Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there any college that will give letter grades for transferred study.com courses?
Plus, I imagine the current standard makes universities more money than if everything were simple. There is much less incentive for people to start at a community college, let alone use alternate credits, if there is a good chance that you'll just have to redo those same classes when you move on to a 4-year degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-13-2020, 07:57 AM)innen_oda Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 07:28 AM)Seagull Wrote: Why can't a standard for all credits be created so there is no more confusion.

Because there's no financial/business incentive to do so, and government-initiated action is an anathema to the American way.

In all seriousness, the current status quo benefits individual universities, as it allows them to retain most of the power and decision-making. The only way this would change is if universities unanimously agreed to relinquish that control to an external body, which I can't see happening.
It is a capitalistic market, all this only drives students and future job seekers to better options overseas.

European colleges are much cheaper even for international students.
(12-13-2020, 10:02 AM)Seagull Wrote: It is a capitalistic market, all this only drives students and future job seekers to better options overseas.

I doubt it. The vast majority of universities in countries most Americans would be willing to move to, have already factored this in to their tuition costs (Australia and the UK are the first two which come to mind).
To be honest, I know of very few Americans driven overseas due to the cost of university. Of the ones who have moved overseas, they've either piggybacked on a partner's job/military transfer, or did their undergrad in the US and then moved abroad to one of the 'approved' nations. Or they're doing the TEFL thing for a few years - something native English speakers of all nations do, regardless of uni costs.

As for the 'non-approved' countries (so: the ones with bad PR), even if you do consider the small percentage of Americans willing to move to them, you have to account for the cost of a visa (not just money, but time), the mental costs of being in a new country, and not being able to live at home while you study. Plus potential language issues, not having a social network to help find work or housing, and the necessary savings to get you by until you get settled.

I think your perception of this capitalistic market is slightly idealised, and ignores a lot of externalities of studying overseas, beyond the pure cost of tuition.
[-] The following 1 user Likes innen_oda's post:
  • ss20ts
(12-13-2020, 10:02 AM)Seagull Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 07:57 AM)innen_oda Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 07:28 AM)Seagull Wrote: Why can't a standard for all credits be created so there is no more confusion.

Because there's no financial/business incentive to do so, and government-initiated action is an anathema to the American way.

In all seriousness, the current status quo benefits individual universities, as it allows them to retain most of the power and decision-making. The only way this would change is if universities unanimously agreed to relinquish that control to an external body, which I can't see happening.
It is a capitalistic market, all this only drives students and future job seekers to better options overseas.

European colleges are much cheaper even for international students.

I know of nobody who went to a European college because it was cheaper.

But, I know MANY people who to did other thing to cut costs - went to a CC first,; took DE in high school; took AP courses/exams; took CLEP and DSST exams; chose less expensive colleges; worked to get scholarships; worked and saved before going to college; got tuition reimbursement from their job; did not go to college at all.  Lots of options for people who can't afford a 4yr university straight out of high school.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
(12-13-2020, 12:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I know of nobody who went to a European college because it was cheaper.

But, I know MANY people who to did other thing to cut costs - went to a CC first,; took DE in high school; took AP courses/exams; took CLEP and DSST exams; chose less expensive colleges; worked to get scholarships; worked and saved before going to college; got tuition reimbursement from their job; did not go to college at all.  Lots of options for people who can't afford a 4yr university straight out of high school.

Exactly. This forum is a testament to the lengths some of us will go to, to get a US bachelor degree without incurring massive debt.

Because there is a difference between RA credit and ACE credit. ACE credit is not accepted by all schools. RA credit is accepted by all schools. Now that doesn't mean that all of your credits will transfer as the credits need to fit into the degree program.
Nomaduser, If you really want external GPA (yes, there's a difference between that and internal GPA), COSC should still offer graded credits on StraighterLine and Study.com courses if it goes directly to them through their current transcript service. There really isn't a point as other schools would know this is an external GPA, it won't really reflect anywhere, as I think the transcript from COSC will show it's transferred credit.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • nomaduser
Thanks, I will ask COSC about it. I'm curious how much they will charge lol
You can try it for FREE! PM me for an application waiver fee and send your transcripts in through Sophia, Study.com, StraighterLine, or whatever you currently have. They use the Parchment service, so hopefully, it is free! Here's the site: https://acorn.charteroak.edu/ICS/Parchme...ign-On.jnz
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • nomaduser
(12-13-2020, 03:26 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Nomaduser, If you really want external GPA (yes, there's a difference between that and internal GPA), COSC should still offer graded credits on StraighterLine and Study.com courses if it goes directly to them through their current transcript service.  There really isn't a point as other schools would know this is an external GPA, it won't really reflect anywhere, as I think the transcript from COSC will show it's transferred credit.

I think COSC did away with this some time ago.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU's non-proctored courses rachel83az 66 13,436 02-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Czech College Courses for 50+ in the US eriehiker 2 270 01-19-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 350 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  South Texas College CBE Construction, HVACR, & Electrician Technology Jonathan Whatley 2 383 12-09-2023, 05:25 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  College Mascots ItsNeverTheLionsYear 17 936 11-14-2023, 07:12 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  The official guide to self-study RA courses from ASU, BYU, UIdaho, etc. rachel83az 50 31,527 11-10-2023, 07:01 PM
Last Post: jch
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,155 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
  Nichols College BS in Business Administration karehiro 25 3,349 04-02-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: JPN
  Snow College accelerated AS - review/help IReallyNeedADegree 43 3,057 03-21-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  What is the best college/option for me? ZKL111 20 2,105 03-17-2023, 02:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az