Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joining the Army Reserve?
Hello All.

I've been thinking about some ways to pay for school as well as get some "toughness" about myself!!! I've been toying with the idea that maybe I should join the Army Reserve.

Just to give you a little background information, I'll be 28 years old next Tuesday, single and work part-time only at the moment. I tried to go to the military back in 2007 but no one would take me because I have asthma. I don't have it bad like some folks do, but I do carry a Primatene inhaler with me (although I only use it once-in-a-blue-moon).

I went to the Army, Navy, and Marines and they all said the same thing. The Army recruiter did say that I could get past the "asthma requirement" if I didn't carry my inhaler and passed the physical requirement. At this time I did smoke cigarettes so I knew without my inhaler I wouldn't pass the physical. I have been smoke-free now for almost 90 days--- April 19th will be my 3 month anniversary!!!

Even though I quit smoking, I'm still not in the "best" of shape. But I know that with some regular exercise...I should definitely be okay to pass the physical requirement...I think!Wink I just want to know how "tough" the physical requirements REALLY are and based on the information provided...would you recommend that I even take this route under advisement or not?

I guess my question is...would it be worth it to join the Army Reserve to finish my Bachelors and Masters degrees? I could really use all the financial help I could get, plus I think it would be a nice bonus to add to my resume.

Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

From a loyal degree seeker,

Marshall
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
Enrolled in BA in Liberal Studies - 105/120 Completed

Associate in Science, Excelsior College
Yes. Yes to all of it.
mlwilliamsiv Wrote:Hello All.

I've been thinking about some ways to pay for school as well as get some "toughness" about myself!!! I've been toying with the idea that maybe I should join the Army Reserve.

Just to give you a little background information, I'll be 28 years old next Tuesday, single and work part-time only at the moment. I tried to go to the military back in 2007 but no one would take me because I have asthma. I don't have it bad like some folks do, but I do carry a Primatene inhaler with me (although I only use it once-in-a-blue-moon).

I went to the Army, Navy, and Marines and they all said the same thing. The Army recruiter did say that I could get past the "asthma requirement" if I didn't carry my inhaler and passed the physical requirement. At this time I did smoke cigarettes so I knew without my inhaler I wouldn't pass the physical. I have been smoke-free now for almost 90 days--- April 19th will be my 3 month anniversary!!!

Even though I quit smoking, I'm still not in the "best" of shape. But I know that with some regular exercise...I should definitely be okay to pass the physical requirement...I think!Wink I just want to know how "tough" the physical requirements REALLY are and based on the information provided...would you recommend that I even take this route under advisement or not?

I guess my question is...would it be worth it to join the Army Reserve to finish my Bachelors and Masters degrees? I could really use all the financial help I could get, plus I think it would be a nice bonus to add to my resume.

Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Marshall

yes, if u want a really easier time.. join the air force reserves, navy reserves, coast guard reserves, army national guard or air national guard. the free cleps, dantes, and ECE's can make it very worthwhile.
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
Marshall, you are my buddy but I have to step in here with my 2 cents. The benefits you mentioned are all valid but joining any branch of the service is a commitment to serve your country first. I was a Marine in Desert Shield and Desert Storm. On our base(I was an aircraft mechanic) we had an Air Guard unit from Reno on our base. It was mostly older guys and the little interactment I had, they were all bitching about having to go over seas and serve. Well no sh*&! That's what the job is, now more than ever! Reservist are all getting activated now so that is something you really have to be prepared for.

All of that being said, you should probably look into the Coast Guard reserve. They are probably the least likely to go over seas and back when I was in, by far the quickest to pick up rank.

Great job on quiting, keep up the good work,

Doug
Marshall,

I joined the Canadian Reserves as an officer candidate at the age of 50 and managed to get through the training and become a commisioned officer in the Royal Canadian Air Force. The others in my training group ranged in age from 19 to 25. I was in poor condition but, for various reasons, they had wanted me. I survived to everyone's surprise including me.

It was one of the toughest things I have ever done.

Afterwards they told me that there were two groups of paramedics sitting in vehicles nearby just waiting in case! They used regular vehicles because they thought ambulances would make me nervous!

Sidney
Thanks everyone for your insight.

Quote:
Marshall, you are my buddy but I have to step in here with my 2 cents. The benefits you mentioned are all valid but joining any branch of the service is a commitment to serve your country first

I knew someone was going to mention that!!!

Sorry DC...being in the military...I hope you or anyone else didn't take offense to what I said. The only reason I didn't mention that per se is because no matter what someone's reasons are for joining any branch of the military, you are going to "serve" your country regardless! Whether you like it or not. And I don't believe there are a whole lot of people who tell a recruiter that they want to join the military because they want to "serve" their country.

To clarify my point...I bet that if the military provided its members with nothing more than the basic necessities for the entire time they were enlisted as well as when their service ended (w/no benefits/perks)...we'd probably have a military the same size as the population of Newcastle, Wyoming!!!

As I stated earlier, I am just considering my options at the moment...that's all. I may not even go. I don't really think at this juncture of my life it's probably even feasible to go. I just moved into my own apartment this past February so I have rent to be paid and being in the reserves for $300 bucks a month really isn't going to cut it!!! I know that basic training is only for 8 weeks so it would only be temporary. I would just have to save fast and pay my landlord in advance for the that time. I do currently have a job (part-time) so i have to check with my employer about leaving for basic training should I decide to go. Basically...a lot of things would have to be squared away before I even make a decision.

I basically have to just weigh out all my options and weigh all the pros and cons. I was just trying to get some honest feedback from you all since I trust and value your feedback and opinions. I appreciate all of you.

DC...it's good to know that you haven't forgotten about your ole' pal!!! I was beginning to think you didn't love me anymore!!!Big Grin I pray that all is well with you and that you've been prospering in my absence! Plus...I didn't know that you were in the Marines---now I'm scared of you!!!hilarious

Thanks again to everybody who responded to this post. Your help is greatly appreciated. Also...to those of you military folks who viewed my post and didn't show me any love...you are ALL on my list!!!!!!!!hilarious (gotta have a sense of humor)!!!

Marshall
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
Enrolled in BA in Liberal Studies - 105/120 Completed

Associate in Science, Excelsior College
Marshall,

I am not offended at all. I just wanted to stress it is a big commitment, especially in today's world. If you set your mind to it, I am sure you will do fine. Just keep your great attitude!!

Doug
Go for it.
Jesse
BA, Thomas Edison State College
MS, Grand Canyon University
I 2nd Doug's opinion. Huge commitment, good chance you will see combat. If you want possible action in Afghanistan, then it might be a good thing, if not, I would pass. Also, at 28, your sort of domesticated, I believe you would have a harder time than many of the younger guys, not because of the physical side of it as much as just because you are probably into routines. That will change immediately, the first time you hear a trash can being thrown down the barracks deck at 0430. If they even still do that, but I'm sure the other "fun stuff" still happens. They own you, just know that. Based on your reasons for joining, Air Force reserve sounds like a better fit for you if you must join the military. Seriously, a BIG commitment at this stage of your life. Listen to Doug, he's full of good info:}
mlwilliamsiv Wrote:Thanks everyone for your insight.I don't believe there are a whole lot of people who tell a recruiter that they want to join the military because they want to "serve" their country

I did. When I hunted him down while he was eating at Taco Bell, I told him that "my forefathers spilled their blood for my liberty. They pledged their lives, fortunes, and sacred honour to make our nation free. I've alway felt like I needed to serve in the Marine Corps, and I don't want to have my grandchildren sitting on my lap in my ripe age and ask 'grandpa, what did you do in the war' and me just give a blank stare." We are out of touch with this war. Today's high schoolers aren't like the WWII generation were they felt like others were fighting in their place. Get my opinion of joining the military in the post "Marine Officer". I think most folks on here know what I think by now. Best wishes whatever you decide.
Southron Boy

CLEP: English Comp w/ essay, English Comp w/o essay, American Gov't, U.S. History I, A & I Lit, Humanities, Intro Sociology, Intro to Psyc, Human Growth & Development, Intro to Ed Psyc, Prin of Management, Prin of Marketing, Business Law

DSST: Technical Writing

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reserve: Tuition Assistance Info bjcheung77 0 1,161 12-24-2021, 05:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Army Tuition Aid Stalled Alpha 0 1,177 06-13-2021, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Army MLT - ASAST or BSAST at TESU? MLTtoMLS 11 4,484 01-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Army chaplain creditmonsoon 1 1,616 06-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Army Guard Officers tsimmns 2 1,308 12-31-2015, 10:51 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Army Staff and Management College heinleineken 1 1,722 05-21-2015, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Changes to Army TA defscarlett 2 1,243 02-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Last Post: perriquit
  Military Degree Completion at TESC (TA - Go Army Ed - Fees questions) Riley2012 3 1,146 09-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Last Post: dthom
  Army Aviation Warrant Officer transfer credits? gshelley61 9 6,821 10-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Last Post: gshelley61
  Army Humor CLEP101 9 1,956 04-23-2011, 06:08 AM
Last Post: MA2