Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Accepted To TESU w/ASA Degree (80 Credits Transferred) Cheapest Route To Finish?
I have just been accepted to TESU and am ready to buckle down and finish up my BA in Liberal Studies.  All 80 of my credits that I accrued during my ASA degree completion were credited to the BALS degree program so this is the route I will go.  With that being said, I am looking for any direction and insight as to how I can go about finishing this degree the quickest and cheapest route.  I have looked in to TECEP's and it seems that I wont be able to use many of these due to the Upper Level nature of courses still needed.  A breakdown of what I currently have fulfilled and what is still needed is below.  I will need to achieve 30 credit hours at TESU in order to be awarded a BA.  Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated!

BA Gen Ed (Earned: 39; Required: 45)

A. INTEL & PRAC SKILLS
Writing I (3 CR)
Writing II (3 CR)
Bas Public Speaking (3 CR)
Interm Algebra (3 CR)
*Needed: SOS-110 Through TESU (3 CR)*

B. CIV & GLOBAL LEADERSHIP
Intro to Intercultural Comm (3 CR)
Ethics (3 CR)
*Needed: POS-282 TECEP (3 CR)*

C. KNOWLEDGE HUMAN CULTURES
Lands & People NonWest (3 CR)
History of US Since 1865 (3 CR)
Intro to Logic (3 CR)
Gen Psychology (3 CR)
Princ of Macroeconomics (3 CR)

D. SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE
Human Ecology (3 CR)
Computer Literacy (3 CR)

Liberal Studies Upper Level (Earned: 0; Required: 15)
*Needed: All Upper Level (15 CR)*

Liberal Studies Lower Level (Earned: 12; Required: 27)

Intro to Statistical Reasoning (3 CR)
Intro to American Ed (3 CR)
Intro to Computers (3 CR)
College Algebra (3 CR)
*Needed: (15 CR)*

Liberal Arts Capstone (Earned: 0; Required: 3)
*Needed: LIB-495 Through TESU (3 CR)

Electives (Earned: 29; Required: 30)

Fund of Accounting (3 CR)
Financial Acct (3 CR)
Intro to Criminal Justice (3 CR)
Econ I (3 CR)
Intro to Lit (3 CR)
Med Terminology (3 CR)
Intro to Biology (3 CR)
Elementary Spanish (4 CR)
Intro to Bio Lab (1 CR)
History US Through 1865 (3 CR)
*Needed: (1 CR)*
Have you done any "What if" for other degrees? Because of how many UL & LL AOS credits are needed, several other degrees should require roughly the same amount of credits/classes.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Hey OP, just to let you know, TESU only requires 6 credits through them, the cornerstone and capstone, you can take 16 credits for residency and waive the residency fee if you want to go that route. Otherwise, you can complete the bulk of your remaining credits through the combo of Sophia.org for lower level and Study.com for upper level.

At this point in time, I would recommend you to take some time to review your credits and the WIKI page here, it has all the details in regards to the required general education and BALS or other degree programs that may interest you. Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • shudson0042
(03-15-2023, 04:02 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Have you done any "What if" for other degrees? Because of how many UL & LL AOS credits are needed, several other degrees should require roughly the same amount of credits/classes.

I haven't looked in to other possible degree options, I suppose I could do some more digging!  I'm not too terribly picky so since all 80 of my previous credits translated to the Liberal Arts BA I was more than happy to go this route.  Do you have any suggestions as to BA options that might suit someone in my situation better?

(03-15-2023, 04:07 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey OP, just to let you know, TESU only requires 6 credits through them, the cornerstone and capstone, you can take 16 credits for residency and waive the residency fee if you want to go that route.  Otherwise, you can complete the bulk of your remaining credits through the combo of Sophia.org for lower level and Study.com for upper level.

