Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ivy League or close ?
(04-14-2022, 11:35 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 11:33 AM)rachel83az Wrote: HES = Harvard Extension School

DUH LOL 

HES is not the same as being accepted into Harvard though. You're not a Harvard alumni which is kind of weird.

That's not correct. Harvard Extension School degree recipients absolutely are Harvard alumni. They walk and receive degrees at the same commencements and hold the same eligibility for full membership in the same Harvard Alumni Association as graduates of other constituents like Harvard College.

Harvard Extension School certificate-only recipients generally don't. But similar gradations exist for certificate-only recipients of other Harvard constituents, and similarly at other universities. The Harvard Extension Alumni Association does have an associate membership level for graduate certificate-only recipients.

Quote:But it's Harvard. They do strange things.

That's correct! Can confirm.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • collegecareerstudent, hsfamfun, jch, Pikachu
(04-14-2022, 11:47 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:

DUH LOL 

HES is not the same as being accepted into Harvard though. You're not a Harvard alumni which is kind of weird.

That's not correct. Harvard Extension School degree recipients absolutely are Harvard alumni. They walk and receive degrees at the same commencements and hold the same eligibility for full membership in the same Harvard Alumni Association as graduates of other constituents like Harvard College.

Harvard Extension School certificate-only recipients generally don't. But similar gradations exist for certificate-only recipients of other Harvard constituents, and similarly at other universities. The Harvard Extension Alumni Association does have an associate membership level for graduate certificate-only recipients.

HES certificates don't become Harvard alumni and that seems to be what most people on here do.
(04-14-2022, 11:48 AM)ss20ts Wrote:

DUH LOL 

HES certificates don't become Harvard alumni and that seems to be what most people on here do.

It was my impression that most members go to HES for degrees (at lest the most active discussions were about degrees), not just certificates.

As for the topic - yes, I know a guy who got into elite school with Big 3 degree. Moreover, he got a full ride scholarship - which is not that uncommon for residential PhD program.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
[-] The following 1 user Likes NoStudentNoCry's post:
  • uncapentin
HES has earn-your-way admissions. It's not competitive at all, so I doubt anyone would ask this question about HES or a similar school/program unless they didn't look at the admissions requirements.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Also, a member of this board recently posted about getting a full ride for a doctorate program at the main Purdue campus with a COSC undergrad and a WGU masters.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 3 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, Pikachu, uncapentin
(04-14-2022, 09:45 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 09:18 AM)uncapentin Wrote: I'm just curious. Has anyone applied to a top named or Ivy League school, with a Big 3 or next 9 degree and been accepted for grad school ?

What's a next 9 degree?  I think that's the first time someone mentioned "next 9"... let me see, there have been a few people from the Big 3 and CBE providers going onto Ivy League and Top 50 schools, someone even became a professor at Harvard!

It's what Jennifer Cook-DeRosa termed a group of schools that took 90cr of RA/Alt-credit (a couple will also take NA and/or NCCRS), and the remaining 30cr were under a certain price (I think it was around $12k or less with discounts/scholarships):
CSU-Global (CO)
Franklin University (OH)
Granite State College (NH)
Liberty University
SNHU
SUNY-Empire
UMGC
Upper Iowa University
Wilmington University (DE)

She had some additional requirements (RA, non-profit, etc.).  There are obviously more schools out there that will fit, but we came to the conclusion that a round 12 schools was enough for our purposes.

Now we generally refer to them as HCT schools (High Credit Transfer).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • ARhead, jch, Pikachu

DUH LOL 

Quote:But it's Harvard. They do strange things.

That's correct! Can confirm.

Wait... so does that mean that children of HES grads qualify for legacy admissions at Harvard?
(06-04-2022, 02:34 PM)Pikachu Wrote: Wait... so does that mean that children of HES grads qualify for legacy admissions at Harvard?

Not to Harvard College, no.

See "Are my chances of admission enhanced if a relative has attended Harvard?" on the admissions FAQ page.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
Hmm, I think I want to apply to Harvard as my "family" attended there! <Admissions takes an additional look, throws it into the trash> <I jump for joy, yay! I DID NOT GET into Harvard>

From the link provided: "The application process is the same for all candidates. Among a group of similarly distinguished applicants, the children of Harvard College alumni/ae may receive an additional look."
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Going to HES isn't the same as going to Harvard. Yes, Harvard does grant the degree. I almost attended there, but decided not to, because some folks who got the degree said they got calls from recruiters. But after the recruiters digged in and discovered that they went to HES and not the programs that had 2% acceptance rate, the recruiters enthusiasm went away. Also, if you go to harvard's official blog page, they tell people who went to HES to stop telling people they went to harvard. That was the deal-breaker for me (when Harvard disrespects their own degree)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ivy League masters. Fair pricing Pats20 26 3,624 08-23-2021, 06:55 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Princeton is the only Ivy League school without online degrees sanantone 10 1,632 06-28-2021, 06:51 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  American Classical League: 1 Grad. Credit Ashland U/3 Credits CEU Miami of Ohio eriehiker 0 834 06-17-2020, 12:50 PM
Last Post: eriehiker