Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last 2 upper electives
I am down to my last two electives. I've saved them for last, as my work was supposed to have me take the security+ comptia exam, which is two upper. Now that I've taken every credit that I can and they haven't come through with the cert yet, I'm looking for alternatives.

Tests I've taken so far:
4 MCSE UL credits
bunch of lower level electives and such that wont overlap

01-28-2009 Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
02-04-2009 Introductory Psychology
02-04-2009 Introductory Sociology
02-04-2009 Human Growth and Development
02-04-2009 Introduction to Educational Psychology
02-17-2009 Abnormal Psychology
02-19-2009 Management Information Systems
02-23-2009 Research Methods In Psychology
02-24-2009 Criminal Justice
02-24-2009 Introduction to Law Enforcement
03-03-2009 Psychology Of Adulthood & Aging
03-05-2009 Foundations Of Gerontology
03-09-2009 Social Psychology
03-17-2009 World Population

Any suggestions on what ULs would be fastest for me? I did most of the above with less than a weekend of study each, but they overlap a lot.

All my lower level credits are psych for the most part too, so I don't have a grounding in finance or history for the other UL DSSTs. I've avoided them for that reason so far. I am studying the ECE Labor relations test just to study something right now, but I'd be open to switching to study something else if someone suggests an easy way to close out my degree.

These last two credits are frustrating me. Besides cost, the nearest test center for comptia is hours away, so its a full day off work during the week if I decide to just pay for it myself. No test centers within driving distance are open on the weekends for comptia.
caitlyn4321 Wrote:I am down to my last two electives. I've saved them for last, as my work was supposed to have me take the security+ comptia exam, which is two upper. Now that I've taken every credit that I can and they haven't come through with the cert yet, I'm looking for alternatives.

Tests I've taken so far:
4 MCSE UL credits
bunch of lower level electives and such that wont overlap

01-28-2009 Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
02-04-2009 Introductory Psychology
02-04-2009 Introductory Sociology
02-04-2009 Human Growth and Development
02-04-2009 Introduction to Educational Psychology
02-17-2009 Abnormal Psychology
02-19-2009 Management Information Systems
02-23-2009 Research Methods In Psychology
02-24-2009 Criminal Justice
02-24-2009 Introduction to Law Enforcement
03-03-2009 Psychology Of Adulthood & Aging
03-05-2009 Foundations Of Gerontology
03-09-2009 Social Psychology
03-17-2009 World Population

Any suggestions on what ULs would be fastest for me? I did most of the above with less than a weekend of study each, but they overlap a lot.

All my lower level credits are psych for the most part too, so I don't have a grounding in finance or history for the other UL DSSTs. I've avoided them for that reason so far. I am studying the ECE Labor relations test just to study something right now, but I'd be open to switching to study something else if someone suggests an easy way to close out my degree.

These last two credits are frustrating me. Besides cost, the nearest test center for comptia is hours away, so its a full day off work during the week if I decide to just pay for it myself. No test centers within driving distance are open on the weekends for comptia.

you are a beast! in a good way. that is some strong work ethic... Smile

i suggest environment and race to save humanity and civil war...

how did u manage 4 in a day?
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
The 4 in a day was due almost purely to overlap. I studied for psych and soc by going through IC and REA. When I went to go through it all a second time I was remembering it. Rather than go over it a bunch I just went through the other two in IC to see what they were like after I heard they overlapped. I had psych and sociology scheduled, but I finished fast enough and with a good enough score I felt confident in moving on. If they had DSST at that center I'd have done 6 Tongue

My fast pace was done to keep the info fresh in my memory and to test before studying a topic got boring. I wasn't really rushing, thats just the speed I was ready. If I study too long I get bored. I'll start forgetting info, but recognise it when I see the flashcard so its too boring to relearn. An adaptation to ADD I guess. I'm also deathly afraid that if I give myself time to breath, I'll see something shiney and walk off after it.

Civil war scares me, so I'll have to avoid it. I'm not good with dates, history is about the worst possible subject for me Smile And it looks like the environment and humanity test is lower level, won't help me here. I just have 2 UL left.
Is the study material for DSST Ethics the same as the ECE Ethics? If so, maybe I'll do that instead of labor. It looks like it has good info in the specific exam section
Have you considered the DSST Substance Abuse? There will be a little bit of overlap from all your psychology studying, and I thought it was the easiest of the upper level exams that I have taken.
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
From recent experience I would say Civil War DSST and Substance Abuse or Mangement Information Systems DSST (all for UL credit).

Good luck,

Doug
Oh, I thought EC didn't give UL credit for substance abuse. Thats great news, I'd forgotten completely about that one Smile Looks like thats the one I'll pick. Yay, I don't have to wait on my work for that certification then!

Thank you everyone
Here's to Your Health has just been bumped to Upper level credit per ACE. I had contacted ECE and the counselor said yes it would be upper level. Based on what I have been reading I decided today to call her again and ask her to add it to my approved courses at upper level. She let me know that she misspoke and that yes it is considered upper level with ACE but ECE had not made a determination as of yet. I could always check back later but if I take the test before ECE formally changes their policy, I would only receive lower level credit. Sorry to get anyone hopes up.
I am scheduled for 2 weeks from now. DSST are harder for me to schedule than others due to the base being the only place to take them near me, and a commander on base is requiring college credits to get a good eval. The ed office gets booked out pretty far when eval times come around.

It couldn't hurt for me to study both substance abuse and HTYH though, SA looks like an easy A. Anyone who went to high school in a city should have no problem Smile That gives me plenty of time to study a backup in case I blow the first for some reason, I can take the second in the same sitting and still finish my degree.
EC just denied me the HTYH, they told me they wont be changing their policy for awarding credit in regard to that exam. So it would still be lower level and not apply. Per Penny in the LA advising office

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,048 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  ASNSM Mathematics AOS Electives shadowgem 8 1,870 08-21-2018, 02:43 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Need one more BALS Upper Level badooble 12 3,059 07-28-2018, 08:22 AM
Last Post: quigongene
  TESU free electives Tripletmom 1 1,206 06-29-2018, 05:41 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Using electives in BSBA to get most of a Psychology degree done Dowew 3 1,129 06-07-2018, 05:30 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Upper Level Credits at Excelsior - via ACE? Silly_Me 27 10,594 05-16-2018, 05:10 PM
Last Post: scout2family
  TESU - Free Ethics Course/ Upper-Level vs Ethics Requirement Silly_Me 12 3,120 05-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  BSBA CIS upper level (TESU) fork 23 5,928 04-23-2018, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Upper Level - core vs AOS - TESU mansion7 9 2,794 04-22-2018, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rixbae
  Thomas Edison State College Upper level Accounting Credit - HELP! DeterminedStudent 28 5,836 04-19-2018, 07:55 AM
Last Post: Yenisei