should make sure that your grad school entry requirements are met by RA courses. So, for example, if you're applying to a master's in CS with a bachelor's in CS, make sure your core CS courses are all RA courses to have the best chance of being admitted.

Of course, these recommendations really only matter if you're applying to a competitive-entry degree program. There are plenty of colleges that won't care where or how your credits were earned if you already have a valid RA bachelor's degree.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • ss20ts
Why can't a standard for all credits be created so there is no more confusion.
(12-13-2020, 07:28 AM)Seagull Wrote: Why can't a standard for all credits be created so there is no more confusion.

Because there's no financial/business incentive to do so, and government-initiated action is an anathema to the American way.

In all seriousness, the current status quo benefits individual universities, as it allows them to retain most of the power and decision-making. The only way this would change is if universities unanimously agreed to relinquish that control to an external body, which I can't see happening.
[-] The following 1 user Likes innen_oda's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which college was recently disavowed? pluggingalong 5 291 04-01-2024, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Dnightowl
  ASU's non-proctored courses rachel83az 66 13,801 02-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Czech College Courses for 50+ in the US eriehiker 2 322 01-19-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 419 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  South Texas College CBE Construction, HVACR, & Electrician Technology Jonathan Whatley 2 423 12-09-2023, 05:25 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  College Mascots ItsNeverTheLionsYear 17 1,028 11-14-2023, 07:12 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  The official guide to self-study RA courses from ASU, BYU, UIdaho, etc. rachel83az 50 32,215 11-10-2023, 07:01 PM
Last Post: jch
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,538 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
  Nichols College BS in Business Administration karehiro 25 3,399 04-02-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: JPN
  Snow College accelerated AS - review/help IReallyNeedADegree 43 3,135 03-21-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Cofffeee