Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job opportunities with a degree from Excelsior
Hi! My name is Alex. I am new to the forum and had a question.
I am considering transfering to Excelsior from my current community college.
I have about 40 credits at this point from taking classes, my major is business administration.
I am interested in receiving my bachelors in either business marketing or global business from Excelsior.
Once I receive my bachelors, What could I expect from potential employers when I apply for a position, would they look down on the fact that my degree is from excelsior?
Could anyone share any experiences about finding a job with a degree from excelsior?
I am 21 years old at this point and don't have much experience in the business field.
Any help would be very appreciated.
Thank You.
That is a question with many answers. Depending on the field your looking to get into the difference between an OL degree and a B&M degree may be significant or not.
For instance if you want to get into new media/"dot coms" I cant imagine it hindering you at all, while if you want to go to a Fortune xxx company who typicaly hire first-year employees via school-recruiting relationships -- well that would be quite a hurdle ;P
I see your perspective, that is very true. Now just one additional question.
I am planning on going for my masters in business as soon as I graduate from excelsior. Would I have a difficult time finding a good school to transfer to?
Tarnum Wrote:I am planning on going for my masters in business as soon as I graduate from excelsior. Would I have a difficult time finding a good school to transfer to?

Excelsior have one themselves:
https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_Coll...ion_Degree
Thank you for you response. I'm already aware that excelsior has a MBA program. To be honest the reason I wanted to go for my masters at a different school is because it would probably look nicer on my resume (when applying for a job in the future) if I had a more "standard" school that is perhaps better known. What do you guys think about my point of view? PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG, I ONLY JOINED YESTERDAY.
Thank you, Alex.
This is just my personal opinion. But I think you can divide degrees into a few buckets.

1) Ivy league - most people know about them so there's a brand name recognition there.

2) Colleges that are known to the people within the companies you are applying to. It could be because the college is local and known or it's a school they have been to and knows about it. Or may be the hiring manager may have a preference for a college for various reasons. Note that a college that has a good reputation locally may have no effect to people in a company in other parts of the country.

3) The rest of the colleges fall under this bucket. Unless, something bad happened at the school, it becomes a check mark that you have that degree and it comes down to what you know and how you come across during the interview.
Tarnum Wrote:Thank you for you response. I'm already aware that excelsior has a MBA program. To be honest the reason I wanted to go for my masters at a different school is because it would probably look nicer on my resume (when applying for a job in the future) if I had a more "standard" school that is perhaps better known. What do you guys think about my point of view? PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG, I ONLY JOINED YESTERDAY.
Thank you, Alex.

You're not wrong at all. Getting a quick and inexpensive Bachelors degree from Excelsior and moving on to a more well known grad school would be a great way to go--and fairly common from what I've seen on this forum. I think that one of the best sources for learning about what careers people pursue with an Excelsior degree and which grad schools Excelsior degree holders have attended is their Live and Learn magazine, which can be found here: https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_Coll...n_Magazine

Be sure to check out the "Hats Off" section and click on the "Back Issues" link for more issues. Finally, I believe there's a page on their site where they list all of the grad schools who have accepted Excelsior students. Good luck and welcome to the board.
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
Thank you for the information. The people in this forum are truly amazing. I look forward to participating in this forum during my Journey with either Excelsior or Thomas Edison.Thanks again.
jonasling Wrote:This is just my personal opinion. But I think you can divide degrees into a few buckets.

1) Ivy league - most people know about them so there's a brand name recognition there.

2) Colleges that are known to the people within the companies you are applying to. It could be because the college is local and known or it's a school they have been to and knows about it. Or may be the hiring manager may have a preference for a college for various reasons. Note that a college that has a good reputation locally may have no effect to people in a company in other parts of the country.

3) The rest of the colleges fall under this bucket. Unless, something bad happened at the school, it becomes a check mark that you have that degree and it comes down to what you know and how you come across during the interview.

>>

Ding-ding-ding. That is the best answer of the day. I'll go one step further-

1. less than 1% of all colleges fit this profile, or let's say 99% don't.

2. less than 1% of colleges within a field fit this profile, or let's say 99% don't. In my field, I attended "the" school for my field, and it helped me land a great job right away. I was/am a competitive applicant within my field, and my fellow alumni would say the same....that said- once outside my field- it means squat.

3. 99% of the colleges fit here.

You should also consider options 1 and 2 are the most expensive options, and might have the most competitive admission process. Which is not to say that option 3 is cheaper- I see a lot of schools that fit into number 3 charge small fortunes for generic degrees/credit- and for some unknown reason- people pay it. Paying more doesn't mean anything. English 101 is English 101 is English 101. Be smart- if you can do options 1 or 2, I'd say do it. Can you get into Wharton? If the answer is yes, then do it. If you are in option 3 (99% of the students) then do it as cleverly as you can- THAT'S good business acumen.
Thank you Jennifer, I agree with you.
Never heard of wharton to be honest with you.
I have posted another thread concerning my major, wasn't sure if u should of continued here or not.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,221 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,868 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,350 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,677 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,884 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,780 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,021 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,967 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,327 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,691 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero