Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isn't WGU a no brainer choice for CS Bachelor? Why did so many people choose TESU?
Its possible to try ENEB with evaluation at ECE to cover 30 credits.there is no guarantee it will work 100% but it can as well work. So its also possibility if one is not in rush and is looking for extra knowledge before going for Bachelor
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cofffeee's post:
  • OP88
(05-28-2021, 04:46 PM)OP88 Wrote: ""but you still have to pay for the courses you're transferring in  
yeah, with Modern States and Sophia the costs of the transfers may not be huge, but even if it's just $50 per credit that's $5700 and even if its just $20 a credits its $2280 
then you still have to pay for the 6 credits at TESU which is $3000"

Ugh this is getting more and more expensive...I'm so new to all this. I'm not aware there is a $50 per credit transfer cost? Is it TESU or Sophia that is charging that? Would I have to pay that per transfer cost too if I'm transferring credits to WGU instead of TESU? How likely would one be able to finish roughly 32 credit hours in 1 WGU term/6 month?

If you're going with TESU, I'm guesstimating $7500-$10k depending on where you get your credits, how long it takes, etc.  For instance, for your RA credit: if you have free Community College in your state, you can get your 24cr of RA there for nothing.  If you use ONU it will cost $$50/cr x 24cr = $1200.

For your alt-credit: if you use ModernStates.org for CLEP, those will all be free (voucher for free exams plus reimbursement for $30 test center fees); if you do Study.com at a slow pace, it will cost a lot more.

It REALLY just depends.

If you are seriously worried about costs, you probably should switch to UMPI.  That will be your cheapest route if you can bring in 90cr, and do the last 30cr there in 1-2 terms.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • OP88
Old thread but my reasons are this:

1. I forsee TESU making it MUCH harder to get a degree through them in the future. With 30 RA credits, that is just the first step. They seem to want us to leave. So my thought process is that eventually things will go back to normal and people will find a better options besides TESU and I will just have a random state degree. There won't be a lot of info about people accelerating a degree through TESU and it will keep a good reputation long term. UMPI is working on a compsci degree too. If this happens, ain't nobody going to tesu anymore.
2. Being able to bring in WAY more credits than WGU is a huge plus.
3. Not having to take as many math classes makes the degree faster.
4. I'm going to accelerate an MBA through WGU probably but I am worried about their reputation in the future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CanICode's post:
  • LevelUP
Another reason I could think of is the fact that TESU offers "add-on" degrees. This was a massive reason why I chose TESU over the others. You can essentially just add on extra certs, associates and even a 2nd bachelors for just a tiny bit of extra work (or sometimes completely free). For eg: If you do the BA CS, the AS in Math will already be 100% completed (assuming you've done Calc 1).
In progress:
XAMK: Video Game Creation certificate (8/13 courses completed)
Metropolia: Multiple Courses (In Progress: IT Services Sales and Marketing)

Completed:
Sophia: 62 credits
i-to-i: 180-hour TEFL certificate (DEAC- accredited)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Personherebb9's post:
  • LevelUP
WGU Disadvantages over TESU
- Doesn't accept international students
- No grades. This might be a factor if planning on doing master's, etc, at a competitive college.
- All-or-nothing exams (some don't like that)
- More rigorous overall (though not by a lot but something to consider. Discrete Math II, Data Structures II, Software I/II)
- Timewise takes a bit longer than TESU to do due to the extra rigor (1-3 months)
- 8 required courses to do at WGU versus 2 at TESU
- Strict on transferring old credits (5+ years)
- One degree you get versus multiple degrees possible at TESU which adds a lot of value for TESU
- No customization of degree. With TESU, you have 30 Free electives and lots of choices in GE.

That being said WGU is a great college with a solid reputation in the job market.

You can get a good estimate if you got what it takes to finish WGU in one term based on how fast you do some of the rigorous technical courses such as Discrete Math, Calculus, Intro Programming, Data Structures, and Computer Arch.

If you can do 7 courses in 6 months, then you get a month's extension to finish the capstone.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
(05-27-2021, 03:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The main reason I chose TESU over WGU for Computer Science is because I know how much it will cost and the amount of energy I need to put into my courses, and also know the amount of time or speed to finish these courses.  At WGU, if "life happens" and/or you have other commitments, it will be harder to finish on a schedule, if you can finish in two terms, it'll be cheaper, once you hit three terms, you've paid a bit too much.  Further to that, at TESU, you can transfer in 114 credits and just take the final cornerstone/capstone with TESU, I also know what courses can transfer over, at WGU, it's hard to transfer in the max 90 credits as there are some courses that don't really have equivalents "the alternative way" and then there are some they don't allow to transfer in...

This is exactly right. Although I did my bachelors with WGU I'm looking at Chamberlain for the NP degree certification. If life happens with WGU you're screwed and the degree will take you longer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 83 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BS IT - TESU or Purdue ChickenEnjoyer 1 85 04-23-2024, 11:36 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 127 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 256 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 207 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 408 04-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  Fastest & Easiest UMPI Bachelor's shawnette 8 412 04-05-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  TESU - BA CS + BS CIS ahmedeo0510@gmail.com 12 416 04-03-2024, 12:34 PM
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 389 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  best way to get a CS degree for people with experience? bwokbwok 8 440 03-20-2024, 06:27 AM