Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Fair Results
well guys, I have about a year left in the military before I get out so i decided to go a job fair. well long story short it was the wrong job fair for me, I was looking for a white collar job fair and this was all technician jobs BUT the results were still outstanding. Based on my navy experience as a manager, leader and a tech, I was looking at about $18 an hour, this was $10 more than I was making before I joined. When I was asked if I had an AAS, my pay went up to no lower than $23. Then I mention I had a bachelors and soon to have a masters, they dropped their jaws and told me that they needed a resume and contact info and wanted to know when I could start (almost like I was hired.) Everyone told me also that when I finished my masters I am looking at a substantial pay increase and a whole new set of jobs.

I was asked a few times where I went to college, and I told them excelsior some said that they have head of if, no one scoffed at it for being an online school and everyone was excited about it.

They said they were not hiring people with my credentials here but most said they would call me and we could set something up. well this was on Tuesday, it is now Sunday I have since gotten 23 call backs so far (out of 35 resumes I put out), wanting to meet for a formal interview and to sign stuff (to be hired) Sadly I had to decline because I am still in the navy for another year.

When I finally attend a white collar job fair (if they exists) I hope that I will be treated with the same enthusiasm but either way this shows that big three degrees are worth the same as their B&M counterparts.
AAT, Electromechanics, Excelsior College 2007
BS, Political Science, Excelsior College 2008
MSSL, Strategic Leadership, Mountain State (currently enrolled) 2009
what is your rank? thanks
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
I am an E4 but dont let that fool you in terms of experience or leadership abilities.
Was it a military or VA job fair? I know that the VA sponsors job fairs about once per year in most cities. You might want to check that out if you haven't done that yet. Good luck.
[SIZE="1"]AAS (Electronics), TESC-Done
BA Psychology, TESC-Done & waiting
Tests- Eng. Comp. w/ Essay-51, Principles of Mgmt.-59, Intro. to Soc.-62, US History I-66, US History II-61, Intro. to Psych.-68, Biology-55, A&I Lit.-62, Ed. Psych.-63, Soc. Sci. and History-63, Human Growth & Development-65, American Gov't-64, Tech. Writing-63, HTYH-64, Drug & Alc. Abuse-58, Org. Behavior-67, Prin. of Statistics-62, Intro. World Religion-68, Intro to Computing-403, Ethics-439. Research Methods in Psych.-A, Psych. of Personality TECEP-73, Abnormal Psych TECEP-74, Industrial Psych-71
Next-???[/SIZE]
yeah it was just a military job fair. it was kind of small... but i got some time.
This is the most encouraging thing I have read here in a while!! Anyone unsure of going ahead and earning their degree needs to read your post!! 23 calls is UNHEARD OF. That's great!!
cookderosa Wrote:This is the most encouraging thing I have read here in a while!! Anyone unsure of going ahead and earning their degree needs to read your post!! 23 calls is UNHEARD OF. That's great!!
23 calls is also borderline annoying. :p
I take you have a clearance since you’re military?

Check out Lockheed Martin. We hundreds if not thousands of jobs available.

Other sites I used:
Security Clearance Jobs, Cleared Jobs, Military Jobs, Clearance Jobs, Clearance Security Jobs, Jobs Cleared, Jobs Military Security Clearance, Jobs Cleareance, Top Secret Security Clearance Jobs from ClearedJobs.Net

Targeted Job Fairs
English Comp
Social Science and History
Intro Sociology
Intro Psychology

DSST:
Here's to your Health
Intro World Religion

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Job Fair insights DavidHume 9 1,960 02-18-2018, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Sagan