At this point in time, I would recommend you to take some time to review your credits and the WIKI page here, it has all the details in regards to the required general education and BALS or other degree programs that may interest you.  Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap
This is very good news!  When speaking with admissions they prompted me by saying I had to have 30 credit hours from TESU in order to graduate and be awarded a BA degree from their institution.  My course map didn't show a "cornerstone" course however it did have the capstone.  I would presume that the required SOS course is this cornerstone credit?  Do you recommend Sophia.org and Study.com over the TECEPS @ 16 credits through TESU in terms of cost savings?  Another drawback to pushing forward with the TECEPS is that I was told I can only schedule a certain number of courses per semester.  Thus not allowing me to move at my own pace and finish the degree quicker.  Do Sophia.org and Study.com allow for self paced learning?  So as to finish as many courses as you are able in whatever time frame you see fit.
What do you WANT to do? Almost nothing actually transferred into the AOS, so you'd be approximately equal with most other BA degrees. If you'd prefer History or English, for instance, it'd likely be faster, easier, and cheaper to finish one of those degrees than a BALS where maybe you're not as thrilled about the available classes.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
You can log into student services, and from there you can try your credits in different degrees. The automated tool isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. A business degree would probably also fit your credits pretty well. The question will be what kind of classes would you enjoy taking...or what degree would help your career the most. From what I can see, you have almost NO upper level credits, so whichever degree you pick will have about the same amount of work to do.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • shudson0042
shudson0042 Wrote:This is very good news!  When speaking with admissions they prompted me by saying I had to have 30 credit hours from TESU in order to graduate and be awarded a BA degree from their institution.  My course map didn't show a "cornerstone" course however it did have the capstone.  I would presume that the required SOS course is this cornerstone credit? 

Do you recommend Sophia.org and Study.com over the TECEPS @ 16 credits through TESU in terms of cost savings?  Another drawback to pushing forward with the TECEPS is that I was told I can only schedule a certain number of courses per semester.  Thus not allowing me to move at my own pace and finish the degree quicker.  Do Sophia.org and Study.com allow for self paced learning?  So as to finish as many courses as you are able in whatever time frame you see fit.

SOS 110 is the Cornerstone.  TECEP's can't be used for residency unless you're an active service person (army/military, navy, etc). Here are a few links to review, it'll tell you everything you need to know about the 16 credits vs the residency waiver fee and options to go about it.  Basically, it depends on what your energy, money, time, subject interest and level of knowledge is in that/those subjects.  I would take some time to read through these links:

Courses vs Residency Waiver #1: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ng-Courses
16 Credits vs Residency Waiver #2: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Waiver-Fee
ACTFL/Foreign Credits: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...r-to-Big-3
Transfer Policy: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Explained

BTW, you missed the template and last post addendum here: New to DegreeForum? How this Area works! | I usually recommend people to fill in all the info so it gives us a clearer picture of what exactly you're looking for and with these details it provides us a better overview of your goals, it helps us determine how we can best help you as each person has a different situation or scenario...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • shudson0042
TESU advising is terrible, so I'd advise you to skip that and stick with planning and finishing your degree with help from this forum.

*Needed: SOS-110 Through TESU (3 CR)* - this is the cornerstone

*Needed: POS-282 TECEP (3 CR)* - take Intro to Comparative Politics at Study.com

*Needed: All Upper Level (15 CR)* - You can take a variety of courses at Study.com or Coopersmith to earn these credits

*Needed: (15 CR)* - use Sophia, and make sure they are considered 200-level rather than 100-level (TESU has a transfer guide on Sophia's website)

*Needed: (1 CR)* - take a 1cr course at Sophia
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • shudson0042
The Sophia/TESU equivalency list no longer exists on Sophia's website. I just double-checked to confirm it hasn't returned. But we do have one on the wiki. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • shudson0042
(03-15-2023, 05:13 PM)davewill Wrote: You can log into student services, and from there you can try your credits in different degrees. The automated tool isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. A business degree would probably also fit your credits pretty well. The question will be what kind of classes would you enjoy taking...or what degree would help your career the most. From what I can see, you have almost NO upper level credits, so whichever degree you pick will have about the same amount of work to do.

Thank you Dave!  I believe I will enjoy the Liberal Studies courses the most.

