Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SNHU Communication BA Equivalents
Are there equivalents for any of the SNHU classes below through Sophia/SDC/Saylor/InsantCert/etc.?
I tried to search on my own but only found the one public speaking course listed below. 

COM-127 Introduction to Communication 
COM-213 Public Speak/Present Skills -- maybe Sophia.org Public Speaking
COM-225 Com with Diverse Audiences 
COM-229 Visual Communication & Design 
COM-311 Social Media Strategy
COM-321 Global Communication
COM-326 Strategic Storytelling
COM-405 Personal Brand Communications
COM-413 Management of Com Projects
COM-431 Organizational Branding
COM-449 Communication Law/Media Ethics
COM-315 Communication in Digital Age
COM-329 New Media Technologies
COM-445 Writing for New Media
MKT-355 Social Media Marketing Strat
COM-127 Introduction to Communication - maybe Saylor's COMM001: Principles of Human Communication?
COM-229 Visual Communication & Design - Sophia's Visual Communication (although you may already have this course)
MKT-355 Social Media Marketing Strat - SDC's BUS 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising

Also - Technical Writing (SDC, DSST, TECEP)
Technical Communication (TECEP)
Public Relations Thought & Practice (TECEP)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
SNHU isn't really popular on here. Hopefully someone will be able to provide you with some transfer info. This forum tends to focus on TESU, UMPI, WGU, Excelsior, and COSC. These schools typically accept more ACE credits than others and some accept NCCRS credits.
(06-03-2022, 09:20 PM)dfrecore Wrote: COM-127 Introduction to Communication - maybe Saylor's COMM001: Principles of Human Communication?
COM-229 Visual Communication & Design - Sophia's Visual Communication (although you may already have this course)
MKT-355 Social Media Marketing Strat - SDC's BUS 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising

Also - Technical Writing (SDC, DSST, TECEP)
Technical Communication (TECEP)
Public Relations Thought & Practice (TECEP)

Thank you for the suggestions. I will run these by the school to see what might work.

(06-04-2022, 08:00 AM)ss20ts Wrote: SNHU isn't really popular on here. Hopefully someone will be able to provide you with some transfer info. This forum tends to focus on TESU, UMPI, WGU, Excelsior, and COSC. These schools typically accept more ACE credits than others and some accept NCCRS credits.

Yes I noticed that SNHU isn't so popular. I saw a few posts about it and there is some transfer info available so I thought I would give it a shot and ask. 

I see you went to UMPI for a BA Business Administration with Marketing Concentration. Can I ask how many classes you ended up taking through UPMPI? And how long it took you to complete the BA? 
This was exactly the degree I choose when I initially applied to UMPI. They didn't transfer as many of my AAS and AP credits as some other schools so I got a little frustrated. The main reason I applied at UMPI was I was anticipating it to be the fastest route to a BABS but then I need to do a lot of alternative credits to get there. 

If I posted my transcript evaluation would you take a look and let me know your thoughts?

Attached Files
.pdf   UMPI Evaluation HT.pdf (Size: 203.71 KB / Downloads: 8)
I have earned 2 degrees from UMPI. Each one took me 3 sessions - 24 weeks.

Transferring isn't about worrying about using past credits. The best thing to do is pick a program that interests you most and make sure that you can complete it in time and within your budget. SNHU is a semester based kind of program. You can't accelerate through classes like you can at UMPI and WGU which are CBE programs. You move through CBE programs at your own pace. You're not stuck on a professors schedule for 8 or 15 weeks. Many people on here went from 0 or a few credits to having graduated from UMPI in 6 months. We have plans on here that list what courses are needed and where to take them. Sophia is very easy and many people can complete several courses in a month on there. They take classes which are known for transferring to UMPI. Don't focus on your past credits. Focus on what degree you want and what you need to do to complete it. ?

For your degree audit, I would take ENG121 at UMPI. It is an easy course and it's 1 paper. Everywhere else it's multiple papers. Definitely don't take it on Sophia. That class is hell. Take American Government on InstantCert. It's also an easy course at UMPI. Most of us who took it at UMPI completed it in like 3 days. Take Environmental Science on Sophia. Take Biology 101L or Chemistry 111L on Study.com. Take US History 1 or 2 on Sophia. Take Spanish from InstantCert or Sophia. And then your GEC is completed.

