Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Languages on Modern States?
For the sample language CLEP exam questions, I'm seeing transcripts of the audio files on Modern States. 

I believe that the real exam won't be like this? I'd best ignore the transcripts and rely on the audio only to get better practice?

You can do that, but I highly recommend going to the local library and borrowing a book/cd or DVD combo. I assume you're going for French or Spanish? There are tonnes of available CD/DVD titles at the local library for FREE. It will prepare you to listen to them while you're "doing other work". But once in a while, you should read along with the book and see if you can understand what is written...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
The real exam is listening comprehension, there won't be any transcripts available. I've also heard that for Spanish, the sound quality is terrible, so you have to REALLY know what they're saying.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-04-2018, 07:52 PM)Ideas Wrote: For the sample language CLEP exam questions, I'm seeing transcripts of the audio files on Modern States. 

I believe that the real exam won't be like this? I'd best ignore the transcripts and rely on the audio only to get better practice?

Here is a breakdown of the foreign language exams and how you're tested:

(EDITED)
NYU-FLP: reading, writing, listening, speaking (12-16 cr)
CLEP: reading, listening (6-9 cr)
ACTFL oral : listening, speaking (2-12 cr)
ACTFL written: reading, writing (2-12 cr)
Advanced Placement: reading, writing, listening, speaking (6-8 cr)
(09-05-2018, 01:11 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(09-04-2018, 07:52 PM)Ideas Wrote: For the sample language CLEP exam questions, I'm seeing transcripts of the audio files on Modern States. 

NYU-FLP:  reading, writing, listening, speaking (12-16 cr)
CLEP: reading, listening, speaking (6-9 cr)
Advanced Placement:  reading, writing, listening, speaking (6-8 cr)

For the CLEP and AP, how do they test speaking??  I know the CLEP does not, I can't imagine the AP exam does either.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-05-2018, 01:41 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 01:11 PM)cookderosa Wrote: [quote='Ideas' pid='268604' dateline='1536108722']
For the sample language CLEP exam questions, I'm seeing transcripts of the audio files on Modern States. 

NYU-FLP:  reading, writing, listening, speaking (12-16 cr)
CLEP: reading, listening, speaking (6-9 cr)
Advanced Placement:  reading, writing, listening, speaking (6-8 cr)

For the CLEP and AP, how do they test speaking??  I know the CLEP does not, I can't imagine the AP exam does either.
[/quote

speaking should NOT be on that list- sorry- I tried to copy/paste a chart that I have and it's jacked up, so I tried to carry it over from the scrambled mess - shouldn't have tried lol.
CLEP tests only reading and listening. AP does test speaking, but I don't know how. https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/cours...lture/exam
I have edited my op
MS should fix their course(s) then. It's misleading with the transcript there.

Plus, through the official CLEP site, it's showing that you're not supposed to even see the answer choices written out. You're only supposed to hear the answer choices. I think you're not even supposed to see the question or title written out. With the MS layout it's kind of hard to scroll up and down and try not to see the transcribed question or answer choices. Also the questions and answers are tacked onto the same audio and they play without stopping. I find I have to pause, scroll down and choose my answer while trying not to see anything except for the A, B, C, D, E and then scroll back up and unpause.

Also, I think MS should warn everyone that on the test you cannot replay the initial audio.

I'm uncertain if you can replay the questions/answers on the real exam. I think it might be allowed.

(09-06-2018, 06:38 PM)Ideas Wrote: MS should fix their course(s) then. It's misleading with the transcript there.

Plus, through the official CLEP site, it's showing that you're not supposed to even see the answer choices written out. You're only supposed to hear the answer choices. I think you're not even supposed to see the question or title written out. With the MS layout it's kind of hard to scroll up and down and try not to see the transcribed question or answer choices. Also the questions and answers are tacked onto the same audio and they play without stopping. I find I have to pause, scroll down and choose my answer while trying not to see anything except for the A, B, C, D, E and then scroll back up and unpause.

Also, I think MS should warn everyone that on the test you cannot replay the initial audio.

I'm uncertain if you can replay the questions/answers on the real exam. I think it might be allowed.

I would not use MS for prep for the listening portion of the CLEP, unless you have no other choice.  If you're taking Spanish, then spanishhour.com was designed for this.
The listening portion seems easier (for me) than the fill-in-the-blank with the verb tenses and those trickier grammar rules.

And I haven't tried it yet, but there's one section with a really long reading passage. I don't know if I've ever seen a reading passage that long on any test in my life.

However, I bet the audio will be less clear at the test center, making it harder. Personally though, I plan to spend a lot of time studying verbs and those main rules. Less on listening, but I'll do that too. Maybe Spanish Hour, thanks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 411 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  The most widely spoken languages in the world bjcheung77 10 633 12-08-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  I want Modern States to be in every student’s wheelhouse bjcheung77 0 365 09-28-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Modern States: At 60... & ICYMI... bjcheung77 2 370 08-28-2023, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  50 States - Average cost of college 2023 bjcheung77 1 378 08-16-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  More than a third of community college students have vanished in the United States JPN 18 2,084 04-12-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Hardest languages to learn - 25 ranked bjcheung77 1 761 11-14-2022, 12:39 AM
Last Post: Johann
  Free College Is Now a Reality in Nearly 30 States LevelUP 13 1,545 04-14-2022, 09:16 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Invented Languages - Not just Esperanto! bjcheung77 4 692 12-05-2021, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Johann
  Modern States: Mention of TESU+WGU (DF member?) bjcheung77 2 936 10-28-2021, 05:28 PM
Last Post: GizmoJack