Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kaplan LRC 100 PLA
Hrm, the plot thickens...

(I'm beginning to think that my above explanation is pretty close)

Quote:From: "OpenCollege Advising" <opencollegeadvising@kaplan.edu>
Date: Feb 13, 2017 7:56 AM
Subject: Re: ACE CREDIT Course Approval Request Result

Hi [jsd],

We are unable to answer this since our contract was terminated. You will be to contact ACE with any concerns regarding this issue.

Open College at Kaplan University
6301 Kaplan University Ave, Ft Lauderdale, FL 33309
main 855-791-7106 | efax 800-472-3576
http://www.opencollege.kaplan.com

Still awaiting word from ACE...
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:Hrm, the plot thickens...

Quote:We are unable to answer this since our contract was terminated.

Still awaiting word from ACE...

Yes, appears your guess was pretty close. I think this brings up an ethics question for ACE however. We are utilizing their services in good faith, and all approved credit should remain on a transcript as previously posted, even if there is no longer a partnership between ACE & whatever credit-grantor.

For instance, what if they suddenly sever their partnership with ACPE or Sophia/Study? Will a student's "college credit" suddenly disappear?

I'm not worried about SL as they send transcripts directly to schools as requested, but even then, if the partnership is severed, the student is left scrambling to see if the company has a NCCRS partnership, or all of their alternative credit is *poof* lost...?
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Mamasaphire Wrote:Yes, appears your guess was pretty close. I think this brings up an ethics question for ACE however. We are utilizing their services in good faith, and all approved credit should remain on a transcript as previously posted, even if there is no longer a partnership between ACE & whatever credit-grantor.

For instance, what if they suddenly sever their partnership with ACPE or Sophia/Study? Will a student's "college credit" suddenly disappear?

I'm not worried about SL as they send transcripts directly to schools as requested, but even then, if the partnership is severed, the student is left scrambling to see if the company has a NCCRS partnership, or all of their alternative credit is *poof* lost...?

Like I said in my post, my credits from a company that is no longer affiliated with ACE are still on my ACE transcript, and I had no problems getting those courses onto my ACE transcript AFTER the company stopped affiliation. The company talked directly with ACE when I called to make the request, the credits were on there in a couple of days. So that is not what's going on here, or else those credits would never have shown up on my ACE account 6 years ago. Or would not still be on there.

There is something else going on here.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Like I said in my post, my credits from a company that is no longer affiliated with ACE are still on my ACE transcript, and I had no problems getting those courses onto my ACE transcript AFTER the company stopped affiliation. The company talked directly with ACE when I called to make the request, the credits were on there in a couple of days. So that is not what's going on here, or else those credits would never have shown up on my ACE account 6 years ago. Or would not still be on there.

There is something else going on here.

Right!

Something similar (but not exactly the same) happened with my DSST credits... I added my CLEP & DSST. The CLEP was approved by the College Board. The DSST was approved, and then it suddenly was back in the Pending category -- where it has REMAINED taking up space since end of June 2015. When I called ACE & asked about it, I was told something along the lines of there being some kind of disagreement between Prometric and ACE, and that they were not authorized to discuss it. And the request is still pending for me :p

The good thing about DSST & CLEP is that whether or not they are getting along with ACE, the credits should remain valid.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Received a reply, as I'm sure others have/will as well:

Quote:Due to an executive agreement between both Kaplan and ACE, we are no longer recommending credit for Kaplan University’s Open Learning: Documenting Your Experiences for College Credit: Learning Recognition Course. The reason for the stems from changes within admission and credit policy, and as such, it has been applies retroactively. Regardless of completion dates, we cannot offer recommendation unless Kaplan University approaches us to re-review, and recommend a new credit criteria. Our apologies for this setback.

This appears, IMO, to set a bad precedent for the future.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

My reply to them wasn't the most friendly
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Mamasaphire Wrote:Received a reply, as I'm sure others have/will as well:

ACE is not 100% safe then for storing credits, because they can disappear should any policy changes happen in the future.
ACE reviewed the course at the time and deemed it ok for credit. It is unfair to take away credits because the course doesn't meet new standards, surely the credits should still apply for the courses original time period.
TESU: Capstone completed Big Grin
Study.com: Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction (6)
Patten: Academic Strategies, Child Growth and Development, Reading, Writing, and Research, Social Psych, Lifespan Development, American Government (18)
Shmoop: Drugs in Lit, Holocaust Lit, Poetry, Lit in the Media, Modernist Lit, Shakespeare's Plays, Western Lit, Women's Lit, British Lit, Euro History (30)
SL: Cultural Anthropology, English Comp I, English Comp II, Biology, Intro Comm, Environmental Science, Philosophy, C++,  Religion (27)
TEEX: Cyber Security for Business Professionals, Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for IT Professionals (6)
Sophia: Art History, Psychology, Sociology, Visual Comm, Dev Teams  (13)
ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry (15)
NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators (2)
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences (3)
ACTFL: Reading Proficiency Test (6)
CPCU: Ethics (2)
Mamasaphire Wrote:Received a reply, as I'm sure others have/will as well:

I received the same, and the PLA is no longer listed
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down
jsd Wrote:My reply to them wasn't the most friendly

Good for you!
I'm not sure exactly what I want to say, so haven't replied yet.

This type of move would seem liable to eventually lower their credibility in the eyes of colleges/universities... but I could be wrong.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

socsci Wrote:ACE is not 100% safe then for storing credits, because they can disappear should any policy changes happen in the future.
ACE reviewed the course at the time and deemed it ok for credit. It is unfair to take away credits because the course doesn't meet new standards, surely the credits should still apply for the courses original time period.

Especially after being valid for almost three years! Another reason to get ACE transcripts sent over as soon as each course is approved, which I started doing anyway after "losing" all my FEMA credits.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kaplan PLA LRC100 still free? Faceparade 6 1,691 08-09-2018, 03:50 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Comes Through on Kaplan - For Me At Least Old Guy 8 1,364 03-10-2017, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Mamasaphire
  Kaplan Documenting Your Experiences for College Credit Photog 81 8,330 03-01-2017, 02:06 AM
Last Post: inf
  Kaplan and Rasmussen's Competency-Based Programs Approved sanantone 5 1,530 07-26-2016, 07:47 PM
Last Post: KayV
  Open College @ Kaplan University PR !!! futuremrsmlb 8 1,854 06-03-2016, 08:04 AM
Last Post: futuremrsmlb
  No more Kaplan OpenCollege free credits / NFA Q318 Nightmoves5 7 1,407 05-16-2016, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Nightmoves5
  Kaplan Open College High_Order1 9 1,484 03-23-2016, 11:33 AM
  Open College @ Kaplan University futuremrsmlb 0 762 01-01-2016, 07:20 PM
  Switching Gears from Excelsior BLS to Kaplan University Open College futuremrsmlb 5 1,039 12-12-2015, 11:22 AM
  B.S. in Business Administration from Kaplan- Please Help and Thank You onlinestudent101 9 1,045 08-26-2015, 08:24 PM
Last Post: cookderosa