I wouldn't take the digital marketing course on Study.com. I'd take BUS330 at UMPI. It's an exam. You have to take the remaining Marketing Concentration courses at UMPI. There isn't an ACE equivalent. Same for BUS353. Also keep in mind that Study.com is $200 a month and you can complete 2 classes. You can complete up to 3 more in a month and they cost $70 per class. It's not always cheaper or faster to take classes on Study.com than UMPI. UMPI UL courses tend to be faster as there's 1 paper not multiple papers like Study has.

Something else with UMPI. The session is a flat $1400. There are no additional fees or textbooks to buy. You can complete as many classes as you can during those 8 weeks. There are people who've completed 10+ courses in 1 session. That is rare but people have done it. Most people finish in 2-3 sessions depending on how many courses they have to take at UMPI. 10 courses is the absolute minimum everyone has to take at UMPI. Most take more. Also consider if you want to go to grad school in the future. They usually are looking at your last 60 credits earned and want letter grades to calculate a GPA so the more classes taken at UMPI can be better if you want to go to grad school in the future.
(06-03-2022, 08:27 PM)javabeanstudio Wrote: Are there equivalents for any of the SNHU classes below through Sophia/SDC/Saylor/InsantCert/etc.?
I tried to search on my own but only found the one public speaking course listed below. 

COM-127 Introduction to Communication 
COM-213 Public Speak/Present Skills -- maybe Sophia.org Public Speaking
COM-225 Com with Diverse Audiences 
COM-229 Visual Communication & Design 
COM-311 Social Media Strategy
COM-321 Global Communication
COM-326 Strategic Storytelling
COM-405 Personal Brand Communications
COM-413 Management of Com Projects
COM-431 Organizational Branding
COM-449 Communication Law/Media Ethics
COM-315 Communication in Digital Age
COM-329 New Media Technologies
COM-445 Writing for New Media
MKT-355 Social Media Marketing Strat

None of those courses match up with Sophia/Saylor/SL/CLEP/DSST

You will need to talk with an SNHU advisor for SDC courses or other providers.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(06-04-2022, 09:28 AM)ss20ts Wrote: I have earned 2 degrees from UMPI. Each one took me 3 sessions - 24 weeks.

Transferring isn't about worrying about using past credits. The best thing to do is pick a program that interests you most and make sure that you can complete it in time and within your budget. SNHU is a semester based kind of program. You can't accelerate through classes like you can at UMPI and WGU which are CBE programs. You move through CBE programs at your own pace. You're not stuck on a professors schedule for 8 or 15 weeks. Many people on here went from 0 or a few credits to having graduated from UMPI in 6 months. We have plans on here that list what courses are needed and where to take them. Sophia is very easy and many people can complete several courses in a month on there. They take classes which are known for transferring to UMPI. Don't focus on your past credits. Focus on what degree you want and what you need to do to complete it.  ?

For your degree audit, I would take ENG121 at UMPI. It is an easy course and it's 1 paper. Everywhere else it's multiple papers. Definitely don't take it on Sophia. That class is hell. Take American Government on InstantCert. It's also an easy course at UMPI. Most of us who took it at UMPI completed it in like 3 days. Take Environmental Science on Sophia. Take Biology 101L or Chemistry 111L on Study.com. Take US History 1 or 2 on Sophia. Take Spanish from InstantCert or Sophia. And then your GEC is completed.

I wouldn't take the digital marketing course on Study.com. I'd take BUS330 at UMPI. It's an exam. You have to take the remaining Marketing Concentration courses at UMPI. There isn't an ACE equivalent. Same for BUS353. Also keep in mind that Study.com is $200 a month and you can complete 2 classes. You can complete up to 3 more in a month and they cost $70 per class. It's not always cheaper or faster to take classes on Study.com than UMPI. UMPI UL courses tend to be faster as there's 1 paper not multiple papers like Study has.

Something else with UMPI. The session is a flat $1400. There are no additional fees or textbooks to buy. You can complete as many classes as you can during those 8 weeks. There are people who've completed 10+ courses in 1 session. That is rare but people have done it. Most people finish in 2-3 sessions depending on how many courses they have to take at UMPI. 10 courses is the absolute minimum everyone has to take at UMPI. Most take more. Also consider if you want to go to grad school in the future. They usually are looking at your last 60 credits earned and want letter grades to calculate a GPA so the more classes taken at UMPI can be better if you want to go to grad school in the future.
Thank you ss20ts so, so much. I was a bit at loose ends and you've explained this so clearly that I feel much more confident with this plan. I was making spreadsheets to compare colleges and I was on information overload without guidance. I'm so glad I found this forum and I really appreciate the help. I'm going to push through the BSBA even though some of the initial courses (taking macroeconomics now) are turning me off to business. But I really want the business degree and you've made me feel like it's much more doable. 

I am considering an MBA after I finish the BABS. So I guess I'll try to make sure I do 20 classes/60 credits through UMPI. 

Questions:
  • Does UMPI do proctored exams?
  • I already took Macroeconomics at Sophia. Do I also need to take Microeconomics to satisfy the UMPI class Eco 207 Macro and Micro Economics?
  • For the lab science -- if this class is the only SDC class I am taking would it be better to[b] just go through UMPI? Or is there a benefit to doing thought SDC (easier, faster, etc.)?[/b]
  • Should I take Bus 150 Intro to Financial Accounting [b]at UMPI or would Sophia Accounting work? If I took this at Sophia I would still have 20 classes through UMPI so its a toss up.[/b]
(06-04-2022, 10:36 AM)javabeanstudio Wrote: Questions:
  • Does UMPI do proctored exams?
  • I already took Macroeconomics at Sophia. Do I also need to take Microeconomics to satisfy the UMPI class Eco 207 Macro and Micro Economics?
  • For the lab science -- if this class is the only SDC class I am taking would it be better to[b] just go through UMPI? Or is there a benefit to doing thought SDC (easier, faster, etc.)?[/b]
  • Should I take Bus 150 Intro to Financial Accounting [b]at UMPI or would Sophia Accounting work? If I took this at Sophia I would still have 20 classes through UMPI so its a toss up.[/b]

1. UMPI doesn't have proctored exams. A lot of courses have papers. How it works is that you turn in a draft first, the professor approves the draft, and then you turn in the final. Doing things this way, you give yourself a very high probability you will graduate with honors with a GPA of 3.5+
2. You need to take both Macro and Microeconomics. You will get 6 credits for taking these courses which 3 credits go into your free electives.
3. Definity take Biology with lab at SDC as students reported that the biology course at UMPI is a hot mess that takes a long time.
4. The Financial Accounting courses should be quick to do on Sophia, so you may as well take it on Sophia.

I would suggest getting it down to 11-15 classes to do at UMPI.

Here is the UMPI marketing degree plan
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

Keep pushing through those Sophia courses!
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
This thread was in regards to SNHU Communications BA Equivalents but quickly changed to UMPI BABA Marketing.  So, I refer you to a post I completed a few minutes ago, you may want to decide on the degree and school you want to "finish" at.  Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid368537
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Vle045

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 572 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  Can anyone share their experience with Edx Critical Business Skills course by SNHU? lorabel 7 1,498 03-17-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information New Sophia courses coming: Python and Business Communication! MNomadic 27 4,707 08-19-2022, 07:36 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Davar Managerial Communication Flelm 5 1,367 04-29-2021, 07:50 AM
Last Post: Flelm
  New Sophia Course - Communication at Work ashkir 44 9,050 02-06-2021, 06:07 AM
Last Post: Flelm
  How to find out which courses are accepted by SNHU? Ruroni 8 4,998 12-03-2020, 11:28 AM
Last Post: beto
  Sophia Visual Communication and WGU oroseeo 3 1,351 04-30-2020, 01:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Saylor's Communication course Kalopsia 12 2,551 08-06-2019, 07:26 PM
Last Post: cecilgambe7
  Business Communication FishNDip 15 2,596 08-04-2019, 03:35 PM
Last Post: AwardTour
  Taking Out My Anger on Saylor BUS210 Corporate Communication Dan A Million 13 2,968 07-06-2019, 03:25 PM
Last Post: dfrecore