Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawmakers Introduce Legislation Cancelling Student Loan Debt
(07-30-2019, 01:48 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I have 2 kids who are nearing college age, and I will be helping them pay for college - so you're telling me that I have to pay for THEIR college AND other people's college?  No thanks.  This is not because I'm stingy, or aging, it's because I believe in paying for what I signed up for.  Everyone didn't HAVE to take out these loans - they chose to.  I also don't want to pay off other people's cars, or houses.  Again, not because I am some greedy jerk, but because I didn't sign up for their car payments or mortgages.  AND, I don't think they should have to pay off mine.

Well said.

(07-31-2019, 03:05 PM)NolaRice Wrote: My parents didn't pay for college and kicked me out early, it took 8 years to get my bachelor's degree without taking out any loans. I don't agree with having to pay someone else's bills, but I wouldn't be against some measure helping people to refinance their loans at a much lower rate, and writing off part of their loans in exchange for services to their community. Community college also needs to be free or near-free, and something must be done to lower tuition at state universities. A bachelor's degree at my flagship costs 50k, that's insane. But I don't wanna pay for someone's 70k art institute degree, while I busted my ass and worked around the clock doing things the right way, sorry.

Also well said. I'm curious when you said it took you 8 years to get your bachelors degree, are you referring to your TESU degree or a prior degree?

Here are my ideas on how to make college less expensive. I think they should change the way Pell Grant works. Maybe make it so you don't get a refund check. Too many people exploit that, especially in my state. Although they have made it harder, by requiring more classes to get aid and if you don't attend the first class your aid is frozen and too many withdrawals screw up your aid as well. Anyways, I say if they get rid of the refund, they could expand the pell grant to more people or just give the existing people more aid if they take a full load. Another idea is to have a staggered Pell Grant based on credits completed. Basically, if you are almost done with your degree you get more aid. I'm not sure how this would work exactly, but the idea is, it would encourage people to not just start a degree, but finish it as well.

Also, find a way to make more scholarships available for upperclassman as well as non-traditional college students. Most scholarships only available to high school seniors and first-year college students.

Additionally, people should really educate people about student loans. Lots of people have no idea how they work. I know someone who used their student loans to pay for a new television, concert tickets and a fancy apartment because "student loans cover it."
I also know someone who took out a $1,000 loan (the least amount they were allowed take out) and used that loan to pay for only $400 worth of CC courses. But they spend so much money on vending machines, soda and snacks. With the right guidance if they had just made better choices along the way; They might not even needed to take out a loan at all.

I really think there should be some sort of personal finance class or test mandatory for all college students, or at least for any student who wants to take out a large loan.
(07-31-2019, 07:54 PM)natshar Wrote:
(07-30-2019, 01:48 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I have 2 kids who are nearing college age, and I will be helping them pay for college - so you're telling me that I have to pay for THEIR college AND other people's college?  No thanks.  This is not because I'm stingy, or aging, it's because I believe in paying for what I signed up for.  Everyone didn't HAVE to take out these loans - they chose to.  I also don't want to pay off other people's cars, or houses.  Again, not because I am some greedy jerk, but because I didn't sign up for their car payments or mortgages.  AND, I don't think they should have to pay off mine.

Well said.

(07-31-2019, 03:05 PM)NolaRice Wrote: My parents didn't pay for college and kicked me out early, it took 8 years to get my bachelor's degree without taking out any loans. I don't agree with having to pay someone else's bills, but I wouldn't be against some measure helping people to refinance their loans at a much lower rate, and writing off part of their loans in exchange for services to their community. Community college also needs to be free or near-free, and something must be done to lower tuition at state universities. A bachelor's degree at my flagship costs 50k, that's insane. But I don't wanna pay for someone's 70k art institute degree, while I busted my ass and worked around the clock doing things the right way, sorry.

Also well said. I'm curious when you said it took you 8 years to get your bachelors degree, are you referring to your TESU degree or a prior degree?

Mostly community college prerequisites. I had to work my way from remedial algebra all the way to calculus 2 and discrete math. Then a 3 years pause due to illness and a divorce. On top of that, lost time and credits due to poor advising.

I found TESU and this board in 2016, re-enrolled to complete my CS degree early this year when my life situation stabilized and I've been pedal to the metal since then. I can't believe I'm about to finish an entire AoS in Psychology in 3 months!
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
[-] The following 2 users Like NolaRice's post:
  • Ideas, natshar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weekend at Bernie’s in Real Life: Woman Wheels in Dead Man to Sign off on Loan LevelUP 0 63 04-17-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Biden Administration's Student Loan Debt Plan Masterthread ashkir 47 4,603 04-20-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 765 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 611 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Student Loan Forgiveness Application is Live ashkir 0 5,302 10-14-2022, 10:25 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  National Transfer Student Week Alpha 0 455 10-05-2022, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Student discounts (valid for multiple countries) rachel83az 3 742 07-29-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  Student Loan Forgiveness dodek101 31 4,035 07-29-2022, 01:08 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Student signs up for class, finds out 2 months in that his professor died 2 years ago studyingfortests 5 743 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  $347,000 in student debt who can't land a job... bjcheung77 12 1,591 07-18-2022, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Alpha