(03-16-2023, 01:54 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU advising is terrible, so I'd advise you to skip that and stick with planning and finishing your degree with help from this forum.

*Needed: SOS-110 Through TESU (3 CR)* - this is the cornerstone

*Needed: POS-282 TECEP (3 CR)* - take Intro to Comparative Politics at Study.com

*Needed: All Upper Level (15 CR)* - You can take a variety of courses at Study.com or Coopersmith to earn these credits

*Needed: (15 CR)* - use Sophia, and make sure they are considered 200-level rather than 100-level (TESU has a transfer guide on Sophia's website)

*Needed: (1 CR)* - take a 1cr course at Sophia

This is EXTREMELY helpful.  Knowing now that I only am required to take the cornerstone and capstone courses (6 CR) at TESU in order to be awarded a BA from their institution makes the cost and time frame to completion much less daunting.  I mentioned above, but I was told that a total of 30 CR had to be obtained at TESU in order to get a BA degree.  It seems that the admissions dept. is not on the same page.

(03-15-2023, 03:46 PM)shudson0042 Wrote: I have just been accepted to TESU and am ready to buckle down and finish up my BA in Liberal Studies.  All 80 of my credits that I accrued during my ASA degree completion were credited to the BALS degree program so this is the route I will go.  With that being said, I am looking for any direction and insight as to how I can go about finishing this degree the quickest and cheapest route.  I have looked in to TECEP's and it seems that I wont be able to use many of these due to the Upper Level nature of courses still needed.  A breakdown of what I currently have fulfilled and what is still needed is below.  I will need to achieve 30 credit hours at TESU in order to be awarded a BA.  Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated!

BA Gen Ed (Earned: 39; Required: 45)

A. INTEL & PRAC SKILLS
Writing I (3 CR)
Writing II (3 CR)
Bas Public Speaking (3 CR)
Interm Algebra (3 CR)
*Needed: SOS-110 Through TESU (3 CR)*

Intro to Intercultural Comm (3 CR)
Ethics (3 CR)
*Needed: POS-282 TECEP (3 CR)*

C. KNOWLEDGE HUMAN CULTURES
Lands & People NonWest (3 CR)
History of US Since 1865 (3 CR)
Intro to Logic (3 CR)
Gen Psychology (3 CR)
Princ of Macroeconomics (3 CR)

D. SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE
Human Ecology (3 CR)
Computer Literacy (3 CR)

*Needed: All Upper Level (15 CR)*

Intro to Statistical Reasoning (3 CR)
Intro to American Ed (3 CR)
Intro to Computers (3 CR)
College Algebra (3 CR)
*Needed: (15 CR)*

Liberal Arts Capstone (Earned: 0; Required: 3)
*Needed: LIB-495 Through TESU (3 CR)

Fund of Accounting (3 CR)
Financial Acct (3 CR)
Intro to Criminal Justice (3 CR)
Econ I (3 CR)
Intro to Lit (3 CR)
Med Terminology (3 CR)
Intro to Biology (3 CR)
Elementary Spanish (4 CR)
Intro to Bio Lab (1 CR)
History US Through 1865 (3 CR)
*Needed: (1 CR)*

Degree Seeking: Fastest Route BA
Budget: As Cheap As Possible (I am saving to attend flight school in January 2024)
Commitments: Just work.  I am in medical device sales, so some weekdays I am off after surgery by noon and other days I am off later in the afternoon (3-4 PM). Never work weekends.
Dedicated Time to Study: I am able to study several hours every weekday along with majority of my weekends being able to study the entirety of the day.
Timeline: In an ideal world, I would like to have this degree finished by the time I am enrolling in flight school (January 2024).  So roughly 9 months.
Tuition Assistance/Reimbursement: My company does offer tuition reimbursement, however you must stay employed with the company for a year following payments.  So I will not be able to utilize this

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 22 248 15 minutes ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 113 4 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 260 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,846 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 558 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 285 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Seeking Guidance on beginning degree BeginAgain_1980 9 238 03-20-2024, 04:13 PM