Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest of bloomers needing fast plan
Hi all. I never went to college when i was younger. I did complete hypnotherapy college prior to the pandemic, but I don’t believe any of that would transfer. I have always worked hard and the physical cost has brought me to a reevaluation of my remaining work life so it’s time for school. I’m ASD and my superpower is not forgetting facts that I have learned, so I’m pretty confident that if I can figure out how to get past the executive function issue of an unloaded starting gun I can blow through all this pretty quickly. 

I’m interested in obtaining 2 bachelor degrees. First one should be something that allows me to apply for either QA testing, SysAdmin, software implementation trainer, or electronic health information related jobs. Second degree should be in animal behavior or something similar, as I’m also going to be doing some professional dog training and want a respectable bio for that. Ideally both degrees could be achieved at the same school, but if not then at least simultaneously.

I am 54/F, Southern California, non-US citizen but decades long permanent resident. No transferable college credits that I recall. My preference would be CLEP type credits for the most part. No commitments aside from full time work and even that allows for a lot of studying if needed. Money is an issue so I will be looking at Pierpoint for sure. I’m not completely opposed to capstone requirements, but would avoid if possible just because of time constraints. Also I’m much better at self-paced as I don’t process information as well when I’m just listening to a presenter. 

Any guidance is much appreciated. Sorry for the terrible formatting of my post. *my citizenship is English, so schools in England that I might be eligible for are also welcome. I could also apply for my Irish passport if a good enough reason came up.
You could do a business major with a concentration in information systems
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

All degree plans
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ca...gree_Plans

I wouldn't bother with getting a college degree in animal behavior. Instead, I would focus on reading books and getting some experience in dog training by volunteering your time or fostering dogs.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 4 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • davewill, FastTrackDegree, origamishuttle, rachel83az
If you really, really wanted, TESU has a dog Biology/psychology course you could take and then transfer elsewhere: https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=BIO-310&sem= But just that course would run about $1500.

If you prefer exams, I'm not sure I'd recommend UMPI. UMPI is mostly papers. If you're okay with writing papers, UMPI is great. Otherwise, I'd probably suggest a BSBA Computer Information Systems from TESU. You could then take BIO-310 as part of a flat-rate 16-credit term to save money.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, origamishuttle
A bachelor's in animal husbandry or some such is not one of the degrees we have found alternative means to earn and would therefore not be an easy or cheap endeavor. In your shoes, I would look to non-degree certifications, internships, or simple job experience to bolster your resume in that area.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • LevelUP
(11-29-2022, 11:58 AM)davewill Wrote: A bachelor's in animal husbandry or some such is not one of the degrees we have found alternative means to earn and would therefore not be an easy or cheap endeavor. In your shoes, I would look to non-degree certifications, internships, or simple job experience to bolster your resume in that area.
Thank you. I will put that aside for a bit and just concentrate on the other degree. I’m working on some quality certifications as far as dog training, but figured I would inquire about animal related since I will be taking classes anyway.

(11-28-2022, 01:55 PM)LevelUP Wrote: You could do a business major with a concentration in information systems
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

All degree plans
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ca...gree_Plans

I wouldn't bother with getting a college degree in animal behavior. Instead, I would focus on reading books and getting some experience in dog training by volunteering your time or fostering dogs.
Thank you, this is very helpful. My desire for a degree related to animal behavior is not for the experience. It’s more because like any other industry the people with relevant degrees can attract a higher quality client. For now I will just focus on Information Systems.

(11-28-2022, 02:24 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If you really, really wanted, TESU has a dog Biology/psychology course you could take and then transfer elsewhere: https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=BIO-310&sem= But just that course would run about $1500.

If you prefer exams, I'm not sure I'd recommend UMPI. UMPI is mostly papers. If you're okay with writing papers, UMPI is great. Otherwise, I'd probably suggest a BSBA Computer Information Systems from TESU. You could then take BIO-310 as part of a flat-rate 16-credit term to save money.
I will take a look at UMPI as well. Thank you, and thank you also for the Bio suggestion. Looks very interesting!
You might be able to get a Master's in Animal Behavior, or something related, at a more affordable price than getting a Bachelor's in that field. I would definitely look into that. There might or might not be some prerequisites that would be required at the Bachelor's level, so you'd want to make sure you hit those prereqs when going for the business degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 576 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 620 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 239 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 9 366 04-07-2024, 10:32 PM
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,087 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Need some advice on my plan jobojoe285 3 217 03-29-2024, 09:16 PM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 562 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 545 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
  UMPI plan iggym32 3 280 03-20-2024, 05:52 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 476 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy