Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KCTCS - everythng you need to know
Hi everyone, this place is great and thanks to the help here I finished my finance and CIS degree at TESC. From 80 credits over 20 years, to completing a dual BSBA degree in less than 6 months.
So…it is time to give back, I guinea-pigged myself at KCTCS online and this is everything you need to know about their on-demand system.

What is KCTCS?
Kentucky Community & Technical College System. - KCTCS is a network of community colleges in Kentucky that all participate in the on demand course system. KCTCS is not ACE approved however it is a regionally accredited community college so credits transfer as CC classes.
KCTCS Online
classes on demand:
Skills, careers, and programs >> KCTCS Online

Enrollment
Enrollment was simple it took about 15 minutes to enroll and there was no cost. I skipped all the detailed academic history questions and only stated that I graduated high school in 1991 and where. In hind sight, I would have indicated I was a guest student from TESC since there is no way I can find to add it. When you enroll you must indicate which Kentucky College is your home base. This is where you are enrolled. I choose Jefferson technical college. I don’t know if it actually matters. Remember this since you will need it when you get classes approved at TESC. I had an acceptance email within 15 minutes with instructions on how to create a self service account.

Class enrollment
You MUST watch the “enrolling in classes” video on this page Tutorials. Figuring out their enrollment system without this video is next to impossible and I almost gave up before I saw it. Once you watch the video, it is actually simple and straight forward.
If you get a “pre-req not met” error, that’s ok. Submit a help ticket asking for an exception and attach any supporting documents that you qualify. They usually approve it within 24 hours. Alternatively, you can call the on demand help line and they will help. I will say that the on demand help was very pleasant and easy to work with. Through a detailed email request and a few phone calls, I was able to bypass one major pre-req.

2 ways to enroll in classes

1. Parent classes (CIS120 for example) These are whole classes that are broken down into 5-6 modular units. If you intend to work quickly I suggest this method. The typical modular unit takes 1-3 days based on my experience. Meaning you can knock out a class in 7-10 days similar to SL. Cost – around $500 for 3 credits all in, Ebooks provided in the course content. This method will give you a grade to transfer.
  2. Modular classes. (CIS1201 for example) these are similar to the parent class except that the modules are broken apart and you enroll and pay individually. This method is nice if you want to pay as you go and makes sense if you want to take your time. You must finish the current module before moving to the next one. This is a major annoyance if you move fast. Finish means your instructor graded the module and posed your grade to the system. I have this down to a system, but it is still a 2 day process. Here is my system – 1. Finish the module. 2 email the instructor that you are done and ask for grading. 3. Check the system regularly to verify grade is posted to the “self service” system. Take a screen shot. 4. Submit an on demand ticket asking for approval to start the next module (CIS1202 for example). Keep checking the ticket system to see approval. 5 enroll and pay for the new module. I will say that so far the instructors and help system have been very attentive. Most of the time requests are handled in 24hrs. a number of times the instructor graded my module after at 10pm request. Each module is .6 credit hr. so if you take all 5 you get full credit for the course. Your transcript will list your grade for each module and then list the parent course as a “P” for completing the set. When I know how TESC processes this I will let you know. Cost for modular on demand classes – about $100 per module Ebook included. In the end it is the same cost as the parent class.
The format
The format is very similar to SL with one nice twist, the pre-test. You are given the opportunity to test out of the module. This is a 30-50 question un-proctored multiple choice test. None of the module is accessible at this time and if you get a 90% or better, you can skip all content and go straight to the final. The final is not proctored and almost identical (same question pool) to the pre-test. If you score a 90% on that, grats you are done, seek approval for the next module. So far I tested out of 1 module it took about an hour.
If you don’t pass the pre-test, the content of the first unit opens. Most units consist of an ebook, a pre-test and a unit final test. Most modules have 1-3 units. The next unit only opens after you get 80% on the unit final.
Most modules have assignments or projects that need to be completed and count toward your grade. In one unit I had to do all the end of chapter exercises in the eBook and upload the answers. In another unit, they gave me a copy of Visio 07 and I had to create a flow chart and upload the file. Most assignments have taken me 1-2 hours. Most modules have discussions as part of the module but most are not required as part of the grade. I did have one module that required discussion forum participation as part of the grade, but it took less than 5 minutes to respond to the questions. I recommend checking the final grade button on the grades page. It will tell you what factors into the final grade.
Once you complete all the units, the final exam unlocks. Again, this is similar (same question pool) to your first pre-test and each of the unit tests taken and is un-proctored. You need to get an 80% to pass and you have up to 3 attempts and they use your best score
In the end most modules took me 4-6 hours and the system is surprisingly effective.

TESC info
When you email your advisor at TESC you will want to refer to the class at your home college, regardless of what college the module was actually taken at. For example I took CIS120 which was provided by Hazard college. But when asking TESC, I refered to CIS120 at KCTCS - Jefferson community college. Your transcript will be sent from the home college you selected at enrollment. I used KCTCS for my CIS electives. Here is what I am taking and how TESC approved them:
CIS 120 - Program Design and Development, TESC CIS-320 system analysis and design
NIS 213 - Administering Microsoft Windows Server 08, TESC CIS CAP-299 elective
IT 170 - Introduction to Database Design, TESC CIS-311 elective

Bonuses
you get a kctcs.edu email address. Go get amazon prime student free for 6 months.
If you take cis/it/nis courses, they give you a DreamSpark account with access to a lot of free Microsoft software.

Conclusion
in the end, the system is good if you want a self-paced system like SL. $500 per class isn’t all that great, but if you do a module each week or 2 you can spread out the cost. And with CIS electives your choices are limited and this is a great way to go.

57 credits in 5 months
BSBA Finance- 42 credits
BSBA CIS - 15
Plan to Graduate in June

Straighterline
Accounting II | Anatomy I | Anatomy II | Business statistics | Biology | Business Communications

DSST
Intro to computing - 459 | Intro to world religion - 51 | Business Ethics & Society - 442 | Principals of finances - 449 | Money and Banking - 57 | Management Info Systems - 445

CLEP
Principals of marketing - 65 | Principals of management - 63

TECEP
Business Policy - Passed | Network Technology - dropped

KCTCS
CIS 120 Program Design and Development - A | NIS 213 - Administering Microsoft Windows Server - A | IT170 Database Design - A | NIS160 - Network Technology - A
[-] The following 2 users Like ternzer's post:
  • lucillegyl, Seraphgrim
Thanks very much for this; I've been eyeing two of those courses myself. They're next on my list.

What course number did TESC assign IT 170? I'm currently enrolled in TESC's CIS-311 and don't want to risk a duplication.

Thanks again!
Sandy

TESC, AAS in Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies, 2012
TESC, BA Plain Vanilla Liberal Studies, 2012 Smile
yes they do have it170 as cis-311 on my evaluation.

57 credits in 5 months
BSBA Finance- 42 credits
BSBA CIS - 15
Plan to Graduate in June

Straighterline
Accounting II | Anatomy I | Anatomy II | Business statistics | Biology | Business Communications

DSST
Intro to computing - 459 | Intro to world religion - 51 | Business Ethics & Society - 442 | Principals of finances - 449 | Money and Banking - 57 | Management Info Systems - 445

CLEP

TECEP

KCTCS
CIS 120 Program Design and Development - A | NIS 213 - Administering Microsoft Windows Server - A | IT170 Database Design - A | NIS160 - Network Technology - A
Wow! The cost is a little more but this is a good way to get credits that will be CC on your transcript instead of just "ACE Assessment". I'm going to take a couple of these instead of Penn Foster courses. Thanks!!!
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
Thanks for the information - based on what you've provided, I am considering KCTCS for a couple of classes myself. These types of posts make this website truly invaluable. Thanks again.
darn, the edit button is gone...
update, i am pushing hard for june tesc graduation, so i am cutting it close on these last 2 courses. I guess the good part is the crash course in kctcs is giving me all kinds of info to share.

With the 2 courses i just took, i had bugs in the blackboard system that kept me from moving forward. the instructor and tech support were both very fast in fixing the problem. although a current glitch is keeping them from posting the final grade of one class.
I thought i would mention that when you take the parent course, the modules still have the availability to test out of that material. so far i had only tested out of 1 module. the whole system is very comparable to SL. take the pretest, read the chapter(s) take a quiz for each chapter. then a final. i finished the last class in about 16 hours, which is about the same as the SL courses i took.
one annoyance is that since all courses have pre-reqs of some sort, approval needs to be granted for each course. i am currently waiting for approval on 2 classes and was hoping to enroll this evening. if it is done by midnight the course activates in blackboard early the next morning.
so what i am saying is don't be surprised if you hit a few technical bumps along the way. but don't worry, i haven't had one problem that they haven't fixed in 24hr.

57 credits in 5 months
BSBA Finance- 42 credits
BSBA CIS - 15
Plan to Graduate in June

Straighterline

DSST

CLEP

TECEP

KCTCS
This is a great post...thanks!
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I got my AAS degree at Henderson Community College in 1994 which is part of the KCTCS system. However, when I went there it was (along with all of the other KCTCS schools) part of the University of Kentucky. I would imagine that the separation did not change much of their structure, hence a quality education. JMHO
Next Goal - MS in Pharmacy, Major Pharmaceutical Sciences, concentration Forensic Science via University of Florida
BSAST Health Services Technology 2012
AA General Ed 2012
AAS Medical Laboratory Technician HCC 1994

Straighterline Courses
English Comp I
A&P II
Medical Terminology
Intro to Biology
Statistics
Managerial Accounting
Earned 127, currently enrolled at TESC working on last 6 credits in order to graduate by 6/2012!!
Are all of their courses non-proctored?
looks like military TA won't cover all the costs!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  KCTCS Learn on Demand registration change UptonSinclair 3 856 03-28-2015, 05:19 PM
Last Post: UptonSinclair
  KCTCS Avoid PHY171 UptonSinclair 12 1,465 12-03-2013, 12:50 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  KCTCS Learn on Demand - Overall experience UptonSinclair 0 777 11-17-2013, 08:22 PM
  KCTCS Learn on Demand - Latest Gripe UptonSinclair 1 565 11-17-2013, 06:33 PM
  Kctcs - eng102 UptonSinclair 5 964 11-10-2013, 03:26 AM
  Kctcs - no refund after first day UptonSinclair 2 689 11-07-2013, 06:29 PM
  Just Started KCTCS CIT-111 Computer Hardware and Software - Review So Far UptonSinclair 0 985 09-21-2013, 12:46 AM
  KCTCS - Letter of Good Standing UptonSinclair 11 1,661 09-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Getting KCTCS Prerequisties Waived bluk30 2 738 02-04-2013, 03:59 AM
Last Post: bluk30
  KCTCS & TESC Module Transfer freedegreefree 0 510 09-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Last Post: freedegreefree