Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
July 2018 current fees at the Big 3
(07-06-2018, 01:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 11:37 AM)sanantone Wrote: The comprehensive tuition plan covers all sources of credit. You only need 24 credits in online or guided study courses to receive a full financial aid award. The rest of the credits can come from TECEPs, e-Packs, and/or portfolio assessments.

Yes, the comprehensive plan is great for anyone who qualifies for financial aid, even if there are cheaper schools - because a large percentage is paid for, and it's 36cr rather than 30cr that you might take at another school.

For those who don't qualify, it's a good chunk of change to throw down, and as davewill says, life happens.  At least at a "regular" school with semesters, you're only paying for that semester at one time.  If something were to happen (car accident leaving you in the hospital, then several weeks of PT, then not really being 100% for another couple of months), the semester would be lost, but you could start fresh the next semester.  With TESU, you could lose several months of school time, but be out the full amount, and have to then restart everything, and try to cram more into less time.

But for someone who isn't doing a degree plan that can be tested out of, the comprehensive plan is a great way to save some money and take the courses you need for the degree.  It would just make me a bit nervous to gamble that much money at one time.

I don't know what their refund policy is for the comprehensive plan, but you can make three payments over a 6-month period.

I'd also like to note that taking 30 credits over two semesters is the norm, so taking 36 credits year-round is doable because it's similar to attending a traditional school during the summer.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(07-06-2018, 01:39 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 01:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 11:37 AM)sanantone Wrote: The comprehensive tuition plan covers all sources of credit. You only need 24 credits in online or guided study courses to receive a full financial aid award. The rest of the credits can come from TECEPs, e-Packs, and/or portfolio assessments.

Yes, the comprehensive plan is great for anyone who qualifies for financial aid, even if there are cheaper schools - because a large percentage is paid for, and it's 36cr rather than 30cr that you might take at another school.

For those who don't qualify, it's a good chunk of change to throw down, and as davewill says, life happens.  At least at a "regular" school with semesters, you're only paying for that semester at one time.  If something were to happen (car accident leaving you in the hospital, then several weeks of PT, then not really being 100% for another couple of months), the semester would be lost, but you could start fresh the next semester.  With TESU, you could lose several months of school time, but be out the full amount, and have to then restart everything, and try to cram more into less time.

But for someone who isn't doing a degree plan that can be tested out of, the comprehensive plan is a great way to save some money and take the courses you need for the degree.  It would just make me a bit nervous to gamble that much money at one time.

I don't know what their refund policy is for the comprehensive plan, but you can make three payments over a 6-month period.

I'd also like to note that taking 30 credits over two semesters is the norm, so taking 36 credits year-round is doable because it's similar to attending a traditional school during the summer.

I wonder about the refund policy as well.

I did think that the 36 in a year is probably what a FT student taking summer school courses might take.  I also like that you can stagger the TESU courses, so that you can work around downtime or busy seasons at a job, planned vacations, or just not having to take all of your finals at the same time.  It provides a lot more flexibility for the non-traditional student.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
We're all in general agreement, I think. It can be a good way to go if it works for you and you plan your courses carefully. Someone who just dives in because they think that will be easiest (kinda like I did) may end up spending more than they could have. I haven't really regretted it as it got me to the finish line, but I wasted part of my comprehensive year doing my PLA portfolios when I should have done everything else, then finished them afterward. It caused me to have to pay the capstone tuition separately, mostly because I didn't simply didn't know I could have taken it sooner. Also, I was very unsure of the PLA process and not knowing was kind of eating at my soul. Wink

I wasn't active here while I actually did it, so I winged it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Hi, I have a question - if I am doing the TESU ASBA, there is no cornerstone or capstone, correct? So the fees would be the same but without that capstone tuition?

Application fee $75
Residency waiver $1800
Graduation fee $332

ASBA is one of a few that doesn’t have a Capstone, there IS a Cornerstone for all degrees from Associate to Bachelors. The only options to waive the Cornerstone is to get the Study.com affiliate pricing by taking a course or two and transfer them in OR to transfer in 104+ credits.
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
(07-07-2018, 12:50 AM)Mab81 Wrote: Hi, I have a question - if I am doing the TESU ASBA, there is no cornerstone or capstone, correct? So the fees would be the same but without that capstone tuition?

Application fee $75
Residency waiver $1800
Graduation fee $332

The ASBA still has a cornerstone, it's just not listed on the website.  ALL degrees have the cornerstone.

I'm not sure why TESU doesn't have someone go through and update all of their degrees to make sure the cornerstone is on there, but they haven't.  They really should.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Excelsior has a StraighterLine partnership which brings down tuition by $100 a credit. It also brings the graduation fee down to $130 meaning you save $600 of the price it projects of $3275. That would make it $1000 cheaper than TESU if I’m not mistaken, paying for the necessary UL credits. Because I have 7 shmoop courses completed I’m looking at excelsior as TESU no longer accepts them.
(07-14-2018, 10:26 PM)Cdn-backpacker Wrote: Excelsior has a StraighterLine partnership which brings down tuition by $100 a credit. It also brings the graduation fee down to $130 meaning you save $600 of the price it projects of $3275. That would make it $1000 cheaper than TESU if I’m not mistaken, paying for the necessary UL credits. Because I have 7 shmoop courses completed I’m looking at excelsior as TESU no longer accepts them.
So what will be the total cost per course at Excelsior then? How much SL credits are needed? You have any links?
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(07-14-2018, 10:26 PM)Cdn-backpacker Wrote: Excelsior has a StraighterLine partnership which brings down tuition by $100 a credit. It also brings the graduation fee down to $130 meaning you save $600 of the price it projects of $3275. That would make it $1000 cheaper than TESU if I’m not mistaken, paying for the necessary UL credits. Because I have 7 shmoop courses completed I’m looking at excelsior as TESU no longer accepts them.

Nope.  Excelsior partner pricing comes with a caveat: 

*The Enrollment and Graduation Fees revert to the non-partner rate if the student does not complete a minimum of twelve (12) Excelsior College online course credits prior to completion of a degree program.

So, the price for Excelsior does not change from my original post.
(07-07-2018, 01:44 AM)Lewis.Yim Wrote: ASBA is one of a few that doesn’t have a Capstone, there IS a Cornerstone for all degrees from Associate to Bachelors. The only options to waive the Cornerstone is to get the Study.com affiliate pricing by taking a course or two and transfer them in OR to transfer in 104+ credits.

Just taking classes at Study.com now isn’t enough to waive the cornerstone anymore. I just got this email from TESU:

“As of July 1st TES-100 is only waived for Study.com Working Scholars, Nursing Students, and/or those that have 104 or more credits on their initial Academic Evaluation. Those that have Study.com or any corporate code added after July 1st will need to take TES-100.”

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

[-] The following 1 user Likes Mab81's post:
  • Zippadeedoodah

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question TESU - current status "Applicant" - how to change to "Enrolled?" Kelly Green 3 2,049 09-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TESU BALS 2018 - All Online seaweedhead 5 2,908 08-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
Exclamation 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! Mikele8 10 2,922 08-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,082 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Post-June 2018 TESU prices? Pelican 1 1,327 07-30-2018, 11:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,976 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,256 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
  2018 Commencement lmckown 10 2,619 07-02-2018, 08:20 PM
Last Post: 1thomasP
  Congrats to TESU June 2018 Graduates! dfrecore 16 3,109 06-12-2018, 12:46 PM
  Age waiver denied from TESU. Policy changed Jan. 1, 2018 stampbuyme 61 11,566 05-31-2018, 08:05 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life