Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LIB-495: wish me luck
Well, after two years of lurking around this forum, I am finally registered and starting the February 4th LIB-495 Capstone Online format at Thomas Edison.  (Thank you TESU for waiving the late registration fee Big Grin )

I will have Ralph Argen as a mentor.  I have heard little about him, so I hope he is a good one. 

I am trying to cram this in with enough time to make June Graduation.  I know that the application deadline is April 1, and this course ends late April.  I have everything else done, but the Capstone. I have heard of others that have applied for graduation during the month in which the Captsone completed, and they still made graduation due to the time it takes to analyze the application.  Hope it works for me.

If not, I will be forced to pay another Residency Waiver if I have to go September graduation, as I am still within the one year waiver period from getting my ASNSM.  

I need some emotional support, folks. Wink
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

February is perfectly fine for June graduation. See the official page to verify: https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/gr...nformation

It is simply not true that all credits have to be done by the graduation application cutoff date. Be sure to apply for graduation a week or so early just to be sure you aren't caught with any website glitches or other issues. Don't worry if you have missing credits, they can be arrive as late as mid-May if need be.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • ChilliDawg
As long as you apply by April 1 you can make June graduation, I am in the same boat. Not looking forward to starting this course, but I have dragged my feet for the past month.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(01-29-2019, 12:54 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: As long as you apply by April 1 you can make June graduation, I am in the same boat. Not looking forward to starting this course, but I have dragged my feet for the past month.

If you want to bounce ideas off of each other and work together on peer feedback, it would be good with me.  We have different instructors, but our timeline will be the same. I would welcome feedback from a peer, throughout the process.
B.A.L.S 2019 
Pierpont College

(01-29-2019, 12:56 PM)ChilliDawg Wrote:
(01-29-2019, 12:54 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: As long as you apply by April 1 you can make June graduation, I am in the same boat. Not looking forward to starting this course, but I have dragged my feet for the past month.

If you want to bounce ideas off of each other and work together on peer feedback, it would be good with me.  We have different instructors, but our timeline will be the same. I would welcome feedback from a peer, throughout the process.

Definitely up for it
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(01-29-2019, 12:40 PM)ChilliDawg Wrote: Well, after two years of lurking around this forum, I am finally registered and starting the February 4th LIB-495 Capstone Online format at Thomas Edison.  (Thank you TESU for waiving the late registration fee Big Grin )

I will have Ralph Argen as a mentor.  I have heard little about him, so I hope he is a good one. 

I am trying to cram this in with enough time to make June Graduation.  I know that the application deadline is April 1, and this course ends late April.  I have everything else done, but the Capstone. I have heard of others that have applied for graduation during the month in which the Captsone completed, and they still made graduation due to the time it takes to analyze the application.  Hope it works for me.

If not, I will be forced to pay another Residency Waiver if I have to go September graduation, as I am still within the one year waiver period from getting my ASNSM.  

I need some emotional support, folks. Wink

There is a lot of information here from others including myself. Your citations and formatting are key. MLA is what I used, however, your mentor may prefer others. When researching books and papers make sure to take notes and write down the page for where your quotes or information comes from. Try to get a little ahead so you have time later on to create the longer chapters and to combine them.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
[-] The following 1 user Likes vetvso's post:
  • ChilliDawg
(01-29-2019, 12:53 PM)davewill Wrote: [...]

It is simply not true that all credits have to be done by the graduation application cutoff date. Be sure to apply for graduation a week or so early just to be sure you aren't caught with any website glitches or other issues. Don't worry if you have missing credits, they can be arrive as late as mid-May if need be.

TESU requests that all courses be completed before the application deadline, and yes they will accept transfer courses later. However, delaying until mid-May for a June graduation would be pushing the limits. If you're going to be that late, I'd recommend coordination with advising to make sure they know that credits are incoming, and when. Also, keep in mind that it takes a while to get transcripts evaluated once they arrive. Yes, they will prioritize people who have applied for graduation, but it could still take a while.

I believe the timing on this may also depend on when the degree audits are completed. If all the required courses do not yet appear on your transcript when your degree audit occurs, that could bump you to the next graduation cycle. If you wait until the last minute, you may not have time to fix and submit for a re-evaluation if something gets flagged.

I was warned that you can also be bumped to the next graduation cycle if your fees (such as residency waiver) aren't paid up before the degree audit occurs, even though that can be fixed in five minutes with a phone call and credit card.

tl;dr: try to aim to get all your transcripts into TESU by the application cutoff date, but you can be late as long as you coordinate with advising and get your transcripts in with enough time for them to be evaluated before the degree audit occurs.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(01-29-2019, 05:48 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(01-29-2019, 12:53 PM)davewill Wrote: [...]

TESU requests that all courses be completed before the application deadline, and yes they will accept transfer courses later. However, delaying until mid-May for a June graduation would be pushing the limits. If you're going to be that late, I'd recommend coordination with advising to make sure they know that credits are incoming, and when. Also, keep in mind that it takes a while to get transcripts evaluated once they arrive. Yes, they will prioritize people who have applied for graduation, but it could still take a while.

I believe the timing on this may also depend on when the degree audits are completed. If all the required courses do not yet appear on your transcript when your degree audit occurs, that could bump you to the next graduation cycle. If you wait until the last minute, you may not have time to fix and submit for a re-evaluation if something gets flagged.

I was warned that you can also be bumped to the next graduation cycle if your fees (such as residency waiver) aren't paid up before the degree audit occurs, even though that can be fixed in five minutes with a phone call and credit card.

tl;dr: try to aim to get all your transcripts into TESU by the application cutoff date, but you can be late as long as you coordinate with advising and get your transcripts in with enough time for them to be evaluated before the degree audit occurs.

Merlin,

Thank you for the reply. All transfer credits are evaluated and transcribed.  I only have the Capstone left.  I should be done with it in late April.

I will certainly coordinate with advising.  However, based on several other folks and their experience with applying for graduation while they are mid-Capstone, I think I will be ok.

I am not above begging them, and maybe crying a little bit.   Big Grin
B.A.L.S 2019 
Pierpont College

(01-29-2019, 05:58 PM)ChilliDawg Wrote: Merlin,

Thank you for the reply. All transfer credits are evaluated and transcribed.  I only have the Capstone left.  I should be done with it in late April.

I will certainly coordinate with advising.  However, based on several other folks and their experience with applying for graduation while they are mid-Capstone, I think I will be ok.

I am not above begging them, and maybe crying a little bit.   Big Grin

No worries. It sounds like you're all good. February capstone works fine for June graduation. You shouldn't need to coordinate with advising since TESU already knows you're taking your capstone. The degree audit for your account won't begin until your final grades post in early May.

My response was mainly for folks who may be reading this thread and don't have all their courses evaluated before the application cutoff. I would hate for someone to miss their graduation because they weren't forewarned about the risks of waiting until the last minute to submit transcripts.

Personally, I busted my butt to complete the last 6 courses I needed just before my capstone started so I wouldn't be in a position to have to submit transcripts after the cutoff date.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • ChilliDawg
Good luck! I'm taking the Feb Capstone and aiming for June graduation as well. I can't wait to be done!
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
[-] The following 1 user Likes TexasTink's post:
  • ChilliDawg